It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Originality and Intelligence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

d. an understanding of what really does and does not have anything to do with truth - which is the entire purpose of philosophy and metaphysics.

Ah truth. Many, including myself, look for threads that support our belief system, that in turn, rewards our ego. But the true wealth of ATS are all the opposing viewpoints that challenge our belief systems. ATS more than not, continually surprizes me in this regard. There are a great many opposing viewpoints to ponder. Thats if, our mind is up to the challenge.

..... "All the world is mad but me and I am starting to have serious doubts of late, about me".

I see that you tripped on the word "truth" but didn't see it in proper context.

But I do relate to that quote sometimes!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
99% of people don't have a single original idea in their heads. There's no blame though-- most people don't know how to think for themselves, and thinking for yourself is hard. Its one of the hardest things you can do.

This sub-forum is mostly sh*t because people think philosophy & Metaphysics means they can just come here and start mumbling and raving about whatever New Age bromides and inanities are bouncing around in their head at the moment. I used to put a lot of time and effort into my posts here, but no longer. Its not worth it.

That was a dramatic and vulgar way of agreeing with me. Haha! Everyone... I present to you my hidden thoughts. LOL.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
a reply to: Talorc

I used to put a lot of time and effort into my posts here, but no longer. Its not worth it.

Quite frankly that is just as big a reason as to why this forum is $#!+ As the number of people doing bad threads. What I mean to say: it's not just that there are a lot of bad threads, but that there's not that many good ones either. It seems like I'm saying the same thing two different ways there but I'm not.

If you are capable of producing quality threads(which I do applaud OP for) then you should, because one good thread is worth its weight in gold whereas bad ones go for a couple pennies a dozen. A few good threads, a handful? There may still be a bunch of bad threads still, but suddenly there's a whole lot of of $#!+ That's gone.

Heck, if you can call a bad thread bad, then surely there must be a way that it's good, too? Could be good, I mean. Thusly able to perceive the possibility action torwards discovering it is possible. When it could be oncovered, it wouldn't be thread drift at all because it would address the heart of what the discussion was. Bad threads can be rescued.

Beautiful. Thank you Lucid. You reflected here what occurred to me when developing the OP. I figured that I would address the root first.

And thanks for the compliment!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Probably you are suggesting something nice but also probably i should keep my healthy sleeping patterns.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: xbeta

Probably you are suggesting something nice but also probably i should keep my healthy sleeping patterns.

Hmm.. What's a healthy sleep pattern?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
Tell me what you know.

Or should I say, "Tell me what you believe."

Since you neglected to include much of what you complained is missing from threads, I will offer a bit on the above.
You seem to be conflating 'Knowledge' and 'beliefs'.
They are far from the same thing.
The new, critically updated, all inclusive, Universal definition of 'Knowledge';

"'Knowledge' is 'that which is perceived', Here! Now!!"

All inclusive!

That which is perceived by the unique individual Perspective is 'knowledge'.
All we can 'know' is what we perceive, Now! and Now! and Now!!!

'Ignorance' is that which is NOT perceived, at any particular moment, by any particular unique Perspective! Here! Now!

'Belief', on the other hand, is a pathologically symptomatic infection of the ego/thoughts that inhibits cognitive and intellectual ability leading to insanity.
It is not rational, not 'chosen', is 'caught' when resistance is low...

I did notice you mentioned 'originality'.
We do not 'originate' anything, not thought, not anything, we are perceivers.
And if 'intelligence' is the ability to live in harmony with the environment of which we are features, then man is about the only unintelligent creature, since possessed by 'thought/ego'!

So I have come back to this.

I appreciate your offering, but I wonder about some things:

Those who hold their beliefs to be true, even unto death, actually believe those things. Those beliefs are rooted in knowledge. Those who would change their beliefs upon death never had knowledge at all.

Honest beliefs are rooted in knowledge. Therefore, honest beliefs are rooted in some fact - whether the fact is true or not should be the center of the debate.

