It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help the SETI Institute find extraterrestrial intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hi! I would like to show you how you can help the SETI Institute find extraterrestrial intelligence:

youtu.be...

Are you already participating?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: alfa015
Are you already participating?

I ran my share of data blocks looking for signal anomalies. I came to the conclusion that they were barking up the wrong tree.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Let's concentrate on finding intelligent life here first. Lol

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa015

Already participating but I believe RF is too low frequency to carry much data.

An advanced society would use far higher frequency transmissions and they'd be quantum encrypted and appear random to us.

Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
There were UFO reports where people said they saw black triangles sending out a beam of red/purple light up into the sky (purple might have been red + blue of the sky). Sending data by laser would be the least lossy in terms of signal direction. Most radio transmitters are omnidirectional, it's only with a suitable reflector that they can be shaped. But a laser would be perfect for long distance through the atmosphere and space.

If a civilisation had mastered gravity, maybe they would master sub-atomic particles like neutrinos as well. Then sending a beam of neutrinos would be even more secure, as they could be sent directly through a planet and not beamed up and down by satellite. Or maybe even gravity waves -get large mass like a metal sphere to oscillate and it would generate minute gravity waves that could be picked up by another detector.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The ATS SETI team participating in this project already has 513 members, 206 of whom have active credit conducting processing in this initiative. This has been around a long time already.

Please see Above Top Secret SETI Team

I might also suggest simply doing a search on this forum for SETI-related threads -of which there are many, specifically related to this Berkeley/Boinc/SETI project.

BTW: Yes, even if it leads to nothing or is not the proper technology to use whatsoever, etc., it is still a worthwhile effort, since the alternative so far is to do nothing but sit and wait - which has not produced very exciting results so far either...

Participating in this costs the user nothing, and is certainly better than doing nothing. If nothing else, it increases awareness -and generates a bit more interest in subject matter, perhaps motivating others to also seek the 'truth'.

Good luck - and keep looking up!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I also crunched many hours of data for SETI back in the early 2000s. Then I sent an anecdote about the Fomalhaut system (hence my username) and was made to feel as if I should be in a straightjacket. TBH - no reply would have been preferred to what I received. This was before exoplanets had been discovered in the system. This burnt me on SETI and I deleted all data crunching programs from my computer. Even now that I'm older and wiser, I have two ideas about SETI - either they are the most one-track minded research agency on the planet or they are a disinfo op. I'm honestly not sure which is true.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Sorry, I can't help out an institution whose senior astronomer and poster boy, aka Seth Szostak, is arrogant enough to dismiss the UFO topic based on the assumption that if aliens were already here he'd know about it. Yeah, really!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outrageo
The ATS SETI team participating in this project already has 513 members, 206 of whom have active credit conducting processing in this initiative. This has been around a long time already.

Please see Above Top Secret SETI Team

I might also suggest simply doing a search on this forum for SETI-related threads -of which there are many, specifically related to this Berkeley/Boinc/SETI project.

BTW: Yes, even if it leads to nothing or is not the proper technology to use whatsoever, etc., it is still a worthwhile effort, since the alternative so far is to do nothing but sit and wait - which has not produced very exciting results so far either...

Participating in this costs the user nothing, and is certainly better than doing nothing. If nothing else, it increases awareness -and generates a bit more interest in subject matter, perhaps motivating others to also seek the 'truth'.

Good luck - and keep looking up!

I'm there...and still active. Most aren't.

The Breakthrough Listen folks are going to have a huge, positive impact.

They already have....stay tuned...

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

interesting your point..

glad you are participating!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: fomalhaut
I also crunched many hours of data for SETI back in the early 2000s. Then I sent an anecdote about the Fomalhaut system (hence my username) and was made to feel as if I should be in a straightjacket. TBH - no reply would have been preferred to what I received. This was before exoplanets had been discovered in the system. This burnt me on SETI and I deleted all data crunching programs from my computer. Even now that I'm older and wiser, I have two ideas about SETI - either they are the most one-track minded research agency on the planet or they are a disinfo op. I'm honestly not sure which is true.

i'm sorry seti treated you like that
btw i was wrong in the video, cause seti@home doesn't have to do anything with the Seti institute, but with the university of california in berkeley.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jamespond

Sorry, I can't help out an institution whose senior astronomer and poster boy, aka Seth Szostak, is arrogant enough to dismiss the UFO topic based on the assumption that if aliens were already here he'd know about it. Yeah, really!

yeah, but seti@home doesn't have to do anything with the Seti institute, but with the university of california in berkeley
sorry i said it wrong in my video

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

i'm glad you are active!

yes, the breakthrough listen has released new data but they have already analyzed and just want the general public to help them in the creation of software, etc..

i hope they realease millions of data so the public can analyze it ,as it happened with seti live

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

If you ask me SETI has become a joke and it hasn't evolved.

SETI has been collecting something way more important than this since 1985. That's called Data.

SETI should have machine intelligence looking over all of the data it has collected over the years. A.I. looks at this data in multiple dimensions that we can't see. It does things like detect Alzheimer's years before Doctors can.

Artificial intelligence can predict Alzheimer’s disease two years before doctors can, study shows

A computer-driven algorithm was able to accurately foresee whether or not a person would develop Alzheimer’s disease up to two years before he or she displays symptoms, according to a new study from McGill University.

It was correct in its predictions 84% of the time. Researchers are excited for the AI’s potential to help choose patients for clinical trials and drugs ahead of the disease’s onset that could delay its debilitating effects.

www.nydailynews.com...

This was done with very little data.

The researchers were able to train the artificial intelligence program to recognize Alzheimer's disease in the brain by showing it before and after scans of 200 people who had the disease. The AI technology was then shown scans of 270 volunteers – 43 of whom eventually developed Alzheimer's. The AI technology was able to accurately predict 84 percent of the cases in which the volunteers eventually developed the disease.

So back to SETI, it has amassed an enormous amount of data that A.I. could look at. Who know, a civilization more advanced than ours could be masking any signals in random data that we just can't detect but A.I. can.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
So back to SETI, it has amassed an enormous amount of data that A.I. could look at. Who know, a civilization more advanced than ours could be masking any signals in random data that we just can't detect but A.I. can.

Interesting thought. They have decades of data by now, a lot of which was crunched with old computers running relatively unsophisticated pattern detection programs with 486 processors.

Might be interesting to jam that old data through some of our more sophisticated systems with much better pattern recognizing programs with a little AI sprinkled in to see if it can spot patterns that might pop up over the course of 30 years or so.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
When they acknowledge strange phenomena is interacting locally with this planet, I'll start to take their research more seriously.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thanks for reminding me about this. When the project first started I had this running for a number of years but as computers upgrade I didn't always remember to install it on later computers. I haven't had it installed for at least 3 laptops now. On and off it would stop working for some reason or was unable to access servers which became irritating. It's a pretty joyless exercise where I would appreciate greater feedback on the project & how it goes. But, no harm in downloading it.
edit on 5-9-2017 by Loopdaloop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
There were UFO reports where people said they saw black triangles sending out a beam of red/purple light up into the sky (purple might have been red + blue of the sky).

A pinkish / purple beam out of the sky has been reported many times, including some hitting people like sci-fi author Philip K. Dick and good ol' Saul of Tarsus. These generally aren't seen as coming from triangle UFOs, but rather from the sky, and imparting their targets with "enlightenment."

Purple (ultraviolet) is a pretty high-frequency light, and might be a good way to pack some information into a transmission -- even if it's psychic wave beams or whatever crazy energy consciousness is made out of.

top topics

join