It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A brief tutorial for writing poetry...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Poetry is a great tool for self expression and a therapeutic exercise to help release emotions.

I'm sharing this so others can have better access to this tool.Hopefully, it will enrich their experience, no matter if their poetry is just for themselves.This practice works best when feeling emotional and looking to do something constructive.

When you practice using this technique, try to avoid shorting yourself or the ideas you come up with as you go about recording your thoughts.Just practice having confidence in yourself, by letting the ideas flow.The more the merrier and this works better with practice.Just use your intuition and get your thoughts down.

In the latter stages, there is plenty of opportunity to fine tune your words, the structure and all the other left brain stuff.

A state of relaxation is very helpful for letting those creative juices flowing.Before starting to write, it's a good idea to take a few minutes counting your blessings and giving thanks to the universe. Reminiscing over some fond memories of beautiful experiences and memorable moments can be a good way to get primed.Enjoy the moment, and it's beauty can help one feel more receptive to finer thoughts.

1)Thought showers - Setting the up the ideas

First up you want to contemplate your topic.

Take your topic and place it in a circle in the middle of a blank piece of paper.The topic can be whatever you want, usually I go with a theme, image or emotion.

Next, note the sensations that come to mind when you focus on the topic in the middle.Make separate circles(2) around the center circle to write down those images, or thoughts.Write down what comes to you naturally, however related to the topic.Images that remind you of memories related to the topic in question, feelings or emotions.

Take a look at these smaller circles that (2) you written words into.Repeat the process.Use images, sayings, memories or whatever comes to mind to expand each of these points.I usually shoot for as many I can write on the paper while still able to read the writing.Let it flow, and don't scrutinize it, plenty of time for that later.

After going through all the smaller circles, take a look at what you've written.

The first level is the main idea in the center.
The second level are the words you wrote down in the smaller circles.
The third level is the description of the words in the second level.

Now write verses inspired by each level working backwards from the third level.Please consider doing this sequentially, numbering the verses if you want to maintain continuity of thought.This is useful for writing story style.

Write about the word in the center of each circle.I usually use them as keywords in the verse.Feel free to fool around with the words placement.It can be in the verse anywhere.Try writing couplets (2 rhyming verses) at a time.Do not really worry about singles either at this point.Just use your intuition, and imagination to be descriptive.I usually do this in notepad.

2)Flow

So at this point you have a bunch of verses written out, or on notepad on your computer.When using paper, make sure you write big, and double space it.

To develope the structure of your poem, copy and paste the verses in different orders.You can separate couplets, by experimenting with the placement of single verses.Place the single verses wherever you feel best.

Experiment with the different emotions the words evoke.I usually do this by copying and pasting sequentially underneath where the verses are written in the notepad.I go through all the verses till their done.

Now the rough framework is set up.I repeat the previous steps again, investigating how the feel of the poem changes.Do this to your heart's content.Look over the poem now.

Alter verses that take away from the flow.You can edit the words using your memory or thesaurus or try different synonyms, homonyms, and other figures of speech.In a text editor don't hesitate to try different things because it's so easy to just copy and paste as much as you need to better your work.

When using pen and paper you can do the above as well but it lends itself better to shorter poems.

What you want to do is record the original order of the verses down on a separate sheet of paper.These are the numbered order of the verses.Copy the poem again.Photocopying is easier.

Take some scissors and divvy up a copy.Try out arranging the verses in different orders.Write down the orders on another piece of paper.Once you have an order you like, you can edit and rewrite the poem, with different words for best expressing your emotions.Rewrite the poem once your satisfied.

3)Personalizing

Observe your manner of speech as you go about your business.Certain words will rhyme for you, but not others due to your unique style.An example of myself is the words "with" and "this".The dialect spoken in your area comes into play here.Save notes to remind yourself of all the words that rhyme for you.This is your own unique creative touch on your work.Feel free to ruminate over your writing, often an incubation period can be productive for adding to this form of expression.When revisiting it, you can add to the material.

Summary

I wanted to share this as a way for people to help express pent up emotion through written art.Hopefully, this have given you a good idea about some basic poetry writing technique.The idea here is to just let the mind flow, and go over the work afterwards.Experiment with this, modifying, and improving it as you see fit.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Not like I did you mean ? LOL
Just sorta drifted out of my head and scribbled down, mentally I was not a good place at the time and some of the crap I get caught in on ATS prob didnt help either

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ClydeBuilt

Lol, I don't remember coming across yours ClydeBuilt. It's all good, when it comes to this sort of thing, it just feels good to get it out there. I'm the type of person that used to get mad and write when I was upset. Burning those was a good way to ease my frustration...

