It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican leaders in the room 'shell-shocked' following Trump deal with Democrats

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
uhhh, yeah he wants to help people what the do you guys think??

Stop the party BS.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Trump better be careful he isn't falling in to a trap set by Pelosi. but if the deal ends up being bad i guess he can always blame them since proposed the plan. i am scared of anything Pelosi comes up with though to be honest.
edit on 6-9-2017 by luke1212 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Y'know this makes you a Nazi?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I assume everyone knows the Democrat's motive for this 3-month agreement.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Better than wasting days negotiating a longer period while parts of the Country need Help and assurance. Did being jerks about Sandy really score Republicans points with voters? You have to start with small gestures on all sides.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Y'know this makes you a Nazi?

So be it. I'll be the Hugo Stiglitz of the Nazis, if I need to be.

But I still don't think Trump is who his voters (or haters) think he is.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

GOP sided with not helping during Sandy with Obama and now they're siding with not helping with Trump.

Who do you think will look like crap in 2020?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Plus Irma looks like it's wiping out 90% of buildings in Barbuda. It's going to do a lot of damage in Florida and Maybe Beyond. We don't have time to dither over lenghts.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

GOP sided with not helping during Sandy with Obama and now they're siding with not helping with Trump.

Who do you think will look like crap in 2020?

With this 3 month agreement, Democrats could be hoping to force a government shut-down just before Christmas, and blame it on the party in power... Republicans. It's like a back-door method for boosting the Democratic party's chances for picking up more House/Senate seats in 2018. An act of desperation.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Did being jerks about Sandy really score Republicans points with voters? You have to start with small gestures on all sides.

Republicans picked up more House/Senate seats after Sandy.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Democrats could be hoping to force a government shut-down just before Christmas, and blame it on the party in power... Republicans.

No.
The Democrats know that they now have a lot of leverage to attach things to the bill (when it comes around again) and the Republicans will be in a pickle over how to deal with it. There are more than enough Republicans who really, really, don't want to see a shutdown. Trump would be fine with it though, right?

edit on 9/6/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Democrats could be hoping to force a government shut-down just before Christmas, and blame it on the party in power... Republicans.

No.
The Democrats know that they now have a lot of leverage to attach things to the bill (when it comes around again) the the Republicans will be in a pickle over how to deal with it. There are more than enough Republicans who really, really, don't want to see a shutdown. Trump would be fine with it though, right?

Aren't the shut-downs only a big deal in the mind of government leaders and the mainstream media? Since "essential services" are kept running, have prior shutdowns hurt anyone, to the best of your knowledge?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Yes. Many were. That's why the Republicans really, really don't want one to happen. But Donny knows best.

A full government shutdown last took place for a 21-day period, from Dec. 16, 1995, to Jan. 6, 1996; a related one also took place Nov. 13-19, 1995. These events prompted the furloughing of several hundred thousand workers and had wide implications for the U.S. economy. Important points in the report relating to the shutdowns in 1995-1996 include:

Health and welfare services for military veterans were curtailed; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped disease surveillance; new clinical research patients were not accepted at the National Institutes of Health; and toxic waste clean-up work at 609 sites was halted.
The closure of 368 Nation Park sites resulted in the loss of some 7 million visitors.
Recruitment and testing of federal law enforcement officials was reportedly cancelled, including the hiring of 400 border patrol agents.
200,000 applications for passports and 20,000 to 30,000 applications for visas by foreigners went unprocessed; U.S. tourism and airline industries incurred millions of dollars in losses.
More than 20% of federal contracts, representing $3.7 billion in spending, were affected adversely.

journalistsresource.org...

edit on 9/6/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The old-fashioned 1995 government shut-down has been replaced with a less severe version.

From October 1 through 16, 2013, the United States federal government entered a shutdown and curtailed most routine operations because neither legislation appropriating funds for fiscal year 2014 nor a continuing resolution for the interim authorization of appropriations for fiscal year 2014 was enacted in time. Regular government operations resumed October 17 after an interim appropriations bill was signed into law.

