It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a Gambler and is Gambling a sin?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: DpatC

No to the thread title, God already knows the outcome and there are passages in the bible which show he is both outside of our normal interpretation of time itself and is working not only from the beginning of creation to the end but also from the end of creation in the final plan he has for it back to the beginning, sound's a bit strange but God would have to blind himself to gamble because he knows what will be in absolute and perfect detail.

So he could not gamble because to do so would be to ignore what he already know's, gambling is based on chance and God is not Chance he is absolute destiny.

And that makes sense to you?

What about, Man has free will?
If God predetermines everything before it even came into existance, then there is no original sin, no sin at all, the only sinner then is the deity who made the being that would have to do the sin.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
On one of my bookshelves at home I have noticed that a strange order of books that got me asking the question as to whether God is a gambler or not and if Gambling is a sin.
Let me explain one one shelf I have the forllowing order of books
Cisco - Network Fundamentals
Lost Languaguages - by Andrew robertson
Cuneiform - reading the past - CBF Walker
The origins of words and phrases - readers digest
Funk and Wagnalls Dictionary
Ontop of these books I have stacked the following Books on top of one another - in order
Sports Arbitrage by Rajeev Shah
A history of God - Karen Armstrong
The case for God - Karen Armstrong
Grow -- Jim Stengal
And on top of all that a book on terminology for Artifical Intelligence..
"God" must have been a gambler! Any thoughts?

We are the inner workings or chaos.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Just because man has free will doesn't mean that everything hasn't happened yet. That is if time is totally accessible to God

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Being omnipotent is very boring. Maybe God is experiencing the thrill of having limitations through us as we play our chances.

Gambling is like alcohol or drugs. As long as you use them responsibly it is not a sin in my opinion. If you are not responsible and people who depend on you get hurt then its a sin.

Whenever I gamble, I always have a bankroll. Once I lose my bankroll my day is done. I never chase my loses. I love gambling. But I do it responsibly.

I agree I gamble with friends, only small amounts to have fun. Win or lose I have a pre determined amount I am happy, can afford to lose
It's not sinful, if you don't let it control you

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

No to the thread title, God already knows the outcome and there are passages in the bible which show he is both outside of our normal interpretation of time itself and is working not only from the beginning of creation to the end but also from the end of creation in the final plan he has for it back to the beginning, sound's a bit strange but God would have to blind himself to gamble because he knows what will be in absolute and perfect detail.

So he could not gamble because to do so would be to ignore what he already know's, gambling is based on chance and God is not Chance he is absolute destiny.

Yeah maybe what looks like a gamble to us is more of a game or I hope at least a school

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: yughii

Just because man has free will doesn't mean that everything hasn't happened yet. That is if time is totally accessible to God

aka, just because you seen the movie doesn't mean you know how it ends.
....thats exactly what it means!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Ah! But then, all input can be an educational experience or an epiphany.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

If you are saying that my statement is logically indefensible, you are right. I was gambling that you wouldn't refute it.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I like to gamble....and one profound statement that all gamblers should heed is.

Look around the table and if you can't spot the chump...it's you! Amarillo Slim

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

There is a distinct difference between knowing what shall be and making it come to pass and pre-determination, in that it is actually we whom determine our act's, god simply knows what we will do before hand, he know's his own from the devil's own.

But just to show that I may be wrong in my oversimplified view, because remember I am thinking with the faulty brain and mind of a human being.

Matthew 13:25
Jesus presented another parable to them: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25But while everyone was asleep, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and slipped away. 26When the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the weeds also appeared

God is the man who sowed the good seed on the earth - his field but while he was resting his enemy the devil then sowed his own evil seed among them - like a cuckoo so that they would steal what is our's and the devil would claim the world as his own.

So the counter argument is that God did not know his enemy would do that but that he DOES know his own from the devil's spawn.

Of course that is actually not the total correct interpretation because the parable is about the kingdom of heaven not just the earth.

Interestingly if you read up on Lucifer the devil you will find it describes him as once being adorned much like the high priest later was but he was not content with being the high priest and believed he should be God himself which led to the war in heaven.
So in the Devil you have a former high priest, a creature not a begotten being who has been cast down for his crime's but is still trying to make himself into God but hate's us utterly because we are NOT his, even those fool's that worship the devil are hated utterly by him, he want's his own to have what is our's not us to have it.

