It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing isn't MMA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Boxing vs mma is like pro basketball vs and1 street ballers. Same basic game but vastly different. One is far more rigid in rules and the technical aspect whereas rhe other has more fluidity, showboating, etc.

This is why and1 ballers doing crazy deibbles and dunks are never pro basketball players even though they look amazing on the court. Theyd lose agaisnt a real pro basketball team within the boindarirs of the game.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Akragon

A sad.. disappointing last battle...

I didn't watch the show but agreed , the whole event was a sad display of greed over ethics.
Glad Mayweather won , glad it's over and hope it won't happen again , the only winners were the money men.

Money Mayweather said that was his last fight on during the winners circle interview. He came in to prove his is a boxer and with 50 - 0 that record will be hard to beat. He is legend both in ring and in the bank. I could see him leaving the ring.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

BWAHAHAHA

OMG!! that's funny.....

Eastern martial arts don't work... that's why they are not in mma.. that is why there are no full contact compitions...

MOST martial arts are fake and the moves would never work in a real wolf scenario... this was supposed to say world, but I doubt it works against a wolf either lol..

Akido (think Steven sagal) and hopkido are the worst offenders.

The rest are maybe 50/50...

50% bs that looks pretty but would never work..

50% real techniques that INDIVIDUALLY ARE FOR EXAMPLE: the correct way to throw a punch.. but basically most of the combos are garbage..

A black belt can beat up a drunk bar goer who isn't trained or a good fighter...

But basically every time a Olympic (type ) wrestler , kickboxer or jujitsu guy fights a black belt..

The black belt loses...

edit on 27-8-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I think he's definitely retired for good. I didn't think he'd come back again after the last one, but this match was just too good to pass up I suppose. I do sort of have a problem with it counting as an official match and bringing his record to 50 - 0. I think he should have remained 49 - 0. I mean... it's just.... I don't know. McGregor isn't even a boxer, it's his first boxing match and he's going up against one of the best ever. You usually have to work your way up to fight the champ, you know?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Having trained in wrestling, boxing, muay tai, jits, your opinion is really bad.

Mayweather fought like a douche. He almost got knocked out in the first few rounds. Did you see how pissed he was?

Pouting like a baby in the corner.

He was scared, or he wouldn't have rope a doped the whole fight.

That ref was biased as hell.

If mma rules were used, it would have been a 2 minute fight.

Boxing is non-technical garbage and is outdated in todays fights, unless you are fighting an untrained fighter.

An no, to whoever said all the oriental arts are too dangerous. Stay away fron the tai chi, karate, other crap.

Muay tai and jits are required to compete, or you will not go far. Judo helps, but along w jits prior.

I would love to see a mma fight with these guys, but Mayweather wouldn't do it, he couldn't hug him and put his back into him the whole time.

That was an epic fight for the history books

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a lot of people said conor wouldnt even be able to hit floyd and he hit him 111 times with significant shots according to the cards.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Ill admit, I called it wrong too. I thought it would be over in the first round. That was an impressive show for McGregor.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

No doubt McGregor held his own, and exceeded expectations, I was impressed. But there was no way he was going to beat arguably the greatest boxer of all time.

And likewise, Mayweather wouldn't last in the octagon either. 2 totally different sports.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Ill admit, I called it wrong too. I thought it would be over in the first round. That was an impressive show for McGregor.

and i will admit that whle conor did hit him 111 times there was not a great deal of damage and floyd was most definitely letting a good deal of it happen or at least not too worried about stopping it.

i think floyd only threw 12 punches in the first 2 rounds. that was most definitely his choice.

for me this just showed that boxing is a half of a sport. no matter how you slice it the mma guy did last 10 rounds.
i hope people can see that a limited rule set contest is the only contest in which floyd or any high level boxer can beat a high level mma fighter.

i know people still enjoy boxing but for me it is a sport of the past. i liked this fight because of who was fighting. i watched all the prelims on fs1 and all the prelims on the ppv and i was not impressed with any of them.
after seeing a fight that covers all aspects it is hard to appreciate boxing.

i stick by what i have been saying about floyd coming over to mma. i have no interest in seeing floyd fight conor in mma rules. it would not be a fight so what is the point.

even though it can not happen unless they go to japan or some # i would like to see an mma rules fight with floyd against claudia gadelha or joanna jedrzejczyk.

that way we could prove that mma is superior. what will the world say when the best boxer ever fights a 120lb female and gets ruined? it would be glorious

throw lomachenko in with mighty mouse or something.
give a solid boxer a female or someone of a much lower weight to show that mma represents

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Mcgregor didn't conserve his energy. Mayweather may be 40 yo, but he also has the boxing experience to go along with that age.

For Mcgregor's first boxing match, I will give him a 7 out of 10, considering he was fighting what many boxing fans regard as the best pound for pound ever.

But.....I think Floyd could have ended it a lot earlier if he wanted to. It was Mayweather Productions that put on this fight, so speculation that Floyd wanted to give the fans a longer fight would not be unheard of.

