It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It seems like a little refresher of what "Freedom of Speech" means is needed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

What does it say about hitting someone with a car because you don't like their opinion or think they don't deserve to live because they are overweight and never had children?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

And don't try to hide behind "freedom of speech" when the consequences catch up with you.

I don't think anyone is hiding.

Though I do see too many wanting to silence actual speech.

edit on 14-8-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

And don't try to hide behind "freedom of speech" when the consequences catch up with you.

I don't think anyone is hiding.

Though I do see too many wanting to silence actual speech.

Who is silencing speech?

You have the right to voice your opinion...I have the right to voice my opinion against your opinion.

The idea that "counter-protests" are silencing people is pretty stupid.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Great post! I think this is what get's lost in the endless platitudes everyone spews out supporting the bigotry and prejudice and desire to be intolerant of other people. I can't tell you how many times I heard the argument, "you are the ones who are bla, bla, bla for not letting us be bla, bla, bla."

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

In order to have a public protest, in most communities, one has to obtain a permit. If the anti-protest-protesters didn't pull a permit, they were in violation of the law. Also, your right to free speech does not allow you to bring weapons and use those weapons against people who disagree with you.

The moron who smashed his car into a crowd was wrong. The anti-fa folks who brought bats, projectiles and pepper spray to a protest are also wrong, though obviously on a lower level.

I disagree with white supremacists. However, it is my belief that if they are given the right to speak then their illogical and inaccurate statements can be counterpointed. By attacking anyone who has extreme beliefs there will be people who will be sympathetic to them despite the wrongness of their beliefs. Those who support such beliefs will not be educated as to their falseness by bats and frozen water bottles. It will only tend to further radicalize them.

If your position on a given subject is so tenuous that you can not allow alternative voices to be heard, then maybe your point of view isn't so right either. Or maybe you just to immature to handle people who contradict you.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Intolerance is all fun and games until someone hits someone else with a car.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Not sure I follow what you are trying to say.

I don't really care about permits for protests...if you are trying to say it is the counter protesters fault because they didn't have a permit...then I disagree.

I tend to blame the groups who publicly say they are a hate group...like Unite The Right.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I don't really care about permits for protests...if you are trying to say it is the counter protesters fault because they didn't have a permit...then I disagree.

I tend to blame the groups who publicly say they are a hate group...like Unite The Right.

Ahem, you forgot to mention Black Lives Matter and Antifa to the list.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

When people bring masks and make shift weapons (both sides) it is no longer about speech...I think its pretty clear the intentions of those in possession of those things. It started as a protest about not removing monuments but was hijacked and turned into a battle royal anyone with half a brain could see coming! Like I said before anyone in possession of such things should have been arrested and held 48hrs with no charge and released...that way today we would have something else to talk about.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

Ok, go find me the official messaging from BLM and ANTIFA that specifically says they are about hate against another group.

You do realize you are just defending Neo-Nazi's and White Supremacist in an indirect way by making statements like that...right?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Ok, go find me the official messaging from BLM and ANTIFA that specifically says they are about hate against another group.

You do realize you are just defending Neo-Nazi's and White Supremacist in an indirect way by making statements like that...right?

Couldn't careless if you or anyone thought so. Nazi - KKK - BLM - ANTIFA = all hate groups. PERIOD. Black Lives Matter hate white people / police /( #stomptheflag)- remember that? Lets not forget when they attacked a well know confederate history group holding a rally on Stone mountain. Yeah so peaceful. Antifa are an anarchist group - pretty much anti-government and anything resembling authority and anti-patriotic.
edit on 14-8-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Couldn't careless if you or anyone thought so. Nazi - KKK - BLM - ANTIFA = all hate groups. PERIOD. Black Lives Matter hate white people / police /( #stomptheflag)- remember that? Lets not forget when they attacked a well know confederate history group holding a rally on Stone mountain. Yeah so peaceful. Antifa are an anarchist group - pretty much anti-government and anything resembling authority and anti-patriotic.

