It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Originality and Intelligence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This will seem a bit like a rant, and in some ways it is; but here I address the lack of substance in this particular forum: Philosophy and Metaphysics. Therefore I only see fit to post the thread here. As per ATS cliche, Mods... As if I had any power over your preference.

At any rate!

A few things:

1) No offense meant at all, but the majority of the threads that are discovered here are lacking in:

a. a true foundation for discourse;

b. a reasonable foundation for the thoughts of the OP;

c. an ability to communicate(which I can ignore if the foundation or content is truly thought-worthy);

d. an understanding of what really does and does not have anything to do with truth - which is the entire purpose of philosophy and metaphysics.

2) Those things which pass the aforementioned criteria still yet are not addressed without some difficulty on account of:

a) a desire to infect the audience instead of to interact with the audience;

b) a desire to entertain the audience instead of to interact with the audience;

c) an unwillingness to entertain contradictions without discounting them outright;

d) an obsession with intellectual discourse for the sake of the discourse alone and yet not interested in becoming a little more enlightened.

I'm not going to name names. It is borderline hypocritical of me to even create this thread as I have only ever contributed, I believe, only one thread in the history of this sub-forum.

The reason why is simple - I like to learn about objects and I like to learn about people and I like to learn about what people think about objects and I like to learn about what objects think of people!

The last line there seems like sarcasm, but is it?

Are you an object?... Or are you a thinker?

Let's discuss here; not necessarily in complete detail, but with some allowed, what you really and truly think about the thing that you think about most.

I personally wouldn't mind a mention of some arbitrary topic without a full explanation, but let ATS guidelines rule you in your quest to convince me here.

Tell me what you know.

Or should I say, "Tell me what you believe."

Hajime!
edit on 4/14/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Semicolon, L, and That

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Here's a real surprise for you...nothing has any type of substance or meaning based in fact on ATS anymore! The posts are crazy, comments are insane, you got the grammar and punctuation SS and everyone seems to have an agenda not set in reality. I gave up along time ago trying to make sense of this place.

I'm going to get blasted for this comment, but who cares anymore? I haven't posted to ATS since the election dam near, because everyone seems to have their panties in a bunch around here for differing and some obstructing reasons. Reasons that I personally, just don't get. Like I always say, "Just because you don't like the facts, that doesn't make them lies." A fact some seem to ignore with growing fanaticism on ATS.

However, I will leave you with this...seek out the old schoolers around here, ask for their insights, opinions and when possible, only make true to your heart contributions. Nothing less.

See ya in 6 months or more...depends on the crybabies!

TPE

PS
I'm not sorry for offending anyone

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

While I appreciate what you have said, but being a simple person, all I can say is the more I learn the less I know. I have my experiences but that doesn't mean I know anything. The only validation comes from other's who experience but have no way to prove.

Wouldn't we all love to know. My experience is my only knowledge.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

BTW, the mods are great. Listen to them and ask for advice. I advise asking Masqua for anything you want to know.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

I will first respond to you.

Your attempt at manipulation here is disgraceful.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

Here's a real surprise for you...nothing has any type of substance or meaning based in fact on ATS anymore! The posts are crazy, comments are insane, you got the grammar and punctuation SS and everyone seems to have an agenda not set in reality. I gave up along time ago trying to make sense of this place.

I'm going to get blasted for this comment, but who cares anymore? I haven't posted to ATS since the election dam near, because everyone seems to have their panties in a bunch around here for differing and some obstructing reasons. Reasons that I personally, just don't get. Like I always say, "Just because you don't like the facts, that doesn't make them lies." A fact some seem to ignore with growing fanaticism on ATS.

However, I will leave you with this...seek out the old schoolers around here, ask for their insights, opinions and when possible, only make true to your heart contributions. Nothing less.

See ya in 6 months or more...depends on the crybabies!

TPE

PS
I'm not sorry for offending anyone

I don't need to ask the mods. You failed to interpret my meaning...completely. I'm going to be angry with you about your mention of Masqua for a long time.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

While I appreciate what you have said, but being a simple person, all I can say is the more I learn the less I know. I have my experiences but that doesn't mean I know anything. The only validation comes from other's who experience but have no way to prove.

Your experience is a part of your knowledge, indeed. But if you consider your experiences as things that you do not know, then there is no point to your experience.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Somebody sounds a little kranky tonight.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Somebody sounds a little kranky tonight.

Bahaha!

Yeah. A little. It takes a lot for me these days. But seeing one of the only semi-fora to which I relate constantly being a minefield is perturbing. Every now and then, I become motivated to act.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I spend the most time thinking about what my brain is doing between thoughts. Are my thoughts coming from my brain or from the society in which I live. Who am I if I am not my own thoughts. I seem to be more defined by society than anything originally coming from my own creation. I guess I spend most of my time trying to unravel all my senseless delusions about my own existence in an attempt to experience something real and worthwhile.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's normal. For a while.

