It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hempcrete

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

First off, what is Hempcrete? As the name suggests, hempcrete is a building material that incorporates hemp into its mixture. Versatile and hardy, it can be used for wall insulation, flooring, walls, roofing, and more, and is fireproof, waterproof, and rot-proof, provided it’s used aboveground. Derived from the shiv or inside stem of the hemp plant, it’s then mixed with a lime base binder to create the final, negative carbon footprint product. Hempcrete is much more versatile and pliable than concrete, making it an easier material to work with. In fact, earthquakes cannot crack these structures, as they are three times more resistant to damage than regular concrete.

Water and lime binder, simple and inexpensive. Able to better withstand earthquakes and cracking over time because it maintains a flexibility even though it is solid.

Hempcrete also requires less energy to produce, since lime doesn’t need to be heated to the same degree as industrial concrete. What’s more, because it contains cellulose, Hempcrete also sequesters carbon. Through its growing life cycle, it takes in large amounts of carbon, which are then built into the home or building being constructed. Carbon is thus stored rather than released into the atmosphere, and as a result, a home can save about 20,000lbs of carbon when being built out of Hempcrete.

Good, it's more in balance with things and helps absorb CO2.

Strong, lightweight, and breathable, Hempcrete is inarguably a superior building material. When used in exterior walls, it lets water in without accruing rot or other damage. What’s more, rather than needing to build homes with space between exterior walls, which must then be filled with insulation, you can simply use a Hempcrete wall. As humidity is taken in from the external environment, the Hempcrete holds that humidity until it is ready to be released again when air becomes dry once again.

Man, make the entire external structure and floor. Perhaps they should use this on roadways too. That should reduce cost and endure the elements and wear better.

While lime takes longer to harden than concrete, since it’s wrapped in cellulose, it url-2is incredibly strong. Over time, the lime essentially turns back to rock, so the material becomes harder and harder until it petrifies completely. This means the wall will last thousands of years compared to the 40–100 years of today’s standard building materials. Hempcrete is versatile in other ways, too. If too much is mixed in during building, you can simply return the mixture to the soil as a great fertilizer. And since hemp grows to maturity in just 14 weeks, it is a very powerful, cheap, and sustainable solution.

It actually gets better over time and "thousands of years?" What are we waiting for eh?

Hemp also requires no fertilizer, weed killer pesticide, or fungicide to grow, and can be used in nearly limitless capacities. The hemp seed can be harvested as a nutritious food rich in Omega-3 oil, amino acids, protein, and fiber, while the outer fibers can be used for clothing, paper, and many other everyday items. This truly is a remarkable plant, and its use in the mainstream should be a no-brainer.

You would think that if the government and corporations were truly concerned with climate change, and the massive effects they claim it is going to have on life, they would begin implementing this solution as quickly as possible and make hemp legal again in the U.S. But this doesn’t seem to be the case. Are they exaggerating about climate change and how much OUR carbon is affecting it? Or are they so concerned with their system that they fear changing things? Either way, something is up here.

Source

Indeed a no brainer. I see some entrepreneurial opportunistic here. Kentucky is already utilizing this stuff and if the Feds would just let our nation grow and process hemp as well as separate it from non-hemp cannabis restrictions we could get the ball rolling. Additionally, hemp could start being produced fo the other applications. I fear this will upset competing industries however and some corporate entities do not want to see this come to fruition. Hell seems there would be plenty of money for everyone though.
All I can say is hemp hemp hooray!!!!

Hemp: A New Crop with New Uses for North America*

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Great technology but it's not going anywhere as long as Trumps AG is in office. Sessions isn't MJ friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

Sessions on MJ....

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
the greatest plant in the world - so many uses.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensemilia. You can build a two-three story home out of it, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff." - Carl Spackler

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
there's another way using mushrooms, as pointed out with trump and his cabinet being anti everything don't hold your breathe (lol) on hemp being becoming viable.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

I found the Ford car made with hemp quite remarkable but here is a yt vid on this material

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Well, it all sound great. It actually sounds so great that my conspiracy mind starts to poke me and whispers:

"Where is the damn catch?",

"Where's the catch, Argent?"