So....where is the public statement from BLM claiming they hate white people and that is the reason for their group???

And ANTIFA is Anti-Fascist...not anarchist.

But you go ahead and listen to your alt-right talking points instead of listening to what the actual groups say they stand for.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

No it wasn't. The people on the left dragging people who disagree with the from their cars and beating them, torching businesses, kidnapping people, and assaulting people on the street for no other reason than that they PRESUMED someone voted differently than them. I'm not making excuses for radicals. Maybe you'd rather that radical right just do those things instead. We wouldn't want any fascists around though, so they better just stick to voicing their opinions while being punched in the face by progressives.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

So....where is the public statement from BLM claiming they hate white people and that is the reason for their group???

But you go ahead and listen to your alt-right talking points instead of listening to what the actual groups say they stand for.

I already posted a rap sheet of it in a different thread. BTW do your own research. I don't give handouts to lazy people. I don't expect you to believe anything I say. I post it for what it is. Like it or not I don't shy away from the truth. It seems like all you know how to do is label people anyway. Good luck with that strategy, you won't go very far with it.

I voted for Trump so I'm alt-right. Go figure.
edit on 14-8-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I already posted a rap sheet of it in a different thread. BTW do your own research. I don't give handouts to lazy people. I don't expect you to believe anything I say. I post it for what it is. Like it or not I don't shy away from the truth. It seems like all you know how to do is label people anway. Good luck with that strategy, you won't go very far with it.

You made the claim that BLM/ANTIFA were hate groups...so logically that would suggest you need to provide the proof of that.

I'm not going to "go do my own research" on something that I already know is false. This is why I was asking you to provide the proof...because I knew you couldn't.

And surprise surprise...you can't, and to deflect you try to tell me to go find it myself. It's so predictable it's almost funny...but it's too sad to be funny.

The question isn't if you voted for Trump....the question is do you still support him?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

If I spat in your face and told you it was for my equality would you believe me?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I already posted a rap sheet of it in a different thread. BTW do your own research. I don't give handouts to lazy people. I don't expect you to believe anything I say. I post it for what it is. Like it or not I don't shy away from the truth. It seems like all you know how to do is label people anway. Good luck with that strategy, you won't go very far with it.

You made the claim that BLM/ANTIFA were hate groups...so logically that would suggest you need to provide the proof of that.

I'm not going to "go do my own research" on something that I already know is false. This is why I was asking you to provide the proof...because I knew you couldn't.

And surprise surprise...you can't, and to deflect you try to tell me to go find it myself. It's so predictable it's almost funny...but it's too sad to be funny.

The question isn't if you voted for Trump....the question is do you still support him?

Your problem, not mine, if you are too lazy to look. It's solely on you, not me. Duh, if I voted for him. I will always support him. No president is perfect but he is not Hillary. So there is that.

You can call it what you want. I don't owe you anything lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

If I spat in your face and told you it was for my equality would you believe me?

So you are taking actions of individuals to define the entire group???

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Skywatcher2011

BLM is a movement to raise awareness about police brutality against young black people. That is their official message. Some protests turned violent, which is wrong...and yes, Obama did condemn the protests that turned violent.

KKK/Neo-Nazis/White Supremacist is a movement of hate.

just repeating this for the people in the back...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Your problem, not mine, if you are too lazy to look. It's solely on you, not me. Duh, if I voted for him. I will always support him. No president is perfect but he is not Hillary. So there is that.

You can call it what you want. I don't owe you anything lol.

Ok, so let me get this straight.

1. You make a claim
2. Someone asks you for proof
3. You tell them that THEY need to find the proof themselves

That's just a great way to indulge your own ignorance and a creative way to never have to have evidence for your own beliefs.

And just wow on your undying loyalty for Trump because you voted for him. So in your mind, there is nothing Trump can do to lose your support???

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join