It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sixth mass extinction: The era of 'biological annihilation' - VIDEO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

...Looking at the extinction crisis not only in terms of species that are on the brink but also those whose populations and ranges are shrinking helps show that "Earth's sixth mass extinction is more severe" than previously thought, the authors write. They say a major extinction event is "ongoing."

"It's the most comprehensive study of this sort to date that I'm aware of," said Anthony Barnosky, executive director of the Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve at Stanford University, who was not involved in the study. Its value, Barnosky said, is that it makes visible a phenomenon typically unseen by scientists and the public: that even populations of relatively common species are crashing.
"We've got this stuff going on that we can't really see

Sixth mass extinction: The era of 'biological annihilation' - VIDEO

Heads up. Despite efforts by some here to dismiss the 6th Mass Extinction as a “conspiracy theory,” the destruction of life on our planet continues - to our own peril.

There have been 5 previous mass extinctions, all caused by natural disasters. But this one is due to human activities like “deforestation, overpopulation, pollution, poaching and extreme weather events tied to man-caused global warming.”

And yes, the animal extinctions and devastations will affect humanity, and our own ability to survive as a species on this planet.

Newsflash: Everything is connected.

…"the resulting biological annihilation obviously will have serious ecological, economic and social consequences. Humanity will eventually pay a very high price for the decimation of the only assemblage of life that we know of in the universe.”

"All signs point to ever more powerful assaults on biodiversity in the next two decades, painting a dismal picture of the future of life, including human life," the researchers said.

ATS, 2004:

2004. Humans Included in the 6th Mass Extinction?

ATS: 2014

Biologist warn of early stages of Earth's sixth mass extinction event

The Latest Study, 2017:

Biological annihilation via the ongoing sixth mass extinction signaled by vertebrate population losses and declines

More:

Earth faces "biological annihilation" in sixth mass extinction, scientists warn

'Biological annihilation:' Earth faces sixth mass extinction

ALSO SEE:

The Uninhabitable Earth

edit on 11-7-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Everything good must come to an end, right?

*sighs*

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
What I read is they seem to say because there's less of something it's going extinct. Seems a bit of a strange way to look at it.
Used to be 10 billion buffalo now there's only 5 billion so they're going extinct?? We are only lowering the numbers not killing them all off. But they gotta get paid too.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

To call what is happening now an "Extinction event" does not quite ring true to me. An extinction event is something rather more like a comet strike, or the eruption of a mega-volcano, or some other similar rapidly effective, singular instant which caused megadeath to occur.

What we are in now, is a slow, looping cycle of grinding, suicidal avarice and ignorance, which is NOT the same thing. This here is avoidable, with the technological, scientific and mathematical capabilities we already possess. It is not a comet impact, it is not a geological detonation, it is not a magnetic pole shift or a solar flare so strong as to punch the magnetosphere clean off the planet and blast away its atmosphere.

This is not an event which links back to a singular event in geologic time, but a process of murder suicide, being inflicted upon the powerless people, animals and plants of the world, by the powerful few, and nothing more or less than that, and as such, is not rightly an event that has any proper similarity with any previous extinction events to date. It therefore, should not be counted amongst their number, but, assuming any of us survive, be remembered as a separate and entirely different order of events.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
What I read is they seem to say because there's less of something it's going extinct. Seems a bit of a strange way to look at it.
Used to be 10 billion buffalo now there's only 5 billion so they're going extinct?? We are only lowering the numbers not killing them all off. But they gotta get paid too.

Think systems theory. As the study's lead author, Gerardo Ceballos of the National Autonomous University of Mexico says:

..."It is a prelude to the disappearance of many more species and the decline of natural systems that make civilization possible."

...Even if it's far from extinction, a species in decline can cause "cascading effects on vegetation and habitat" in ecological networks that depend on balance between animals, plants and microorganisms, scientist Robin Naidoo of the World Wildlife Fund told CBS News.

At the conclusion of the study, the authors write that "the resulting biological annihilation obviously will have serious ecological, economic and social consequences. Humanity will eventually pay a very high price for the decimation of the only assemblage of life that we know of in the universe.”

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Not man made but if Yellowstone pops off; it could cause a global winter and seriously deplete the population.

Theres also a negative side.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Was everything also connected in the past when we had these other events ?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

To call what is happening now an "Extinction event" does not quite ring true to me. An extinction event is something rather more like a comet strike, or the eruption of a mega-volcano, or some other similar rapidly effective, singular instant which caused megadeath to occur.

What we are in now, is a slow, looping cycle of grinding, suicidal avarice and ignorance, which is NOT the same thing.

My first reaction was the same. But it really is a matter of perspective - an 'instant' in geological time is not the same as an "instant" in our short little lives. For example, most past 'extinction events' lasted 10's of thousands of years - like the Permian-to-Triassic extinction event:

...radiometric dating of the uranium and lead in the zircons show that the extinction event spanned 60,000 years, plus or minus 48,000 years.

But yes, I agree:

This here is avoidable, with the technological, scientific and mathematical capabilities we already possess. It is not a comet impact, it is not a geological detonation, it is not a magnetic pole shift or a solar flare so strong as to punch the magnetosphere clean off the planet and blast away its atmosphere.

This is not an event which links back to a singular event in geologic time, but a process of murder suicide, being inflicted upon the powerless people, animals and plants of the world, by the powerful few, and nothing more or less than that, and as such, is not rightly an event that has any proper similarity with any previous extinction events to date. It therefore, should not be counted amongst their number, but, assuming any of us survive, be remembered as a separate and entirely different order of events.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not man made ...

You're kidding right?

Deforestation, overpopulation, pollution and poaching are not man-made?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Was everything also connected in the past when we had these other events ?

Of course. That's why isolated geological and astro-events resulted in extinction events. ...2 different things btw [cause v/s effect]. ...In this case, the cause is human activity, not a natural disaster/event. But the effect is the same (extinction).

Important to clarify.

edit on 11-7-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"...we're a virus with shoes."

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: olaru12

Not man made ...

You're kidding right?

Deforestation, overpopulation, pollution and poaching are not man-made?

I'm pretty sure he was saying Yellowstone is not man made but could lead to said extinction.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

don't worry about it. the religion of evolution will fix it all.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Oops. Sorry. My bad. Thought you were using a 'preface' to dismiss the OP. But you were changing the topic completely.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Someone will always survive..
All the deep underground bunkers
and hollowed out mountains.
And preppers..

If the earth not explode into dust.. someone will survive somewhere.

If not. I guess we will be reborn on one of the many other earths in other space bubbles / dimensions

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

We actually need a Bottle neck for the race to survive. The way we are going now it's just a matter of time .

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212

don't worry about it. the religion of evolution will fix it all.

I'm a Buddhist. I don't worry. I accept reality. But it's not possible to 'accept' without knowing what it is that one is accepting.

btw - Evolution is not a religion, it refers to a branch of science. Also, evolution does not 'fix' anything - it's about adaptation, and responding to change. For example, male amphibians and fish are losing their sexual organs and fertility in response to chemical contamination (environmental change), which is also happening to humans in various ways and degrees.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

We actually need a Bottle neck for the race to survive. The way we are going now it's just a matter of time .

I wonder. Seriously doubt the species can exist in a biological vacuum.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I was thinking about evolution last night , The way I see it is we did not evolve the other humanoids just went extinct and it seemed a whole bunch of other life forms also went extinct -When we showed up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join