It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

49 shot in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend — and that's a sign of progress

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Chicago saw a decrease in shootings over the Memorial Day weekend ...

Only 49 shooting and 5 killings !!

Last year had 7 killings !!

Progress by any standard !!

CHICAGO — The grim tally of 49 shot over Memorial Day weekend, historically one of the most violent times of the year here, is oddly the latest sign the city may be turning a corner in the fight against gun violence.

Five people were killed and 44 wounded in shootings between Friday evening and Monday night, an improvement over last year's total of 7 killed and 61 injured.

The decrease highlights the slow progress police say they’ve made in the first five months of the year to reduce Chicago’s stubbornly high murder rate through technology that helps commanders better deploy street cops.

As of Tuesday morning, Chicago has recorded 235 murders so far this year, compared to 244 for the same time period in 2016. Shooting incidents have dropped more significantly to 1,047 compared to 1,222 last year, according to police department data.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's the guns buddy, second amendment or otherwise, the problems self evident really.

+4 more 
posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

It's the guns buddy, second amendment or otherwise, the problems self evident really.

But all the shootings are committed with illegal guns.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
175 less shooting incidents in a year IS progress. It doesn't make sense to believe that what's happening in Chicago has some overnight solution.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Non the less they do the same damage legal or otherwise.

I get that Americans hold with the right to bear arms, but at some point you need to consider the damage that these weapons legal or otherwise inflict upon your population.

Fact is a significant percentage of the people who commit firearms offences are way to crazy to be allowed to carry such weaponry, legally or otherwise.

Edit: On reflection that's a lot of "legally or otherwise" statements from me. LoL

And i get that the majority of people will disagree with my assessment regarding the matter but the facts are self evident.

edit on 30-5-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Chicago saw a decrease in shootings over the Memorial Day weekend ...

Only 49 shooting and 5 killings !!

Last year had 7 killings !!

Progress by any standard !!

CHICAGO — The grim tally of 49 shot over Memorial Day weekend, historically one of the most violent times of the year here, is oddly the latest sign the city may be turning a corner in the fight against gun violence.

Five people were killed and 44 wounded in shootings between Friday evening and Monday night, an improvement over last year's total of 7 killed and 61 injured.

The decrease highlights the slow progress police say they’ve made in the first five months of the year to reduce Chicago’s stubbornly high murder rate through technology that helps commanders better deploy street cops.

As of Tuesday morning, Chicago has recorded 235 murders so far this year, compared to 244 for the same time period in 2016. Shooting incidents have dropped more significantly to 1,047 compared to 1,222 last year, according to police department data.

Im not really getting your point?

There was a decrease. Period.

Trust me, I would rather we rid the world of guns so there would be 0 shootings internationally annually. But thats not possible. So we have to work with what we got.

The murder rate in Chicago has more to do with income inequality than anything else.

Thats what almost all crime is tied to.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It would be much safer for the innocent citizens to just abandon Chicago and leave the criminals to their own devices. When they keep killing each other at least nothing of value would be lost. Just move back in when they are done. Problem solved.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
It would be much safer for the innocent citizens to just abandon Chicago and leave the criminals to their own devices. When they keep killing each other at least nothing of value would be lost. Just move back in when they are done. Problem solved.

A la Escape From New York.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

Careful suggestions like that might prompt Trump to build another wall.

It would be like "Escape From New York" i suppose.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Democrats are to blame! They're forcing these people to buy guns and then shoot each other with them and I'm pretty sure they twist their arms until they pull the trigger.

Obama is there watching every shooting too, laughing maniacally through the slightly cracked tinted windows of his limousine.

This is the only viable option for what is happening in Chicago.
edit on 5/30/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Yes, Chicago has had big income inequality since the 1930s.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Chicago? Is that a town in Syria? Thank God America doesn't have places like this, can you imagine how embarrassing that would be for the land of the free and the home of the brave?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Democrats are to blame! They're forcing these people to buy guns and then shoot each other with them and I'm pretty sure they twist their arms until they pull the trigger.

Obama is there watching every shooting too, laughing maniacally through the slightly cracked tinted windows of his limousine.

Well actually, every single shooting in Chicago happens in a Democrat voting precinct.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

A la Escape From New York.

Exactly plus they could livestream the whole city getting torn apart and use the money to rebuild it from scratch without gangs and drug labs. We bomb terrorists so why not just go in and kill all the gang members. Give them one chance to surrender peacefully or they get a bullet to the head. Seriously the soft approach is clearly not working. Is there any logical reason why known gang hideouts are not immediately burned to the ground?
edit on 30-5-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Well actually, every single shooting in Chicago happens in a Democrat voting precinct.

I thought Democrats are against guns?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I know, and shootings never happen in Republican voting precincts, like ever. Everyone knows this, shootings are the fault of Democrats and the blame lies squarely on their shoulders, especially Obama's. Not the people doing the shootings, the Democrats and Obama and Hillary.

We know that if they wanted the shootings to stop they could just snap their fingers and they would, but they want shootings to happen so they don't use their magical super powers. Evil bastards and their ability to mind control people into shooting other people!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Correlation does not me causation...

how about you look deeper, the majority of Democrat voting precincts are poor.

Once again, poverty drives crime, not race or political affiliation.

Unless your crime is of the hate variety.. then youre most likely a republican.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Wooo! Hell yeah, genocide is the best! Let's just put a bullet in the head of anyone that looks remotely like a gang member in Chicago. Not sure how we'll be able to tell who is or is not in a gang but it can and should be done! Just start profiling people and whoever fits it shoot first and ask questions later.

Might be better to just nuke the place and get it over with really.
edit on 5/30/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I thought Democrats are against guns

LOL - what gave you that impression? Some democrats are against OTHERS having particular guns, these democrats have their guns, and private security too - they simply want to ensure others do not have what they have.

I repeat - SOME democrats.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Your augment probobly contains a modicum of credibility, might even solve the majority of the problems that plague the area in question.

But sending in the troops to "give them one chance to surrender peacefully or they get a bullet to the head" kind of supports the argument as to why they would be carrying illegal guns.

I would watch it through, sounds like good TV.

And that's the problem with humanity, we simply love to watch other peoples misery, especially so if it's on big screen live TV.

Were a sad bunch really.

edit on 30-5-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join