It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican leaders in the room 'shell-shocked' following Trump deal with Democrats

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   
i love how all the armchair political analysts here who were totally wrong about everything during the election now think they have Trump all figured out.

Some people will never learn.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

You guys always find a way to rationalize your worst fears, in this case him siding with what "used" to be two of the most vile and disgusting politicians around, Schumer and Pelosi.

So much crap has been talked about those two by Trump supporters on these boards yet now it's ok to side with them because *insert convenient and "brilliant" troll tactic by Trump*.

It really is very predictable.
All the crap posted about those two is real crap and it's true...Trump didn't side with anyone...Trump is doing what's best for the American people and Trump...Just so happens the Democrats this time got something right...Trump and the crapsters agreed but I'm sure for different reasons...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
FOUR things about this:

1. This took the wind out of the GOP's sails today. Ryan and others in the Republican party were feeling pretty good about being able to take credit for a deal like this earlier in the day -- now they're not responsible for it.

2. Since this is a short-term band aid, they're going to have to vote again in 6 months to raise the debt ceiling all over again.

The problem?

The GOP can't do this alone. They need Democrat votes to raise the debt ceiling to avoid a government shut down.

Now, the Democrats can ask for concessions and are in a very strong position to bargain with the GOP. If the GOP refuses, and a government shut down happens -- the GOP majority can be blamed in the 2018 midterms because they weren't willing to work with the minority party.

3. Trump clearly hates Ryan and McConnell for not giving him what he wants. So, he decided to screw them on a debt deal. This will likely cause more GOP/Republicans to want Trump gone. They'll see Trump as a threat to their re-election chances. If Trump is going to run around them and make deals with the Democrats, it hurts the Republican party's "brand". The GOP doesn't want an erratic POTUS as a partner.

4. Trump is desperate for any kind of achievement. He wants to say he "did something". He's tired of not having anything of substance to to his name.

I honestly don't think Trump gives a rat's ass about hurricane victims. Trump has shown time and time again he only cares about himself. He probably doesn't even realize the political implications of this "deal" at all.

I believe this is true. I hope Pelosi and Schumer watch their backs. He plays ping pong between his good will and counter offenses to show strength.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Willtell

If by "doing good" you mean attaching the Texas money to a bill for a stop gap extension of the debt ceiling, ok.

Is there any particular reason the Texas money had to be attached to the stop gap extension? Other to to say "neener neener" to the Republicans? Or is that what you meant by "doing good?"

Texas was going to get the money. That's a no-brainer. The Democrats scored with this one. Bigly.

They sure did, and will pay for it in return come tax reform.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tulermank
A man who works with both parties is the least prejudiced.

at least they got something done.
his own party has fought him every step of the way since before he was elected

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
i love how all the armchair political analysts here who were totally wrong about everything during the election now think they have Trump all figured out.

This 100%.

Also, this is what a 3rd Party President would look like, free from the paint-by-numbers politics of the Reps or Dems.

I think it's refreshing to see this.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: tribal

This 100%.

Also, this is what a 3rd Party President would look like, free from the paint-by-numbers politics of the Reps or Dems.

I think it's refreshing to see this.

Oh, give us a BREAK.

This is the first move Trump has made to do anything bipartisan, and the only reason he's done this is "'punish" people who he thinks have insulted him publicly.

You know what's worse than folks who make mistakes about political analysis? Those who lie about it.
edit on 7-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

He gave the Reps a Chance to Save Face and Actually Do Something , now the Prez is going to make them Pay for their Foot Dragging . BRAVO !

Oh come on , this is clearly because Trump has his MaraLago estates in west palm beach. He is trying to save his Palace and clearly the Clintons summoned the storm.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yawn.

He defeated 16 establishment republican candidates as THE anti-establishment candidate.

originally posted by: Gryphon66
You know what's worse than folks who make mistakes about political analysis? Those who lie about it.

Exactly.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Trumps obvious dementia prevents him from knowing the difference between republicans and democrats.
As long as he gets the photo opps, camera time, and 'atta boys' it's a good day in Trumpdom.

Bannon is still Commander in Chief although behind the scenes....

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
From what I understand, they wanted the relief bill passed. The only way to do so, was with Democratic support. The only way the dems would support the bill, is if language was added to raise the debt ceiling.... Which leads us to where we are right now.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Yawn.

He defeated 16 establishment republican candidates as THE anti-establishment candidate.

Exactly.

The anti-establishment candidate that filled his cabinet with Goldman Sachs flunkies.

Yeah, tell us another one.

Here's a pillow.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Who was he supposed to hire? Joe the plummer?

The left and right ooze with Wall Street insiders. Even Bernie couldn't escape them.

You don't ask a baker to build you a home.

Keep the pillow. You seem to need it more than me.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by:

Yes because Trump is such a follower and Yes Man. Good Lord, give the man credit for his Ego at least!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Who was he supposed to hire? Joe the plummer?

The left and right ooze with Wall Street insiders. Even Bernie couldn't escape them.

You don't ask a baker to build you a home.

Keep the pillow. You seem to need it more than me.

Really? Trump's only choices were Joe the Plumber and Goldman Sachs?

Trump installed politicians, bankers and generals in his cabinet (except for the few bones he threw) ... all fully operational within "the Establishment."

Further, aside from Election Night Trump has continually trashed the Democrats and tried desperately to command respect from Republicans (failing miserably of course because of his ego) firmly discounting the absurd "third-party" stance you were supposedly arguing from.

Anything else?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: carewemust
I assume everyone knows the Democrat's motive for this 3-month agreement.

Did being jerks about Sandy really score Republicans points with voters? You have to start with small gestures on all sides.

Republicans picked up more House/Senate seats after Sandy.

Correlation doesn't not equal Causation. Playing games with people in need is a callous way of doing politics overall in the long run. Would you rather Hurricane aid not go as quickly as possible?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Anything that makes the Dems happy makes me deeply suspicious.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Really? Trump's only choices were Joe the Plumber and Goldman Sachs?

How about you provide us with a list of sufficient size to staff the government?

Waiting...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by:

Yes because Trump is such a follower and Yes Man. Good Lord, give the man credit for his Ego at least!

Ok but it's his ego that gets in the way of him being an effective leader. Trump thought the beltway was gonna be like NYC where he could revolve in the social circles. Now the Trump family doesn't get invited to the important social functions from either party. They realize he is just another toxic charlatan wannabe.

DC ain't NY

It's being leaked that Trump has become mean and disheartened in the Oval office and is taking it out on his staff.

Trump went off on Kelly in front of staff and that's something even a president doesn't do to a decorated Military man, general.

This democrat compromise is just a feeble attempt to regain the status he craves.
edit on 7-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
a reply to: FamCore

People like you are cute.

They are all friends behind closed doors. Opposition in public means your base supports you come re-election time.

It's all..a game.

To think that one Senator or Representative can't be friends with another because they are on differing sides of the aisle is ludicrous, as is the thought that such a relationship would need to be secretive. People who can't be friends with anyone other than those who have the exact same beliefs, are not only the minority, but of incredibly flawed character.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join