It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berkeley Hot Dog Stand Fires Cook Seen At Charlottesville Protest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

No. I've never been an employer, but what I'm referring to is that travel time to get across the country would take several days. You can't just wake up one morning, call in sick and hop on a plane across the country.

How long was this protest over the statute planned for in advance? The logistics are doable, I've flow many times to California in back in one day but a last minute transcon ticket, even in economy, is going to cost you a good amount of money.

edit on 14-8-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: rickymouse
Now, was the guy fired because he called in sick or because he was at the event?

If he works in CA and the riot was in VA there is no way he just merely "called in sick" for this. He clearly had to ask off to even get there.

I thought you used to be an employer. I had people call in sick or just take a day off to go to events many times. I learned that if I told them they had to come in they were worthless, all hung over and half buzzed up.

No. I've never been an employer, but what I'm referring to is that travel time to get across the country would take several days. You can't just wake up one morning, call in sick and hop on a plane across the country. Most employers I've worked for start requiring doctor's notes when you exceed one sick day in a row.

I had one worker take the whole week of Pioneer week off to party. If he wasn't such a good worker, I would have canned him.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

We believe in individual freedom and voluntary association for everyone

Apparently not.

I find it strange that a hot dog cook could afford to travel from CA to VA for a rally. Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.

By the way there's a "Free Speech" Rally scheduled for Boston Common this Saturday. It's being dubbed an "Alt-Right" rally though one of the speakers denies that it has anything to do with white supremacists. Many organizations and politicians, including the Mayor of Boston, are panning it before it takes place. If it actually kicks off, I think I'll swing by and see what all the hubbub is about.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't know, but do you think a guy working at a Hot Dog stand clearly under "at will" employment has the means to pull something like that off? Sounds like something a high ranking businessman could do easily. Not a wage employee though.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
I find it strange that a hot dog cook could afford to travel from CA to VA for a rally. Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.

Airfare, if bought far enough in advance, is relatively inexpensive, you can book a roundtrip transcon flight for under $400.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

See above. It all depends on how far out he booked.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Careful if you do, you might get outted by the Twitter-verse!! ...and we know it's never, ever wrong about this sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ok. So outside of special circumstances, what do you think the odds are that he called in sick versus took a vacation?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Krazysh0t

See above. It all depends on how far out he booked.

Maybe. I'd still bet he took a vacation though.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

400 dollars sounds about right...

That's a hell of a lot of money for what was a fast food worker to spend to travel cross country.

I don't know what rent is like in Berkeley...but that's gotta put a crimp in the ol' budget. This just doesn't ring true to me. Though I've been, God knows, wrong about these things before...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Without looking too far in advance you can book a round trip ticket from San Francisco to BWI for $200 on Spirit.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Maybe. I'd still bet he took a vacation though.

Most likely in my opinion since close-in booking would be cost prohibitive.

Here's an example for next month, one way EWR-SFO:

Fairly cheap, but same week/day will cost you 10 times that if not more.

edit on 14-8-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Well the rioters on the left in groups like Antifa and BLM and other Anti trump people better watch out too, or they may be outed and lose their jobs.

Oh wait, they are already unemployed.

Yeah, those Leftist they don't contribute anything to society.

Not like this fine upstanding hotdog cook.

But honestly...that's all you got...the talking point of "leftist are unemployed"?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Would you feel the same if it were BLM?

link   
a reply to: seagull

I wouldn't be going to support either side, just to watch the antics really. I don't fit neatly into any political pigeonhole and therefore don't really consider myself to have a dog in the fight. On some topics I'm very conservative and on others I'm very liberal. Just an old man who grew up during a period of relative political calm trying to get involved with protests that really didn't occur much during my formative years.

link   

originally posted by: seagull
That's a hell of a lot of money for what was a fast food worker to spend to travel cross country.

I don't know what rent is like in Berkeley...

Not cheap, so I doubt he was last minute booking this trip unless he had access to more resources than we are aware of.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: Grambler
Well the rioters on the left in groups like Antifa and BLM and other Anti trump people better watch out too, or they may be outed and lose their jobs.

Oh wait, they are already unemployed.

Yeah, those Leftist they don't contribute anything to society.

Not like this fine upstanding hotdog cook.

But honestly...that's all you got...the talking point of "leftist are unemployed"?

Yep just a joke.

Sorry you have no sense of humor.

On topic; sucks but I don't blame the employer at all, they got a business to run.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

That's pure capitalism for you. An employer can terminate an employee, or end his contract for any reason whatever. It's not covered under EEOC.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

joy so now we get a snowflake over reaction to someone exercising their constitutional rights.

Unless he committed a crime while there, or tried to say he was representing the company he worked for, he should not be fired.

Murdering a woman with your car is a "snowflake over reaction".

Firing a Nazi sympathizer is just smart business.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Jesus there is no hope for any of humanity. Bad meets even in life and online and everyone else suffers the consequences. We play stupid games, win stupid prizes, then wonder "what happened, how did I lose my life or liberty so fast?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join