It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marvel executive says emphasis on diversity may have alienated readers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Blob

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   
No # sherlock.

The reason they are MINORITYS is because they are in the MINORITY!

So focuses your marketing on the minority of the population while ignoring the majority is going to decrease sales...........

I mean # a retarded ape should be able to see that.....

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It's tough.

Many comic book creators are turning to Kickstarter to fund their books.

The larger companies fund their titles. But it's not easy to get new readership on titles.

The only real way to get readership is to make sure the comic is well written and well drawn. Otherwise it's doomed to fail.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I dont mind them making New comics.
BUT to make THOR a woman! WTF!
they killed spider man to! are they stupid!

That is Ramming it down your gut.
Iron man had a side kick who was black
and some times put on his suit. for many YEARS.
but you dont need to KILL iron man first.
she hulk has her own comic. sexy as hell. for many years.

but they go crazy! I stop't buying comics years ago.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I want characters who make sense.

I don't want to feel like some aspect of this or that character is simply there for the window dressing. When a skin color or religion or sexual orientation or gender becomes as much the character as the character, then there is a problem because you know it was injected simply to be a selling point.

When you have an otherwise competent Capt. Save-the-Day and the story is going swimmingly, but suddenly you have the out of left field gender or sexual orientation or religious or racial issue complication that otherwise bears no impact at all on the story and doesn't fit ... then you know that aspect of the character is the permanent side-kick and as much a character as the character Capt. Save-the-Day.

Then your comic sort of sucks.

That's right.

Get that muslim super hero gal all gussied up in a skimpy I dream of jeannie outfit and a couple swords to go around taking out jihadi terrorists.

Like all the white superhero's do to the white bad guys.

That would work, I think.

Who's the blind dude? His name escapes me.

So the disabled are covered. Daredevil!

Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt are hard to beat as Catwoman. Black and white. Purrrrrrrrrrfect.

Deadpool is ugly, so that's covered. Can't think of any fat dude superheros, tho.

old one The Blob from X-men villains.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The moment that Disney bought Marvel, I knew that I wouldn't be buying their comics for much longer.

I'm of the understanding that they're making a Sentry movie. Disney doing justice to that character seems rather unlikely.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Have they stopped to think that their stories just aren't that good, across the board? I read them still, well i try to. Lets just say i read mostly the old ones, the new stories deviate so far from established lore, you can clearly see Disney creating their own version of the Marvel Universe. And that's where the problem is. Outside of the Marvel Zombies series, i haven't found anything to interest me. Hardly anything is "lore" and those that are have a "shock" value to them to the point that you are weary of anything Disney does to attract new readers. its all filled with what/ifs and cross overs to the point, it feels like someone is taking my money, i'm talking that Terry Goodkind filler!

they can use the excuse of the new introduction of diverse characters but who cares about a new hero when the story is straight bland, obvious filler? trying to blame "the white guys" isn't the problem, they don't care, trust me. what they care about is disney killing a char to introduce a new one. because that's how those morons think. not to mention captain america being a hydra agent, ho boy did they back track on that one, then they kill not only war machine, but hulk and...

I'm stepping away, i'm too close to this...

No thank you, i'll stick to the older gems.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The problem isn't diversity. The problem is their writing has slipped. Ask any comic fan why they're not reading Marvel. I don't know a single one that will say that they have a problem with the diversity. What they will say is that the writing is now terrible.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Oh my GOD...

They simply do not understand. Marvel fans do NOT have a problem with female characters. Some of the most popular X-Men are female. The problem that Marvel fans are having, is with the idea of existing characters being changed to meet diversity targets, rather than having NEW characters developed to meet the needs of a changing readership.

For example. Thor is a guy. Whether in the Norse mythology, or elsewhere, Thor is a man. He appeared as a woman on occasion in the mythology, but it was always understood that he returned to his male form after these merry jaunts. So it makes no sense for the comic book character Thor, to put down his hammer, and some how his NAME, and have both picked up by a female character. That is UTTER crap, makes no sense, and cannot possibly fly. And to be clear, it is not that it cannot fly because I am anti-female leads. I love a female lead movie, comic book, story... no problem with that. But changing a pre-existing character in the most convoluted and nonsensical fashion possible? No. I do not buy that, not for a single second.

If anyone tells me that they are going to try and sell me a pre-existing marvel hero, but with a different name than I grew up with, a different back story, origin, nationality, religious affiliation, or any other damned thing, I am going to tell them the same thing, every time. The hell with you, and the hell with your idea. Why? Its not because I am a bigot, it is because I disagree with changing pre-existing characters.

What the Marvel Universe needs is NEW characters, which EXPAND the Marvel Universe and thereby expand its appeal and level of self awareness. I DO want different ethnic groups represented by heroes and support characters alike, I DO want females to get powerful roles, but I want NONE of the pre-existing hero franchises messed around with in order to allow that to happen, and I do not think there is anything wrong with that.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

A transgender James Bond who likes it stirred, not shaken.

or a homosexual Bond

Thanks. I wanted to throw up.

Let's never speak of this again.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

agreed.

Finally.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Marvel's VP is blaming declining comic book sales on the increased diversity and female characters, like Kamala Khan a Muslim girl who is Ms Marvel.

If only there was more to 'diversity' then being force-fed Islam...

I'd like to see a badass Sikh hero who lops heads off Ottoman invaders :chuckle:
edit on 4-4-2017 by Jessica6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Theres only 1 true spiderman. Tobey mcguire. Anything else is treason.

Mr. Maguire reliquished his title after his performance in III.

Right now I'm very interested in what Tom Holland will bring to the table.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
The problem isn't diversity. The problem is their writing has slipped. Ask any comic fan why they're not reading Marvel. I don't know a single one that will say that they have a problem with the diversity. What they will say is that the writing is now terrible.

Even seen a Venn diagram? Picture one circle with 'bad writing'. Picture another circle with 'forced diversity that no one asked for.'

Where they overlap, you will have 'Marvel.'

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Diversity is fine. Diversity being rammed down people's throats when it makes no sense is not.

I love 'diverse' Luke Cage.

I remember reading an article saying spiderman is a failure unless Peter Parker is gay. That's the thinking that is alienating them.

ETA: Supergirl recently switched networks. They took an established character who was straight and turned her lesbian for no reason. The show is so crazy forced liberal (they even had an episode where they alluded to trump as being an evil dictator king) that I am done with it.
edit on 5-4-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

That does not explain the classic characters still selling well.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

They simply do not understand. Marvel fans do NOT have a problem with female characters. Some of the most popular X-Men are female. The problem that Marvel fans are having, is with the idea of existing characters being changed to meet diversity targets, rather than having NEW characters developed to meet the needs of a changing readership.

This!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join