It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solving "The Grandfather Paradox" In Time Travel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Almost your whole family thought he was your Grandfather the whole time.
Only your Grandmother new that you'd never find the real man.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
this stuff sure is fun to think about.

first, go watch the best time travel movie ever...predestination

now about the paradox.

maybe it is a situation where the universe just wouldnt let it happen.

you now say you went back in time and grabbed your killing tool and was heading towards your grandfathers house.
on the way there was a major car accident. maybe this or that...
just some events or chain of events that would prevent you from killing your grandfather.

fun to think about cause it is something we cant possibly know for sure until we can invent time travel and until someone proves it.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

A very interesting notion that some of our world's greatest minds are still trying to figure out.

“The fun thing is that the outside viewer would see two version of you: One where time was moving forward in time (cracking and frying eggs) and the other moving backward in time (un-stirring the cream in their coffee).” But will such a machine ever exist? Tippet says no. “Our paper included a careful analysis of this geometry, and the problems it would have in being built,” he says. “Generally speaking, backward time travel usually causes singularities (places where there are holes in the universe) or instabilities which would cause them to collapse into a black hole if they get poked the wrong way.

So unfortunately, I don’t foresee this as being feasible." Marika Taylor, professor of theoretical physics at the University of Southampton, commented on the study. She tells Newsweek over email: “Mathematical models for time travel all use the idea of creating shortcuts in a spacetime. In the study the authors explore a version of this idea, bubbles in a spacetime. “However the main problems in all these models are that quantum effects [effects that cannot be explained by classical physics] often destroy the spacetime shortcuts and that exotic forms of matter are required to create the shortcuts.”

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Time and space ; neither which we can create nor destroy.

science fiction at it's finest.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If time travel were possible, someone would have went back and gave the caveman the wheel..... or taught him how to plow....and Moses would have chartered an airliner instead of walked and Jesus would have been a televangelist

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I have my own theory on how time travel is possible and some guest on Coast To Coast AM who studies time travel theory actually tried to dissuade anyone from thinking its possible. Tell people not to try something and maybe its because you don't WANT them to do it, not that they can't..... Anyway, if you believe in a soul, then you believe in immortality of your human consciousness to some degree. And if you believe time exists, then you believe that it is occurring simultaneously past present and future. I believe what tethers us to a given timeline is our physical and living presence in it. So imagine you can send your mind( via your soul which is not physical but energy or metaphysical) back to a point in time( or forward assuming you're still here) in the past. Your current mind might be able to overlap with your past mind, or possibly override it. Its there that you could alter THAT particular timeline for as long as you interact in it. Go back to your current timeline and the alterations would not carry over to THIS timeline since what happened here has happened and can't be changed. But you would be able to learn things . You could sit at the grassy knoll and find out who really killed JFK. Who killed Seth Rich. Who killed Vince Foster. What crashed at RoswellI( if you're old enough, I'm not). Who did what, where, when , how. Or... you could stay in that timeline altering it to suit yourself. Bring back here what you find out and blackmail people or bring them to justice. Maybe its not " a real" timeline at all, but the soul might be able to relive your past to give you better insight into your life and you just don't utilize it the way you're supposed to. Its open to you after you die, but you find some way to do it now while you're living. Anyway, its an intriguing possibility.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Except it makes no sense because it's an impossibility. All you would have to do is kill ONE person and time would be changed. It is impossible that people could be completely devoted to killing 1 person, go back in time billions of times, and unable to ever accomplish that goal.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Time isn't actually real in the sense that it could actually be linear though. I think all known science needs to be applied less on any hypothetical explanations because it is clearly beyond our understanding if it exists in an form.

I believe we need to start with the understanding that time doesn't exist the way we usually agree that it does. Everything that has ever and will ever happen is happening at the same moment which is right now. Consider instead of time being represented by an arrow connected to a line that it is a stack of individual pieces of paper laid on top of each other so that together they represent a beginning and ending with a past and a future relative to the sheet of paper our experience is occupying. Events aren't happening after each other and then we move down the screen to the next series but instead being stacked on top of one another.

If we hold that as true (which we should universally) and we accept that consciousness is non local then we can start to imagine a form of time travel which could occur that doesn't involve the transfer of matter from one instance to another but instead allows consciousness to experience instances which would be considered out of time.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm no expert but it seems to me that if one could go back and kill your grandfather you would be able to do it for the simple fact you ALREADY exist. So killing your grandfather would not change a thing. You wouldn't poof out of existence nor would the killing bullet suddenly disappear on its way to your grandfather. You would just pull the trigger and kill your grandfather.
edit on 18-6-2017 by Terminal1 because: Typo

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

And who would be your parents, who would have given birth to you? The atoms that compose your body would compose other things instead.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Your mother and father of course. Remember you have already been created allowing you to go back in the first place.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I dig it, OP.

Past time travel is not impossible because the Grandfather paradox proves it is. And that is because the Grandfather paradox ASSUMES it is possible to successfully kill your grandfather while time traveling to the past.

Maybe it's not.

I like it. Maybe there is a natural 'cause of death' we are not privy to...

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Read 'Ripples in the Dirac Sea'-best time travel story ever. Anyway, in that, you could only travel back and return to the present. Each time you came back to the present the new timeline from the past merged into the original so none of the changes you made lasted into the present.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I think the concept of multiverses solves this.
The show The Flash explores this in depth through the story arc.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Ugh, I REALLY hate to break it to you guys, but this can't be solved. But not because we don't have the technology, rather, it is unsolvable due to the fact it's a false question.

If you kill your grandfather, you were never born. = can't happen, therefore no futures exist.

End of story.

It's NOT a paradox. It CAN'T be done.

Instead of thinking about what comes AFTER, think about what comes before.

How you could you possibly arrive at the moment you were about to kill your grandfather before you were born? What could possibly occur for that to happen?

NOTHING.

It can't happen, not with a working time machine could it be done.

False question, Next!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

What mother and father? They don't exist. Those people will never be born.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join