It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were a kid in the 80's, you probably played with some of these.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
These were my fav's

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Tekaran

When I grew up I had a stick and a old tire I would push around the yard

Dang! and I thought we were poor growing up! My Mom used to always tell us five kids, "we don't have a lot of money but we are rich with love!"

What a great OP thank you! Almost everyone of those brought back memories. I remember my big metal Tonka dump truck, i used to sit in the back and push backwards with my feet hahaha, I was very disappointed when I realized I had grown too big for that haha.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran
a reply to: the2ofusr1

haha...

My dad told me when he was a kid, he would get together with some friends, take off their shoes, and run across a clover field. If you got stung by a bee you were out. Then they would go back across, then back, and so on, until only 1 person was left. That person was declared the winner.

I'm glad I never got that bored.

My farm country cousins used to play a game called "minefield". They would run across from one side of a cow field to another. Whoever got their foot stuck in a rabbit hole or cowpat was "out" of the game. Shame they never told me the rules before we ran across the field.

In the UK, I had "Matchbox Cars", same size as Stompers. Then Airfix models of aircraft and spaceships (Space Shuttle, Space 1999), lego sets, then technic lego. I loved the early lego sets with all the light bricks that required cables and batteries. Moved over to console games and then home computers. Went through the era of the Rubik's Cube and Rubik's Snake.

Nowadays, kids are making their own toys, their own Hollywood animations with Blender, modifications to video games, robots, 3D printing, Lego Mindstorms and lego sets:

medium.com...@lightmybricks/10246-detectives-office-led-lighting-kit-deluxe-e10646f0f39e

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

BOGLINS FOREVEEER!

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

Boglins and stuffed Alf were really kind of weird. They were encouraging a type of behavior and world view that is really not very healthy for children. I had forgotten all about those creepy little things, and the reasons I thought they would be cool toys.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: solve

BOGLINS FOREVEEER!

I had one of these. I used to terrorize our yorkie with that thing.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I am a baby boomer and I still have my Atari 7800 in my basement.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
Sounds like you had some very generous parents , and relatives OP . That's alot of toys to accumulate... where did you keep them all? Did you manage to save some to pass on to your children ?

I didn't have a lot of the stuff posted, except for Joes, so I didn't need a lot of space. But as fars as did I keep anything? None. I went through a destructive period after I had bought a BB Gun, and most of my Joes and He-man were used as target practice.
As far as my LJN Wrestlers, I rubbed their faces off on concrete because I thought it looked funny. I regret it so bad. Pretty much all I have left from my childhood years are my baseball, basketball, and football cards from 86-93. Which seem to be worth jack crap, due to the flooded market in those years. Somewhere I've got a box of a few Joes, but my moms swears she don't know where they are. I bet she is hiding them from me to keep them safe from BB Gun wounds.

πŸ˜‚... typical boy .. used them till they were worn ragged or totally dead ,even in toy world.
It's exactly what my son would have done .

Thanks for the chuckle 😏

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

My way of burning some character into toys.

G I joes
Stompers
Smurfs
HeMan

80s smart glass

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
I am a baby boomer and I still have my Atari 7800 in my basement.

I have all kinds of fun toys in my basement too, Mamabeth. So many fun toys.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Your idea of "fun" toys and my idea are polar opposites.I won't go
anywhere near your basement.I have to ask this...were you considered
for the part of Pennywise in the new IT movie?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yes to all the things!

I do miss old school GI Joe 2nd gen

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
Your idea of "fun" toys and my idea are polar opposites.I won't go
anywhere near your basement.I have to ask this...were you considered
for the part of Pennywise in the new IT movie?

Yeah, but only until I found out that I couldn't really eat any of the kids. Not for lack of trying though, I told them I was a method actor and it was critical to the role.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Oi vey!
Still making them. But mines from 1978πŸ˜™

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My inspiration..πŸ™„πŸ˜

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Yeah, I remember a lot of those. I especially remember Go-Bots, precursor to Transformers, and Masters of the Universe. Played Masters of the Universe a lot.

I also remember color forms. Spent hours on top of hours playing with them.Colorforms

You can't find color forms anymore. It has been 25+ years since I have seen any.
edit on 10-8-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I had cooler toys...

We couldn't afford waterproof matches.
Most of the time, my old man would just give me a cigar and tell me not to shoot anything that didn't need shot.
My 7th birthday present was a hatchet bought with S&H Green Stamps.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Your old man done raised you right.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: butcherguy

Your old man done raised you right.

So far, so good.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I don't remember what these things were called, but it stole many hours of my life. I had them in the larger like 1 foot ones, and also the little smaller like 6" ones.

"Rubik's Snake."

Ernie Rubik's "Difficult Second Album", following on from his famous cube of a few years earlier, but before his later period in which he came up with incomprehensible things (loved by hardcore fans but derided by purists) like the "Rubik's Rings" puzzle, in which the rules of solving the puzzle were about as complicated as the puzzle itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join