It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon dust collected by Neil Armstrong to be sold at auction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Moon dust collected by Neil Armstrong to be sold at auction

www.theguardian.com

Moon dust collected by Neil Armstrong during the first lunar landing is being sold at a New York auction.

The lunar dust plus some tiny rocks that Armstrong also collected are zipped up in a small bag and are worth an estimated $2 million to $4 million.

Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon. He died in 2012 in Ohio.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ProphetZoroaster

Will this dust and rock be for real?

Cool and profitable.

'Moon rock' given to Holland by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin is fake
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Sounds cool, would love to get my hands on the good stuff...

I wonder if it's another fraud?

Curators at Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum, where the rock has attracted tens of thousands of visitors each year, discovered that the "lunar rock", valued at £308,000, was in fact petrified wood.
Xandra van Gelder, who oversaw the investigation, said the museum would continue to keep the stone as a curiosity.
"It's a good story, with some questions that are still unanswered," she said. "We can laugh about it."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

EDIT:

Seasonal beat me by seconds....

edit on 13-7-2017 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I know NASA/US strict laws/rules prohibit the sale of Apollo/space stuff to the public. When the Space Shuttle program had been terminated. The remaining spare HRSIs (High-temperature reusable surface insulation tiles) Such parts can be loaned to schools/universities and similar institutes for educational purposes, but sales of such stuff are not possible.

As I was wondered about the auction item, that is subject to prohibitions as well, a Google research on it and there is a story behind it as the item found its way into private ownership by a NASA mistake followed by a lawsuit, won by the private owner.

www.history.com

About two years ago, the Chicago-area attorney Nancy Lee Carlson was perusing an online auction site when she saw a listing for a bag containing “lunar dust” as part of an auction on behalf of the U.S. Marshals Service. No one had bid on the item in three previous auctions, and Carlson easily won the lot (which also included several other items) with a bid of $995.

edit on 13/7/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I remember watching a documentary a while back when I had actual cable TV about a woman who owned some moon rocks that she was given to by someone, and it was real.
The government caught wind of it and confiscated it from her without question, she could not fight it in court or anything.

I am calling this as a sham, that material is literally one of the most precious and rarest substance on this planet, until we start flying back to the moon again, it's going to be in the hands of NASA or government only.
I am sure there are some genuine moon rocks and dust out there, but I can bet those people or families keep it close to their hearts, I know I would.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

NASA wants grandma's moonrock

www.politico.com...

Yup, I remember this too...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
2-4 million!
For lot less money you can travel to McMurdo's Dry Valleys and collect your own moondust, handpicked by yourself! Who will see the difference?

Serious though, uhum, wonder why they need the money? Maybe they want to go back and collect more dust?

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Look at it for 2 hours
then eat it on a pizza

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Look at it for 2 hours
then eat it on a pizza

I'd put on good ambient music and smoke it in a pipe. Who knows right?
A new term is born, moondust traffickers. I bet in less then 5 years we will have illegal moondust refineries on the moon.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Somewhere they store all the astronaut suits, including those from those that walked on the moon. I saw a documentary once on it, they went to that storeroom and looked closely at them, describing all the work and technology that went into them.

The thing that struck me was all the grey dust stuck to the suits, especially on the lower legs and arms.

I was like hey, can I get some of that, just a tiny bit?
edit on 13-7-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

Hah, I didn't know it was fake. They made such a big deal of presenting it too. A tiny, almost invisible chip embedded in plastic, some moon 'rock'.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

www.telegraph.co.uk...

~sigh~

Yet again: No moon rock was every given by anyone on the Apollo 11 goodwill tour to anyone. No rock at all was given by anyone on that tour. No-one ever claimed that the fossilised wood was from the moon, other than the artists that created the exhibit that it featured in.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This, by the way, is the auction's online catalogue:

www.sothebys.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Look at it for 2 hours
then eat it on a pizza

And choke. Might as well chew ground glass...

Science Daily
edit on 13-7-2017 by intrptr because: link

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
This, by the way, is the auction's online catalogue:

www.sothebys.com...

Interesting catalogue, didn't actually see any return samples, but found this interesting...

link to image of on board computer processor...

Estimated value is cheap comparatively speaking. I bet the computer moguls want a piece of that...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They are also selling a whole Russian rocket engine. Pretty cool stuff.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

They are also selling a whole Russian rocket engine. Pretty cool stuff.

Love to be a picker in Neil's garage before they emptied it. The good stuff is probably already gone.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Ridiculous amount of cash to waste on some dust & rocks! Surprises me though what some people do with their cash.

What's that saying about those with money? Something about them being stupid.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You're confusing the two stories. Both the "tiny chips" (AKA the actual gift rocks from the USA) are in a different museum and have been there for decades. The one from the telegraph article (the article that even admits midway through the article that the headline is a complete, clickbait lie) is the "fake" one. Unfortunately for the hoax believers, NASA has never claimed that random rock in a dead politicians desk had anything to do with the moon. The hoax pushers love to lie so they love to repeat this long exposed lie from a very well known tabloid that doesn't believe in anything resembling journalistic integrity.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Interesting how the headline is "'Moon rock' given to Holland by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin is fake" And the article itself states "J. William Middendorf, the former American ambassador to the Netherlands, made the presentation to Mr Drees "

Do you have any sources that don't blatantly lie in the headline and then admit to lying in the article?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join