It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - Color Picker Reversed In Gimp (PhotoShop)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'm wondering if anyone who uses Gimp or Photoshop regularly can help confirm this.

I've been working with colors for a theme over the last several days.

Yesterday morning when I sat down to work, the gradient in the color picker was reversed and backwards.

Here's what it looks like now:

Here's how it used to look:

I've been working with image manipulation software for well over a decade (often working with color palettes). I'm 100% positive it changed.. It's knowledge, not a memory.

This wasn't an update, this box is a custom Ubuntu build that I scripted myself from core. Repos and cache are empty, updates are off in debconf, plus the box was powered down over night and Gimp's version number is the same.

When you look in Google Images for the color picker, all images look like what it looks like now. I haven't found residue (but I haven't looked hard).

Can anyone else confirm it's changed?

I'm honestly trying to research if anyone else notices the change.. Please don't fill the thread up with jokes or hate. I'll skip past the chaff to look for your responses - thank you.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I would say #2 looks more familiar, but I don't work with images all the time as well. I pulled up Paint for fun and the setup is completely different.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

Care to explain why you photoshopped the 2nd image?

Your first image (what it looks like today) zoomed in at the top:

Your second image (ala what it "used to look like") zoomed in at the top, clearly showing a layer has been pasted on, but not aligned good enough:

I can do something like that too. How GIMP 2 looks on my PC:

Use the selection tool to copy the color gradient area, then paste it on again, rotate it around, and then move it into place and anchor the layer and tah-dah! Oh look, it used to look different on mine too:

Only as you can see, I was a LOT more careful on my alignment when I did it.

And again here:

I think you have some 'splaining to do.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I use gimp all the time and neither of the pictures look right to me. lol

The second is definitely not right.

(post by elliotmtl removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Your first image (what it looks like today) zoomed in at the top:

Your second image (ala what it "used to look like") zoomed in at the top, clearly showing a layer has been pasted on, but not aligned good enough:

I can do something like that too. How GIMP 2 looks on my PC:

Use the selection tool to copy the color gradient area, then paste it on again, rotate it around, and then move it into place and anchor the layer and tah-dah! Oh look, it used to look different on mine too:

Only as you can see, I was a LOT more careful on my alignment when I did it.

And again here:

He was probably just trying to show what he remembered it looking like previously. I doubt he had a screenshot of it handy.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The OP mentioned that there was no "residue", so the OP had looked for screenshots of the way it was and when they couldn't find it, they photoshopped it so we could see what they were talking about.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I looked at my legacy version of Gimp (Version 2.8) which is sitting on an old air-gapped computer (not intentionally air-gapped -- but the the wifi is broken!), and it looks like this (silimar to the OP's picture #1) with the black on the left side:

GIMP 2.8:

I looked at my legacy version of Photoshop (Version 9.0), and the color picker has the black on the bottom, like the OP's picture #2

PHOTOSHOP CS2 (9.0):

HOWEVER -- I specifically remember GIMP always being different than Photoshop in this respect. I noticed this years ago, and had always figured it was simply one of the ways GIMP intentionally tried to look different than Photoshop.

edit on 27/4/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

This GIMP Page shows the black on the bottom.

GIMP is always doing stuff I didn't ask it to regarding windows and docks. I'm guessing it might be some sort of config setting or theme?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

What these folks said:
elliotmtl
jjkenobi
mclarenmp4

Relax a little.. Nobody here is trying to trick you.

----

Also, thanks to those voting for the first or second image!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Great catch.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

This GIMP Page shows the black on the bottom.

GIMP is always doing stuff I didn't ask it to regarding windows and docks. I'm guessing it might be some sort of config setting or theme?

Hmmm. It's possibly a GIMP setting, but I do remember the old version (Gimp 2.8) that I used as being different than Photoshop. Like I said, I assumed it was intentionally a different orientation to intentionally be different than Photoshop, but as you indicated, their help page for version 2.9 seems to show it in the same orientation as Photoshop.

I looked for a setting on my version of Gimp to change the orientation of the color picker, but I could not find it (if it even exists on my version).

edit on 27/4/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
this is getting sillier and sillier , human mind is terrible

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

he said that is just an illustration
though i dont agree with him

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People - Zarniwoop

You guys rock! Thank you.

I can't fire up my Windows install (used for gaming), because I modified the partition on the Linux side and Windows freaked out. I don't care to fix it, and I have a PS4.

Soylent Green Is People - I checked for a setting too incase I had bumped it, but there's no setting for it.

The fact that:
1. Gimp's homepage shows black on bottom (I should of researched better).
2. Zarniwoop has seen Gimp change without them changing it.
3. I'm using Gimp 2.8.
4. I was working with a theme for sublime-text and had recently installed Atom, Brackets, LightTable and Gedit to compare against. One of them required downgrading libgconf which may of been responsible.

..means this is not likely a Mandela Effect.

I was kind of excited to think I discovered one.. No biggie, better to have it sorted.

Thanks again all.

-------------

Hey wait..

I just checked Gimp's page and black is on the bottom. That's how mine looked up until 2 days ago. Is that residue?

Google Images shows black to the left, everyone's black is on the left.. ..Yet I know mine was black at the bottom, and Gimp's pages still shows black at the bottom.

It's stretching to assume downgrading libgconf might of caused it - they shouldn't be related at all but it's the only thing I can think of that changed over the last several days.

What the crap - it stands out like a sore thumb - blah this weird a$$ world.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

This makes no sense.... i remember it as a third option and that is the white corner in the lower left..... and Ive been editing as late as 5 hours ago....

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

Are you being serious? Please be honest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join