It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say hello to the 3-D Obama ant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Say hello to the 3-D Obama ant

Biologists at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) have named three new, rare ant species in Africa after important figures in African biodiversity conservation -- a former United States president, a writer-activist, and a world-renowned scientist. Using new scanning technology for documenting species, the OIST researchers compiled scans of the ants to create 3D avatars, giving them, and their namesakes, a measure of immortality.

The first ant species, Zasphinctus obamai, was discovered in the Kakamega Forest National Park, Kenya, located near Mr. Barack Obama's ancestral family village. The OIST researchers chose to honor Mr. Obama for his prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation.

OK, I am not aware of any "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation" by former president Obama. Can anyone chime in on how that topic relates to the former president?

Is it related to his reception of the Nobel Peace Prize?

Is it related to his repeated drone strikes on innocent humans (effectively preserving the land for non-human life to thrive)? LOL

Seriously though, I wonder what he did to warrant such an honor as being named after an ant.

edit on 9/2/2017 by Krakatoa because: added picture

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well what's fair is fair right?

Last January ............ they .. named .. a

New species of moth named in honor of Donald Trump ahead of his swearing-in as president

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess it is fair.

replaced by

which is a damned sight better than

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Seriously though, I wonder what he did to warrant such an honor as being named after an ant.

Obama hasn't been president in nine months
+
Entomologists naming random ant after Obama
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Holy hell, guys... get over it.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Triggered much? My question still stands, regardless of the timeframes involved. My 2nd post was merely a sarcastic play on the political choices we've had forced down our throats for the last 10 years or so.

So, do YOU have any explanation why he is being recognized for his "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation"?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I looked zasphinctus. Most of the species apparently have no eyes. Now I know something more.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Are you saying "Get over it" to the folks asking why there is an ant named after Obama? Or to the scientists who named the ant?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
sphinctus obamai........good name.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Are you saying "Get over it" to the folks asking why there is an ant named after Obama? Or to the scientists who named the ant?

To the folks who are still triggered when somebody paints Obama as anything more than a commie Muslim from Kenya.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Triggered much? My question still stands, regardless of the timeframes involved. My 2nd post was merely a sarcastic play on the political choices we've had forced down our throats for the last 10 years or so.

So, do YOU have any explanation why he is being recognized for his "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation"?

Triggered? The irony. I was pointing out the triggering.

As far as his contributions? He was always a proponent to the environment and even put up a national monument for marine biodiversity. What, should it go to Trump for pulling out of the accords or something?

So yeah, I'll stand by my original statement of "get over it". He did some decent things and he's no longer president. Some bug nerd who appreciates a past president shouldn't warrant an entire skeptical thread about it.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

To the folks who are still triggered when somebody paints Obama as anything more than a commie Muslim from Kenya.

Really? Please, show me where I mentioned any of those bigoted topics in my postings? I referred to his ACTIONS, and not any of his personal traits, didn't I. If you cannot accept that people may not like him because of his actions (or in many cases in-actions) and have to resort to accusations of that type, what does that say about you and your thought process?

So, putting up a status is now considered, "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation"?
Sounds like the same type of requirements he had for that Nobel Peace prize doesn't it?

edit on 9/2/2017 by Krakatoa because: Modified my thoughts

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
A commie Muslim Christian homosexual American Hawaiian from Kenya married to a transgender man !

That's pretty diverse, though !

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Really? Please, show me where I mentioned any of those bigoted topics in my postings? I referred to his ACTIONS, and not any of his personal traits, didn't I. If you cannot accept that people may not like him because of his actions (or in many cases in-actions) and have to resort to accusations of that type, what does that say about you and your thought process?

Yet again, you have nothing to add to the conversation, and fail to answer the open questions.

Why does it bother you that an ant got named after him? Bugs are named after all kinds of things. Obama was a president. Hated or loved, he's a reasonable candidate for a bug-naming.

And see my other post if you want to see the relevance to the statement as to his contributions. I don't think he was amazing in that department but it's not like he went around saying he hated ants, either.

Although... he did squish that fly on camera.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
A commie Muslim Christian homosexual American Hawaiian from Kenya married to a transgender man !

That's pretty diverse, though !

She's a trans woman, not trans man. Don't # up your own fake conspiracies. Jesus.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

Yet again, you have nothing to add to the conversation, and fail to answer the open questions.

Why does it bother you that an ant got named after him? Bugs are named after all kinds of things. Obama was a president. Hated or loved, he's a reasonable candidate for a bug-naming.

And see my other post if you want to see the relevance to the statement as to his contributions. I don't think he was amazing in that department but it's not like he went around saying he hated ants, either.

I updated my post after submitting it because I saw your response late. I still wonder why erecting a statue warrants this honor. Had they claimed it was due to his ability to achieve one of the highest offices in the world, even given his ancestral links to that exact area in Africa, I wouldn't question it, because that makes sense.

But, for "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation"? Prodigious? Really? I'll bet a LOT of scientists and environmental activists that have spent their entire lives making "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation" would have been far more deserving such an honor.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

+
=
OH MY GOD WTF

I updated my post after submitting it because I saw your response late. I still wonder why erecting a statue warrants this honor. Had they claimed it was due to his ability to achieve one of the highest offices in the world, even given his ancestral links to that exact area in Africa, I wouldn't question it, because that makes sense.

But, for "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation"? Prodigious? Really? I'll bet a LOT of scientists and environmental activists that have spent their entire lives making "prodigious contributions to global biodiversity conservation" would have been far more deserving such an honor.

Star for me not seeing your update. Thank you.

I do get what you're saying now. It's more the reason and not so much the merit. Is that about right?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Obama named over 15 National Wildlife Refuges during his presidency.
www.bbc.com...
edit on 2-9-2017 by Regnor because: edit to change quote to a link

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Yes. Because I was unaware of anything he did to merit that claim.
However, another ATS member did post an answer prior to this response.

originally posted by: Regnor
a reply to: Krakatoa

Obama named over 15 National Wildlife Refuges during his presidency. Obama has protected more natural habitat than any president in American history, exceeding the 290 million acres by President Theodore Roosevelt. Obama also added 22 new parks to the US National Park system. That's probably why.

I would ask for sources of the claims first of course. Anyone can make anonymous unsubstantiated claims. If true, then perhaps it was warranted, and my questions on that could be answered.

No personal attacks, no bigoted derogatory remarks needed.

edit on 9/2/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

No personal attacks, no bigoted derogatory remarks needed.

Agreed. I apologize.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa Here's a couple
blog.nwf.org...

www.bbc.com...

edit on 2-9-2017 by Regnor because: added another link

edit on 2-9-2017 by Regnor because: added another link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join