It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hempcrete

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

Hemp is NOT marijuana.

nope it's sure not, just a step above mexican drit weed. or as some people call it mexican brown.
edit on 4-8-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: waftist

I like the house design in the OP. That's my taste right there..

Let's see if this takes off, would be much more atmosphere friendly.

Thing is right now we could grow this for free but people will start charging for it eventually and add tax to it. It will be legal to grow for some but illegal for others, just like collecting tax is legal for some people but illegal for others to collect tax (such as protection rackets). Did you ever notice they are the same thing? If you don't pay your taxes, you go to prison, if you don't pay your protection fees, you get your place burned down. If you don't pay banks back their loans (which comes out of thin air) you get your house confiscated. If you don't pay protection money, you get your house burned. The same thing really when you look at it.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Add plastic bottles compressed in cubes/use used tires/rubber and then insulate them all with this
You now have a completely recycled home made of abundant recycled parts and could bring the cost down drastically to maybe some thousands of $$?

I love this, I have always found this incredible but then again, we aren't fully there yet. Heck lets all pitch in to make our own house building company! Just a thought, what better place than ATS to get a bad-ass team going

Or is it too farfetched?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Yea I have some shoes rockin' from 96 made of hemp, the fabric, laces and soles. My parents couldn't believe it, haha

a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
I hear ya and I think it is inevitable that hemp will become a mainstream product. It just makes more sense to (re)start an industry that can fill so many needs, including jobs and viable income for farmers.

a reply to: eldemie
I like the idea mate
I liked the notion of earthships from the 90's and those plastic bottles should be hemp based too at some point, or at least plant based. I hope the truth will continue to rear it's wonderful head with hemp innovation. Thanks for the reply.
edit on 5amf31353831 by waftist because: addition

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: rnaa

Hemp is NOT marijuana.

nope it's sure not, just a step above mexican drit weed. or as some people call it mexican brown.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but just in case you are in need of enlightenment...

5 Differences Between Hemp and Marijuana

1. Genetics
...In fact, scientists believe the early separation of the cannabis gene pool led to two distinct types of cannabis plants. The two species (or subspecies) of cannabis are known as Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa.

2. THC Content
...While marijuana plants contain high levels of THC, hemp contains very little of the psychoactive chemical.
...Hemp and marijuana plants contain another important cannabinoid: CBD. Hemp plants produce more CBD than THC, while marijuana produces more THC than CBD. Interestingly, research has shown that CBD acts to reduce the psychoactive effects of THC, separating hemp further from marijuana.

3. Cultivation
Hemp and marijuana are grown for different uses, and therefore require different growing conditions.

“Medical cannabis has been selectively bred over generations, and its characteristics are optimized in its cultivation environment to produce female flowering plants that yield budding flowers at the flowering stage of their life cycle,” explains Sutton.

In contrast, Sutton describes hemp plants as “primarily male, without representing flowering buds at any stage in their life cycle.” Instead, centuries of selective breeding have resulted in “relatively low concentrations of THC, and tall, fast growing plants optimized for higher stalk harvests.”

4. Legal Status

5. Research

In the field, hemp is grown for its FIBER... it is planted close together and encouraged to grow tall, spindly, lightly leafed, and, in general, all male and thus no flowers. In contrast, Marijuana is grown relatively widely spaced and encouraged to branch and leaf profusely (thus many flowering bud points), and in general all female with many flowers.

For hemp, the desired product is the stalk; for marijuana the desired product is the flower (leaf is secondary).

In short, you can't even hide marijuana in a hemp plantation!
edit on 5/8/2017 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Concrete mixed with salt water is why the Roman and Greek buildings have stood so long.
I would be interested in seeing this hempcrete in action, though. Watch it made, go through proper testing, even get some extreme Mythbusters style testing where they build a safe house and drop a car on it or blow it up.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Immortalis
It has been used since 2008 by the Lakotas. My friend Alex White Plume has publicized its use quite widely. In case you missed it here is a link to their projects.

www.hemphasis.net...

If you'd like to go take a look, they will welcome you.

Why would you want to blow up or drop a car on a perfectly good home? Just WOW!

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Any youtube content of tolerance testing?

Why WOULDN'T you wanna blow stuff up and drop stuff on things?!

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Immortalis

"Action"

fire test:

helps shield EMF radiation

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Great link, much thanks...hemp hemp hooray!!
This idea is really getting traction and spreading throughout numerous countries....because it makes sense!

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Yes, it is finally getting some traction. I've been a hemp activist since 1981 when I saw Willie Nelson touring our state with Gatewood Galbraith in a Hempmobile. Gatewood was the first guy I'd ever heard tell the real reasons for hemp being outlawed except my father. I thought my Dad was a bit off the rails when he first laid out the conspiracy for me in the '70s when Nixon declared war on pot. Gatewood became my hero. There's not a day that passes that I don't miss him.
If you haven't seen it try to find a copy of Hempsters Plant the Seed. I'm told that Diana Oliver, the producer is working on another documentary about a car made from hemp that runs on bio-fuel. herb.co... It was through her that I met Alex and his family and became friends with them. They are all heroes in my eyes. He finally got some positive legal news last summer. rapidcityjournal.com... He won't let the bastards keep him down. He was targeted. Now, finally we see the tables begin to turn. States are finally beginning to stand up for their rights.