"There must be a catch!"

edit on 3-8-2017 by Argentbenign because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

Well, it all sound great. It actually sounds so great that my conspiracy mind starts to poke me and whispers:

"Where is the damn catch?",

"Where's the catch, Argent?"

"There must be a catch!"

The catch... The big corporations will not make money from it..

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Here in SC, you may grow and harvest it. You have to have a permit, license and farm inspection. After all that, people that grow it say that it is very profitable if you can keep the deer and dumbasses out of it.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Seems like adobe would be just as good...but I agree that the "hempcrete" sounds pretty interesting.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Fibrous aggregate in a binder is an old idea -- but a great one. Straw and mud bricks built ancient homes and the Great Wall of China; fiberglass in concrete adds crack prevention; and than there's Pykrete (sawdust frozen in water-ice), which can be used to make a ship!

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensemilia. You can build a two-three story home out of it, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff." - Carl Spackler

"So I got that going for me....which is nice"

edit on 3/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Great technology but it's not going anywhere as long as Trumps AG is in office. Sessions isn't MJ friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

Sessions on MJ....

www.newsmax.com...

Hemp is NOT marijuana.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hesitant to post this since I'm having trouble producing an academic source, but look into Isochanvre. There are companies in France making this hempcrete commercially, but it is a VERY old recipe. The popular story that you can find online is that archeologists in southern France found a bridge from the Merovingian period (500-751 AD), likely Roman in construction, that was "petrified." On investigation, they determined that the bridge was made from this same lime and hemp process.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Tripnman

Did they mentioned in the article of the bridge what type of lime was used. Burned lime?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tripnman
Hesitant to post this since I'm having trouble producing an academic source, but look into Isochanvre. There are companies in France making this hempcrete commercially, but it is a VERY old recipe. The popular story that you can find online is that archeologists in southern France found a bridge from the Merovingian period (500-751 AD), likely Roman in construction, that was "petrified." On investigation, they determined that the bridge was made from this same lime and hemp process.

I found this regarding the reference. Interesting and thanks for the input

It is amazing the properties of hempcrete over time, this stuff should become the new(old) standard.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Well at least the senate recently , from both sides, unanimously voted against Session's proposals. It's rediculous the DEA will not separate hemp from marijuana for classification purposes. I hope common sense will ultimately prevail

a reply to: growler
Fascinating, I did not know. Thanks for the reply and input.

a reply to: Argentbenign
I hear ya man, the "catch" may be as Misterlondon pointed out, big co's won't make money from it, but I also believe co's could make money if they would just transform their practices. It's really just a matter of changing recipe. However the endurance of hempcrete means it wouldn't have to be repaired and/or replaced over time as fast as standard concrete and their is lost money there. It's a shame sustainability could be frowned upon when it comes to profits.

a reply to: Argentbenign

Seems like adobe would be just as good...but I agree that the "hempcrete" sounds pretty interesting.

I wasn't sure but I found this info pertaining to adobe(straw and clay) vs hempcrete

a reply to: the2ofusr1
I know about the car, and how cool is that? They also had electric cars before the combustible engines but, according to conspiracy theorist's, big oil cartel got to Ford and Edison causing them to abandon project.

edit on 5amf31070631 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Tripnman

I was reading a few days ago about Roman concrete and how even today its still in good shape ,unlike the stuff we make today that has a shelf life of about 100 years if you are lucky . As the story went a town was needing a sea wall and did the study into the cost, they found that concrete was not feasible due to its short life span . Someone asked why there are Roman concrete walls 2000 years old and still standing .

As it turned out it was the water that they used in the mix . The Romans used salt water .
edit on 4-8-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   

I ONCE OWNED A HEMP SHIRT, IT LASTED 10 YEARS.

(i put the above text in caps because i bloody meant it)

;0

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Just another prime example of the 50,000 uses of hemp and the products which can be derived from this one source.

The main problem is its appearance is the same as pot, so ignorant people equate the two and that hurts everyone.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
LOL,finally after all these years,they have found a use for those stems and seeds you don't need

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join