They over hyped this fight to sell tickets, but I still enjoyed it. They both left the ring with a lot more money than they entered it with.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I think the fight says more about how good McGregor is than how great Mayweather is... i agree. McGregor can last 10 rounds in his onky boxing match against arguably one of historys best boxers. I highly doubt Mayweather would last two rounds with MMA rules.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Apparently a few people here didn't actually see the fight.... or they were watching a PS4 version of it LOL

mayweather barely broke a sweat... and he wasn't even close to being knocked out

in fact he was laughing most of the fight... he took a stack of jabs that didn't hurt him...

maybe a couple good shots... not too much more...

he barely threw a punch in the first few rounds

still... connor did as expected... again, as i've said numerous times... hes not a boxer... and proved that last night

back to the octagon for him... Leave boxing for the pros

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

going 10 rounds with the best boxer of all time when 80% of your weapons are not allowed is not too shabby.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I liked when Mayweather was in the corner, he looked like he was going to cry, he wouldn't even let his guy fix his face, he was too busy getting his ego broken.

Don't touch me, I'm pouting.

He wouldn't last 1 round in the octagon, where you can't just hug your opponent to win.

Boxing is for pros?

More like grandpa

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I think it was previously stated while watching the match that the rules of boxing are always being tested in the ring. Connor isn't a boxer and isn't use to the rules. With that said, old habits die hard and people like the ref, Mayweather,Announcers, and Judges expect someone like Connor to slip up. When you're fighting, it's easy to loose your head or slip up.

As far as Connor getting behind Floyd, Floyd turned his back to him like 3 times to stop Connors push and momentum.

Connor landed more punches than Floyd's last fight. I think most punches ever landed on Floyd who is a defensive technical boxer, is 117. Connor hit him 111 times. Paqia or whatever his name is was 81 punches in 12 rounds. I think Connor did good considering the circumstances.

You can't punch the nuts in boxing but as long as it isn't directly intentional it gets over looked.

Look at Bruce Lee when he went to Wing Chun to Boxing to win Hong Kong. Same thing. Backwards strikes, knees... but it wasn't intentional it's muscle memory.

However biting someone's ear off it not muscle memory.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I really just wanted to see a thug woman beater get destroyed by the underdog.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Iostsheep

i did not like the way floyd was ducking low and rolling his back to conor.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yeah, I thought that proved right there Mayweather didn't expect Connor to be able to stand toe to toe. But in fairness Connor got away with some unintentional cheap shots. I think fighting like he does, you can expect that. You can tell Connor knew he slipped up because he didn't press after.. but turning your back and ducking low was a last ditch effort to not get knocked out. That isn't muscle memory, it's being a chicken.

Connor is overall the better fighter hands down, but Mayweather is better boxer last night. I agree that it was all conditioning. Connor has rarely fought past 20 minutes much less 40. You could see he just wasn't conditioned to endure 12 rounds.

I saw Connor is a better fighter because if Floyd was to go into octagon he wouldn't last a round or two. I think Connor proved he could box better and longer than Floyd. Boxing wasn't his thing.. these boxers train their entire life and never delivered Floyd a fight like Connor did in a few months. Floyd would have turned his back and Connor would of used that to get him to the mattress.

A lot of dodges boxers use is great in the ring, but it'll get your head kicked off in MMA. With that said, Connor is better fighter, but Mayweather is better condition boxer (obviously).

I loved the fight- I think it's a torch passing too. Most of the hype came from the fact Connor is MMA. That's been something people have wondered for centuries... Could Abbot beat Tyson, could Bruce Lee beat Muhammad Ali.. Could Connor beat Mayweather? That's what dreams are made of and people have begged a MMA to get in boxing ring to show us if it can and can't be done. I think Connor proved it very much can, despite his loss, Connor proved he's a better boxer than more than half of the others out there today.

What a fight!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Personally I don't know enough about boxing rules to know if this was "out of bounds".
I wish they would bring back the no rules type of mma. No time limits, no gloves.
I want to see some real fights.

Head to any city in the North of England on a Saturday night around closing time....

RA

It's all fun and games till pint glasses start flying.

Tbh, it isn't that bad up here. I've experienced enough closing times to know that the aggressors usually get sent packing before closing time or never get in at all.

We used to double our bouncers an hour before closing time. Fun times.

On topic: I never watched the fight, I had to sleep. But it was obvious Mayweather would win, truthfully I didn't want to watch it... Sick of stupid money being associated with sports.

Upto 300 million? I'd step in the ring for 0.1% of that, even against Mayweather or Mcgregor.

Disgusting really.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Death wouldn't be worth .001% of that. Those guys would kill you. One good punch and it could take your life.

300 million can get you a #1 song played on the radio. It's cheap considering the hazzards in boxing. There's been people die in that very ring..

"A study of 70 boxers found elite-level fighters could punch with an average of 776 pounds of force. Another study of 23 boxers showed elite fighters were able to punch more than twice as hard as novices, the hardest hitter generating almost 1,300 pounds of force."

lol that's like getting hit in face by a sledgehammer. Every time a boxer gets in the ring there is a HIGH chance that they could wake up to sevier head trauma or a detached retina, concussion, a brain hemorrhage, loss of hearing or a broken nose. 50% of boxers will face a career ending blow. You're brain, or sight, hearing, and life is worth way more than a 1% of 300 million.

These guys risk a lot for money.. stop complaining that they make money when congress steals that much every week. You're just mad no one would spend $1 to watch Mayfield beat you like a woman.
edit on 27-8-2017 by Iostsheep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join