I have a hemp t-shirt that Willie gave me in the mid '80s. I wore it to every rally and festival I attended for years because it has the Declaration of Independence written on the back. Sadly, it got stained a few years ago so now I only wear it to garden but it still has no holes and all the seams are intact. My Dad had a raincoat made of hemp. The Tennessee Valley Authority handed them out to their employees in the field doing survey work for Kentucky Dam in the late '30s. He was still wearing it regularly when he died in '79. He took care of it and it took care of him. Hemp is an amazing plant.

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I remember Gatewood too. He came through Eugene back int he 90's I still have a pair of hemp jeans from the Barter Fair in Ashland and some shoes(laces, fabric and sole) from the 90's also, still going strong. We were all right all along about the wonders of both hemp and cannabis. So many parents(mine) were tangled up in the demonization of weed that they would never listen to fact. Oh well, I have restored faith in truth. The Emperor wears no clothes blew me away back in the day and I just couldn't understand why hemp was not being promoted. I later grew to understand the reasons as mentioned throughout the thread. Regardless of the past, hemp can and will save the world in a sense eh?

Good to hear your story and of your shirt, and in some cases stains just add character, imo.
Props to Willie too man..

peace
edit on 0pmf31013831 by waftist because: sp

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

there are some nice hempcrete dwellings here in Scotland , and I have also convinced my parents to use hempcrete to restore some of their out buildings

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

I ONCE OWNED A HEMP SHIRT, IT LASTED 10 YEARS.

(i put the above text in caps because i bloody meant it)

Only hemp I ever owned lasted two weeks at most and many times less. Congratulations. Must be some good stuff. Mind sharing some?

Deny

;0

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaCook

originally posted by: scubagravy

I ONCE OWNED A HEMP SHIRT, IT LASTED 10 YEARS.

(i put the above text in caps because i bloody meant it)

Only hemp I ever owned lasted two weeks at most and many times less. Congratulations. Must be some good stuff. Mind sharing some?

Deny

;0

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I have at least 5 'properly made' dress/casual/office hemp shirts that have lasted at least 10 years or more and are still almost as new looking as the day they were bought despite constant wear. I have several pairs of hemp shorts that have been used and abused for years.

On the other hand I have had many cheap Chinese made hemp T-shirts that didn't last a season. The stitching failed, the collar stretched, etc. The fabric was fine, the workmanship was lousy.

I have two pairs of hemp shoes (espadrille slipper kind of things) that have been used and abused for 8 or 10 years. Some of the decoration (probably not hemp) on the edge of the sole is coming apart but the hemp fabric upper is just fine. They are great comfortable shoes that I can wear without socks in summer or with socks in winter. Great shoes.

My shoulder 'man bag' is hemp. This is only a few months old, and I expect it to last for many years. It replaced a cheaply made one that failed only when the zipper failed and then the strain pulled the fabric out of the stitching.

There are other alternative fibers out there. Bamboo can make beautiful shirts for example. Not as long lasting as hemp but a nice one can be almost as soft as silk.

Stay away from bamboo socks though - they are often sold as hiking socks, but stay away I tells ya. If you get them wet (and who doesn't step in a stream now and a gain on a hike) they WILL NEVER DRY. Its OK I suppose if you have an electric clothes dryer that you can run for 5 hours overnight, but who takes one of those on a 3 day hike?

Not only but also, the 'original' copy of the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper and it is still in perfect condition.

edit on 8/8/2017 by rnaa because: small reorg of sentence order

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

"....it’s then mixed with a lime base binder to create the final, negative carbon footprint product"

While it is true that the lime will absorb CO2 over time, how do you think lime is made? It is made by heating limestone and driving off....wait for it.....CO2. How is that limestone heated? By burning carbonaceous fuel which makes more CO2. How is the hemp collected for processing? Farm machinery burning...fossil fuels. When a cradle to grave analysis is done, it is hardly a "negative carbon footprint" product.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine
A fair point to consider, thx.
Lime Facts
Still, by comparison the fact that the process reabsorbs some CO2 makes this a better choice than other building materials. Additionally, CO2 is locked up in the plant during growth, so more CO2 is taken from atmosphere there too. Plus the idea that hempcrete will last much longer than standard concrete also contributes to less CO2 overall by comparison it seems, by not having to rebuild structures after 50 to 100 years. I guess nothing is perfect, but hempcrete still seems like the best way to go.

edit on 2amf31351431 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

it is hardly a "negative carbon footprint" product.
Like all products there are pro's and con's . I think to do just a study based solely on the concrete side and leave out the other products the hemp plant can produce would make it incomplete . After all the hemp side to the concrete could be considered a by product from the waist . Jeans made from hemp has a much longer shelf life as does the concrete . We have become such a disposable stuff and things that its reached a critical point imo .

I want cars that are universal ...How or why do we need a gazillion alternators for cars when less then a 1/2 dozen would work fine . Same goes for body styles . A hemp plastic would never rust and if we extended the style life of the car a fender or door to fit your old car would be a breeze to find . It may just come down to rethinking and demanding a different approach and philosophy to our culture .

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here is a well known benefit as a side effect that replaces big $$ costs .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join