You say that all that we can know is what we perceive. That is untrue. Nuclear technology is possible because a few smart people saw that which was never perceived; it was conjured from the depths of the mind. Television was not perceived until the mind discovered it. Shall I go on?

As for ignorance, far too often, ignorance is a symptom of a willful disregarding of the obvious. That is why the law does not forgive based upon ignorance of the law. There is some sense assumed even in the most "ignorant" of individuals.

Your description of belief is so biased that I simply want to advise you to examine your own beliefs; which you seem to have expressed here... ... ...

The only part I agree with is that we are not true originators. That's true. We are more akin to discoverers. But we have that creative instinct nevertheless.

As for intelligence - no. That is not the ability to live in harmony with others. Feeling is that ability. Intelligence is merely a collection of knowledge. That collection is accessed by thinkers and feelers alike from different perspectives. Here's a trip for you: There are some thinkers that wish better for humanity than some feelers.
edit on 4/15/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Are, not see. See?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Truth to animals behavior has a lot to do with instincts in respect to survival.

It is possible that humans are similar but upon some other scale?

We could relate to the Multiverse as what we relate to today is akin to a facet in a Diamond....

Does not mean we understand the meaning of life.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

Truth to animals behavior has a lot to do with instincts in respect to survival.

It is possible that humans are similar but upon some other scale?

We could relate to the Multiverse as what we relate to today is akin to a facet in a Diamond....

Does not mean we understand the meaning of life.

Of course humans are similar(to animals).

We all have to eat, we all have senses, we all have bodies.

Hmm... Multiverse. When I consider that term, I imagine that there must still be a unifying aspect to those. I tend to consider the whole of the Multiverse subset as being the parts of the whole universe.

There is one of something and that is "To Exist".

As for understanding the meaning of life, does it not suffice to say that the meaning is to be alive? Now, for an individual to question their own life and not life in general I have found tends to produce the more profound ideas.
edit on 4/15/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Clarification. Not Hannibal's version, either.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Are you calling me an animal? haha jk.

hi-5 my friend!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I wax even more philosophical with drink.

The bane of my existence is that I drink to slow this foolish head down... Not to have fun.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Neith

Are you calling me an animal? haha jk.

hi-5 my friend!

My friend! Hi! And a hi-5! Thanks for showing up!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I exist because I can observe?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

I exist because I can observe?

You observe because you have senses. If you have senses then you surely exist; for even those things without senses, like gravel, exist. Therefore, your existence is proven twofold and the existence of the rock which you sense is proven threefold.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Everything that is animated and exists in order to survive has to eat, sleep, defecate, reproduce and perceive in order to stay alive.

Profound in the sense that otherwise the organisms do not survive.

Life after death presents that life is an experience beyond death.

There is no death in so far as we commonly define it.

Relevant philosophically and religiously today??I If accurate the stuff taught in kindergarten in thousands of years.

Personally I love it

edit on 15-4-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Letting yourself have 80% death during certain hours of the day. Well actually ratio is stated lower. I am not sure why i said it that way. It should be less than 1%.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

It possible for the rock to be alive upon some other scale.

We just need to prove to ourselves that we are alive upon such a scale where implied is what is fundamental, as far as we today comprehend.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Letting yourself have 80% death during certain hours of the day. Well actually ratio is stated lower. I am not sure why i said it that way. It should be less than 1%.

I would say that the reason you wanted to denote a ratio is because of intuition. I can rationalize and improve upon your theory. The brain uses roughly 30 percent of the calories your body takes in. Factor in the other organs, I would say that about 50% of the calories we take in are used this way. Therefore it could be said that to be asleep is to be half-dead.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You observe because you have senses. If you have senses then you surely exist; for even those things without senses, like gravel, exist. Therefore, your existence is proven twofold and the existence of the rock which you sense is proven threefold.

What do you 'exist' as? You witness sensation and rocks but take away all that appears to you and what remains?
edit on 16-4-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

What do you 'exist' as? You witness sensation and rocks but take away all that appears to you and what remains?

An object without objection.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I would say you would be the space which allows apparent objects to appear.
Like the screen on the tv - always present even when there is no moving picture appearing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join