In time, you will realize all of those voices are only your own light scattered through the prism of objectivity.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Sorry to be the one to inform you of this and like this. But Masqua is no longer with us.
He has passed on.
Here is one of threads dedicated to Him.
Remembering Masqua

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Sorry to be the one to inform you of this and like this. But Masqua is no longer with us.
He has passed on.
Here is one of threads dedicated to Him.
Remembering Masqua

He/she knows that. They were assuming I was an idiot and trying to get me for being insensitive and trying to get me to wait forever for some response as if I needed it.

That person is truly an enemy.

I'm surprised you didn't see through that.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I'm not sure I understand you're objective, but I'll give it a go:

I know that there is a Higher Power, I don't know Its name, or if It even has one. I only connected with this Power by searching within. I've learned that as much as I can forget about myself and remain in the moment, that much am I useful and content. I believe that it is appropriate to judge another person's words and actions, but not their worthiness. I know that I am imperfect and therefore allow myself to make mistakes. Others are imperfect and I allow them to make mistakes.

I know that concerning myself with what others think of me is a waste of time. I know that trying to fit into someone's idea of me is soul crushing. I know that prayer and meditation are as important to me as food and water.

I know that in order to truly learn about life I must constantly examine my own thoughts and feelings. I try to never close my mind to new theories, activities, or people. I love mankind, but individuals tend to annoy me unless they are related to me. If I don't like something, I don't do it unless obligated to do so.

I know that French food is the tastiest, Irish songwriters speak the best to my heart, and Brazilian women are the sexiest.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Ahh, I thought they were attempting to be sincere. But I take it you've had a run in with that poster before.
Noted.
And extremely callous for them to post that if they in fact knew that already.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Your experience is a part of your knowledge, indeed. But if you consider your experiences as things that you do not know, then there is no point to your experience.

I know only from experience and validation from others. It is my knowledge but you ask for proof of knowledge and experience isn't proof. Experience is subjective.

No point in your experiences? How old are you?

As I said, a simple person here, but you are asking for knowledge and knowing in a philosophy and metaphysics forum. Do you understand what you are asking for KNOWING in such a forum?

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Ahh, I thought they were attempting to be sincere. But I take it you've had a run in with that poster before.
Noted.
And extremely callous for them to post that if they in fact knew that already.

I've read that user's posts before, but that wasn't my clue.

The clue was the attempt at sincerity in the first response and then the follow-up which assumed my ignorance. That means the poster was either a) posting from a mobile device or b) was too foolish to see that this username has been registered since 2006. Either way, it doesn't matter which, because knowing each of those two scenarios leads me to conclude that a) the person is not common here, or b) this person has set an obvious trap for me.

I could go further with details, but it would be insensitive and also damaging to a good name as that name should not be the center of any debate.

Onward.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I know only from experience and validation from others. It is my knowledge but you ask for proof of knowledge and experience isn't proof. Experience is subjective.

No point in your experiences? How old are you?

As I said, a simple person here, but you are asking for knowledge and knowing in a philosophy and metaphysics forum. Do you understand what you are asking for KNOWING in such a forum?

I am 33, friend.

I did not say there is no point to your experiences; rather that if one claims that they know nothing, then they haven't gained from their experience.

For example: someone who says,"The more I learn, the less I know" is only invalidating their experience. Their opinion of their knowledge is purely subjective then, but it is not objective.

One might say, "The more I learn, the more questions I have." That could be right, but still, subjectively. Objectively, it is possible to know more than someone else. Therefore, it only follows that there is a finite amount of general knowledge. One cannot know more than someone else unless one is limited with regard to the infinite less than another.

This is how I know that personal experience is just as important as any perceivably objective reality.

But "important" can mean for the purpose of inclusion or exclusion.

In multiple choice, it is possible to ascertain the right answer by knowing what is wrong.

In open-ended questions, it is possible to know the answer through deduction, insight, and experience.

I didn't ask for any proof. Proof is always in the eye of the beholder(s). If there were no eyes, there would be no proof.

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

I'm not sure I understand you're objective, but I'll give it a go:

I know that there is a Higher Power, I don't know Its name, or if It even has one. I only connected with this Power by searching within. I've learned that as much as I can forget about myself and remain in the moment, that much am I useful and content. I believe that it is appropriate to judge another person's words and actions, but not their worthiness. I know that I am imperfect and therefore allow myself to make mistakes. Others are imperfect and I allow them to make mistakes.

I know that concerning myself with what others think of me is a waste of time. I know that trying to fit into someone's idea of me is soul crushing. I know that prayer and meditation are as important to me as food and water.

I know that in order to truly learn about life I must constantly examine my own thoughts and feelings. I try to never close my mind to new theories, activities, or people. I love mankind, but individuals tend to annoy me unless they are related to me. If I don't like something, I don't do it unless obligated to do so.

I know that French food is the tastiest, Irish songwriters speak the best to my heart, and Brazilian women are the sexiest.

A perfect blend of objectivity and subjectivity.

You are an honest man. That's what counts!

posted on Apr, 14 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

My last response doesn't describe how impressed I am with your post.

Your thoughts rival my dad's. I hold those in high regard. Not that you should care, but I still have the feels over that post.

It is as if you described the human condition perfectly and succinctly - if that's possible.

You have my heart dancing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join