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I am currently in my own personal detox, and to help me I write daily to remain strong in my resolve. Often adding it to a picture so it stands out to me..

This is something I made just today. It's not Chaucer, that's for sure lol, but a brief, short, reflection of where I am. It helps me to keep my focus.. Poetry has always been something I have loved. even if I suck at it.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
You should join us over here.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

That's awesome.I like how you illustrated it too.Poetry flowing from the heart is the best, practice not underestimating yourself.It's golden.

Here's wishing you all the best on the detox, we all have our battles.

a reply to: olaru12

Thanks for the invite.

Idk. I had the op sitting in storage at my dad's.I thought it would be good to share on a rainy day, and chatting with him gave me some ideas for other threads.Hopefully, others can put the ideas to use or use it as a cookbook to spark their own creativity.I am looking forward to getting back to practicing writing more poetry.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ta-daaaaaa!

Boxes

Hand me down yon box my son, the one thats draped in red, for civil wars abroad this day and we may soon be dead. The box is auld and swathed in red, for red is deaths dark colour. Its treated harsh, it should be blue, for blue is freedoms mother.

We shall not die alone my son, for other men and sons are talking just as we. For now and then these things must pass, that freemen remain free. So hand me down my box dear son, aye closer, to my bed, shine these guns bright....take 'them' the fight for truth is never dead!

Some Bobbing John or Jane may dance tae guile ye from your ardour, but stay your hand and sheath your blade, for truth she has nae colour. Nae waving flag, nor beating drum can call you to their lie, for dare ye dance a harlots prance, then you will surely die.

They always come...they always do...a scant few years or more, for 'higher men' who plot such things, are rotten to the core. They cannot see, they cannot hear the souls who raised them high, they only know that when it comes, its not their time to die.

For evil men whom we have raised, have brought us to this end. They bob and weave and sell their arse, their riches to pretend. And with our hearts, our swords at hand, our rights we must defend. And rights they are by God, my son, and by God are defended, no english marque nor royal hand to be by favour ended.

Shine up my steel and test my guns, that our aim will be true, for I know of no better man to fight aside, my son that man is you. Our time to fight is drawing near and our hearts must be willing, to fight that fight, defend the right and rage among the killing.

For we hail not from mountain glens, the plaid around our shoulders. No throaty chants, no gaelic rants from out among the boulders. For we are urban warriors son, unblessed with Alba's beauty. But rest assured as Glesgas poor, we shall still fund our duty.
Cadence is something akin to Burns "I'll go and be a sodjer"
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ClydeBuilt

Sweet, the spirit of a warrior.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit....ya bass!
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Echo's Dilemna...

This One is for you.

You give me butterflies,
Lifting me up.
When I'm feeling down,
You are always around.

You saw me one day,
At the park.
In my foot steps,
I heard you.

Alone,
Looking back,
I couldn't imagine,
Let alone realize,
True beauty,
Approaching me.

I couldn't believe it,
Your words were mine,
The tail end of a mystery,
I hurt you,
When you wanted to come together.

I'm sorry,
Forgive me,
Your sweet looks,
Cannot be captured.
Your spirit,
The sound of laughter,
Your love is true,
Your love is free,
A gift to me.

They tried taking your voice,
And breaking your heart,
It took that happening to me,
For us to have a new start.

Clip clop,
Clip clop,
The sound of boots,
Make me wish they are all yours,
Your love is whole other world,
I'm a lucky guest.

Feeling naughty,
I always look forward to coffee,
Let's sing together now,
Independant,
Together,
Flow,
Tempo,
How come when it to comes to dancing,
I'm the one trying to keep up?

Inspiring,
The song that you sing,
Lighter then a feather,
Showing me what's better.

The closer we are,
The more gentle the sound.
You remind me of a joy,
Time forgot.

Still wondering where your wings are,
About the way you speak,
Reminds me of the now,
When lovers meet.

Lets take the bikes out,
and enjoy the view,
You have me dreaming,
Of another date please,
IOU.

I have been really busy lately practicing being more proactive in my life on all levels. I recently had the pleasure of meeting someone who has helped remind me of what really matters. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll never see them again

I wrote this poem, using the technique I shared in this thread a long time ago. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any feedback from them.

I gotta run, it's from the perspective of Narcissus, about Echo.

It ties into my personal life through the heartbreak I felt today. Tears can heal, let's see what the future brings.

Back to firefighting, please wish me luck: (

edit on 18-7-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I feel much better now. She's all right.

Thanks everyone, I'll pay it forward.

top topics

join