During the shutdown, approximately 800,000 federal employees were indefinitely furloughed, and another 1.3 million were required to report to work without known payment dates. Only those government services deemed "excepted" under the Antideficiency Act were continued; and only those employees deemed "excepted" continued to report to work.

en.wikipedia.org...

Were it not for the government employees receiving lost pay after they returned to work, the shut-downs might even save taxpayer dollars. President Trump would like that, just like he said after all the Americans were kicked out of Russia.."Think of all the money we save!"

edit on 9/7/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Unsurprising to see the unending praise for Trump's alleged "hyperspatial Parcheesi" here ... but this is really very simple.

Trump, man-child that he is, wants to spite Ryan and McConnell.

This is nothing more complicated than "neener neener" on the national scale.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Read a little more about that "updated" shutdown.
en.wikipedia.org...

No big deal. Right?
edit on 9/7/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This just shows how much more superior Saint President Trump is to all the Republicans and Democrats in government. Even moronic Democrats can come up with the best plan occasionally. Instead of always voting against the Democrats for spite and to obstruct (as they have done to him). He votes for what he thinks is best for all.

Even though the Republicans didn't get rid of Obama care yet. All of the Democrats opposed Trump (indicating an immature nature). Only a few Republicans opposed Trump.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
Yeah. But you're repeating myself.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
FOUR things about this:

1. This took the wind out of the GOP's sails today. Ryan and others in the Republican party were feeling pretty good about being able to take credit for a deal like this earlier in the day -- now they're not responsible for it.

2. Since this is a short-term band aid, they're going to have to vote again in 6 months to raise the debt ceiling all over again.

The problem?

The GOP can't do this alone. They need Democrat votes to raise the debt ceiling to avoid a government shut down.

Now, the Democrats can ask for concessions and are in a very strong position to bargain with the GOP. If the GOP refuses, and a government shut down happens -- the GOP majority can be blamed in the 2018 midterms because they weren't willing to work with the minority party.

3. Trump clearly hates Ryan and McConnell for not giving him what he wants. So, he decided to screw them on a debt deal. This will likely cause more GOP/Republicans to want Trump gone. They'll see Trump as a threat to their re-election chances. If Trump is going to run around them and make deals with the Democrats, it hurts the Republican party's "brand". The GOP doesn't want an erratic POTUS as a partner.

4. Trump is desperate for any kind of achievement. He wants to say he "did something". He's tired of not having anything of substance to to his name.

I honestly don't think Trump gives a rat's ass about hurricane victims. Trump has shown time and time again he only cares about himself. He probably doesn't even realize the political implications of this "deal" at all.

edit on 7-9-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: Willtell

This further solidifies my updated opinion of Trump. I used to think of him as Biff Tannen; stupid, over-privileged bully with an ego to fulfill.

But now... I'm characterizing him more as a Sandor Clegane. Jerk, bully, over-privileged... but gets so sick of his own side that he actually does the right thing, occasionally.

This gives me hope. The DACA thing is a bully move but it's a move that bullies GOP politicians into action, same with the ACA and the trans military ban.

So now you have Mad Dog stepping up to bring reason to the table, GOP congressfolks' lack of ACA replacement plans exposed, pressure on both parties to find a permanent solution to DACA kids, and now a bunch of GOP politicians look like total douche nozzles for being visibly upset over Trump's willingness to put bs aside and do the right thing.

I'm more confused by this guy than ever. He may go down as the most infamous, yet influential president in US history.

I don't know if he's a Mountain or Hound but he's definitely a Clegane.

yes.

Also your word usage is big league fantastic.

yuge use of the english language.

just yuge and I love it. I love it so much its going to be great. You're going to love it too. Its that good. At some point you're going to be like I love this too much.. But its not going to stop..

You're going to be like its too good mr president, but we wont stop there.. No means no if you're not winning.. We're winning.. Its time to win again America.

lol...

as long as he's exposing the other liars I'm a happy camper.

Definitely without a doubt there is much more focus on government. Govern the governors.
edit on 7-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join