There is actually a war all around you, every day not only out there but in your own heart, it was not just devil seed among us but evil has also forced its way into humanity and the spirit which God gave to us for our own soul from his own breath of life is something that evil is trying constantly to destroy, the devil can not attack god directly but he does attack his children on the earth.

Why does God not step in now - Free will, also think on the damage he would do to the delicate structure of creation if he directly acted against the devil though in fact the devil now, so all thing's in there due time.

But is there free will?, is there predestination?.
Or is that simply an argument that does not really matter because in the end whatever will be to be shall be whether it is meant to be or not.

What matters to me is that we have a choice, we can refuse to be on the rail's the devil want's us to be on, what probably matters to god is not when we have no choice because the devil has taken it away but what we do when he give's us that choice back, God or the Devil, Life (not necessarily physical but spiritual) or Death that is the choice when we are given it.

His son, God himself walked among us as a man, the choice for us is to be his children by entering through that door or to be destroyed in the fullness of time with the devil.

This is a bad world because the Devil made it so, because he rebelled against the creator and brought sin - death and entropy - into being in the universe, we are just unfortunate that we have had to come into being in a world that is not perfect but it is not perfect because of the Devil not because of God.

This is not cannon interpretation but is a good one based on pre-adamite man belief.
www.kjvbible.org...

edit on 16-9-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: TheLead

He gambled with the devil in Job in the old testament.

The bible was written by men.

I concur. It's a sensationalized collection of historical "faction". It's the personification of good an evil, a moral doctrine. The biblical God has to many human traits to have been written under the direct tutelage of the infallible. Doesn't mean the artistry and moral code should be entirely dismissed or that it shouldn't be held in some type of reverence. Imo

originally posted by: FyreByrd

edit on 9/16/2017 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

He gambled with the devil in Job in the old testament.

The bible was written by men.

I concur. It's a sensationalized collection of historical "faction". It's the personification of good an evil, a moral doctrine. The biblical God has to many human traits to have been written under the direct tutelage of the infallible. Doesn't mean the artistry and moral code should be entirely dismissed or that it shouldn't be held in some type of reverence. Imo

Quote by In The Light: Men are prone to err, just saying!

edit on 19CDT09America/Chicago05790930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 19CDT09America/Chicago05890930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Here's a son by Chris de Burgh, about the lord and the devil playing cards:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

And this you have it: God gave up what he knew to experience what he did not know, he created in himself ignorance Nd in that ignorance is our universe

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC

What do you think?

I don't think 'god' is a person/ an anthropomorphized being therefore the question is a waste of time.

May I ask how do you think or see God?

As the sum total of all creation.

It is aware but in the sense that a spider web is aware - it is not 'self-aware'.

If we don't fight 'reality' or 'what's happening now' and get our ego out of the , we can be in coherence with that power and life is less stessful.

It is part of us it's basic goodness and wisdom is available to us.

But it doesn't judge or demand - it just offers.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   

if u add all the numbers on a roulette table u get 666 so yeah its a sin and no god aint a gambler he is all knowing he wouldnt be able to make a bet or if he did he would already know the outcome

edit on 17-9-2017 by misterassist69 because: splln

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: misterassist69

if u add all the numbers on a roulette table u get 666 so yeah its a sin and no god aint a gambler he is all knowing he wouldnt be able to make a bet or if he did he would already know the outcome

God is said to be 'all knowing' - it means God is what is knowing presently. God is what is knowing these words that are appearing. God does not know any other time but now - it is always now when things can be known.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Answering this question on another level…

Gambling is only when there is something involved called chance.

God, as God, can’t technically gamble since he would penetrate chance with his sight. So he would be gambling only if he blindfolded himself.

Philosophically or metaphysically the question here is really does God limit himself.

That answer is YES he or she does

I like the way you think. But your second last sentence should read:
Philosophically or metaphysically the question here is really can God limit himself?

edit on 17-9-2017 by Incandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'd say he's as qualified as anyone else.

But that's fine. Don't consider him or what he has to say about God if you don't want.

Still doesn't change the fact that an All Knowing Being wouldn't be capable of Gambling since they already know the outcome before hand.

Despite your childish anthropomorphic vision of God, an all knowing being would not have the desire to gamble since Omnipotence would already know or have experienced every possible facet of gambling. The OP is ill conceived since God IS every possibility.

edit on 17-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

and as a gambler it never hurts to invoke the favor of....St. Cayetano

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join