It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 25 Years In Prison, Man Is Finally Free After Being Framed By Detroit PD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I know this kind of stuff happens and thank goodness the man is finally free...But to say I would have been Pissed is an understatement. I wish the ones responsible for this miscarriage of justice would spend the next 25 years of their lives locked up..
www.activistpost.com...

By Dawn Luger

After being locked up in prison for 25 years, the entire time claiming he was framed by the Detroit police department, a man finally gets to taste his freedom. New tests have absolved Desmond Ricks, now 51, of a 1992 murder he’s certain police framed him for.

Ricks has never changed his story but the same cannot be said for the police, who switched out the evidence. Since being accused of the murder of his friend, Gerry Bennett, Ricks has denied that he committed the crime and alleged that the cops framed him with false evidence. And his claims have now been vindicated. A judge on Friday threw out the murder conviction of Desmond Ricks who has been in prison for a quarter of a century after new tests on the bullets supported his remarkable claim that police framed him with bogus evidence.

It was in 2008 that Detroit closed their crime lab due to all their revealed mishandling of evidence.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Another case of guilty until proven innocent.

People love playing God.

edit on 31-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

...new tests on the bullets supported his remarkable claim that police framed him with bogus evidence.

Whose bullets were they?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I hope he gets a large settlement and the police involved get put in a bad bad place.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

...new tests on the bullets supported his remarkable claim that police framed him with bogus evidence.

Whose bullets were they?

Might not necessarily have a trace on whose they were but they could tell they were not from a gun he handled.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saibotkram1988

originally posted by: intrptr

Whose bullets were they?

Might not necessarily have a trace on whose they were but they could tell they were not from a gun he handled.

So why did the cops knowingly 'frame him'? Who were they covering for?

Edit: I have to go so instead of playing twenty questions I'll just add something...

Bullet forensics are as accurate as finger prints. If the lands and grooves match there is no doubt. If the lab declared a match falsely, they knew it was a hoax, apparently they 'have been closed' for 'mishandling' evidence? Thats evidence of a far deeper problem connected with the P, not just "whoopsies".

edit on 31-5-2017 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Good question ... no no.. Great Question. The bullets presented was a .38 celebre. That's a perfect back up side arms for a police officer.
But it appears that the Crime Lab had a few Scandals of their own.🤔

Most county jails, when a prisoner is not released in time. The inmate starts collecting cash by the hundreds per minute. Can't wait to see the pay out for this.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Bullet forensics are as accurate as finger prints.

Commonly used in the court of law yes. Accurate? Nah, not that accurate at all.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I hope he gets a large settlement and the police involved get put in a bad bad place.

he probably won't, most if not all states have a cap if any at all, on what they will pay people that have been falsely imprisoned. it is basicly chump change.
two years ago Michigan had a bill in the house to and i quote the article " help wrongly convicted " 60,000 dollars.

House bill to help wrongly convicted passes unanimously

edit on 31-5-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

forensic ballistics is a very accurate science, it has been proven for many years. not just from the lands and groves, even some firearms the marks that are left on the casings and the rims from ejection.
edit on 31-5-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
nm
edit on 31-5-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

According to his prior history, he was not a "good guy". Sure it sucks being convicted for something you didn't do, but he would have ended up in prison anyway.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Just what we need. People cheering for cops to be even more corrupt. Just because the courts didn't send this guy away for life the first time, doesn't mean the cops get to fake evidence.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Just what we need. People cheering for cops to be even more corrupt. Just because the courts didn't send this guy away for life the first time, doesn't mean the cops get to fake evidence.

No, I think the cops are wrong, and should be punished. All I am saying is, society didn't miss him and was better off without him. As far as celebrating, people are celebrating the release of a violent felon back into society, yay!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

If he was framed then those who framed him should be brought before the courts , justice cuts both ways.
Glad he's been freed but how must it feel to lose the best years of your life because of the lies of others.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I'm glad the man is free. I can only hope he can adjust back to being on the outside.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Do any of you really believe any cop is a good cop ? You take a Job KNOWING the people who pay you commit crimes Worst then Any you will ever bust and call that a good guy ?
Do any of you believe for even one mint there can be justice in any court that has 300 cases done before lunch ?
I do know one thing most of you believe they are criminals and as such should be tortured raped and hung .
Most people here would have been witch hunters . Most people here would have been lynchers .
Most people here would have been a the Inquisition side as he tortured the non believer .
A GOOD cop doesn't bust his brother who is a dope dealer in meth > A good cop stands idly by wile his partner smokes a joint he confiscated from some kid who he busted .
These are the good ones ( we all know what the worst ones do and even then the good ones just stand and watch .
You trust a system ran by people who are no different then you ( they will take any advantage of anything they feal they can get by anyone .
The ONLY difference with me is i KNOW i would never bust my own blood nore turn in my partners so am unqualified to be a cop .
Its a tiny difference but the one that means I am not the hypocrite .

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

This kind of thing happens often enough and it's such a symbol of corruption on every level of our government.

I don't understand how someone can be complicit in a plan to lock an innocent man up and then live with himself for 25 years.

Do you think they lose sleep over it? Do they think about the innocent man when they're tucked safely in their own bed, when they're toasting their own family on holidays, when they're eating a lovely meal?

Listen, I've written about corruption in my own small village. It starts small. It travels. It's endemic in all governments. It's too tempting for humans to resist.

If you go through the day without corrupting the lives of the people around you, without lying, without locking up an innocent man, without hurting someone....then hey, you're doing a great job in this life thing.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

What a great world. The officers and the prosecutor all paid for by the people just to abuse the people and later use the people's money to pay for their mistakes. Let's see how many of the living people involved get arrested. Anyone want to take a guess?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie

Bullet forensics are as accurate as finger prints.

If forensics can't be verified, then the lab results are "inconclusive', not "well, maybe". If they declared a match thats conclusive, which they did (falsely) and put a man in prison behind it.

Thats what cracks me up about this generation , born of the internet they have no clue what forensics is. To them its just another opinion...

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

even some firearms the marks that are left on the casings and the rims from ejection.

Firing pin indentations as well.

<<   2 >>

join