It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens? NASA scientists shock at mystery 'CATACLYSMIC' space event

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The news regarding aliens is becoming far more abundant as of late, "i" feel like things are moving faster, but i know i need to check myself and try and remain sceptical to a degree, but when this world is full of surprises and mysteries, its is good to get lost now and again in the fantasies of the imagination, better that than getting lost in the day to day grind of life.

Anyway this recent discovery has left Scientists perplexed.......

Astronomers are struggling to explain the bizarre bright light that came from a galaxy 10.7 billion years away and suddenly vanished 24 hours later.

The phenomenon was captured by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, with space boffins initially convinced gamma ray bursts or the destruction of a white dwarf had caused it.

And experts think it has come from a "completely new type of cataclysmic event".
NASA has said the flash burst onto Chandra's radar very suddenly – exploding at a brightness by a factor of a thousand in a few hours.

But then in the space of a day, it had faded below Chandra's sensitivity.

Using data from other NASA telescopes, scientists were able to pinpoint the source of light to a distant galaxy.

Franz Brauer, of the Pontfical Catholic University, Chile, said: "Ever since discovering this source, we’ve been struggling to understand its origin.

"It’s like we have a jigsaw puzzle but we don’t have all of the pieces."

Researchers think there could be three potential causes for the deep-space rays.

These are: The collapse of a massive star, merger of a neutron star with another star or black hole, or a black hole tearing apart a white dwarf star.

But scientists say none of these theories first the data they have available, meaning it is still really a mystery."

A spelling mistake from a tabloid, ^^^ .. thats just annoying, anyway if the three possible things don't fit the data, what does?

the thing with us humans is, we really aren't as smart as we believe, but we are a young species, the advancements we have been taking recently are huge though in comparison to anything pre 20th century, i feel we are on the cusp of a new enlightenment............ but then again i get lost in fantasies. sometimes

Anyone got any ideas on this "Cataclysmic" space event?
www.dailystar.co.uk...
edit on 31-3-2017 by Davg80 because: (no reason given)

also how far is 10 billion years away?, this article is really badly written, so bad it could be deliberate. im guessin it means light years
so did this event happen 10 billion years ago im gonna guess!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
edit on 31-3-2017 by PokeyJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Any other credible source?

edit on 31/3/2017 by vinifalou because: derp

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
so this happened 10 billion years ago? i dont know it what im saying is correct

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

I know, me too!! and the best/worst of it is, see when it happens.... we will end up waiting for something else to happen..... its in our nature

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

also how far is 10 billion years away?, this article is really badly written, so bad it could be deliberate. im guessin it means light years so did this event happen 10 billion years ago im gonna guess!

That is correct. And at that range , the universe was VERY young.So , no aliens . Perhaps a Magnetar ? Or one forming as the scope is made to pick up X-Rays ?

ETA , the universe is theorized to be only 13.82 billion years old

edit on 3/31/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp
so this happened 10 billion years ago? i dont know it what im saying is correct

a light year is the amount of time light travels in a year (crazy distance!!) so yeah it must have been 10 billion years ago. the universe is less than 14 billion years old (apparently)

So yeah...... ancient news really

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Finally! Evidence of the terrorist Empire destroying Alderaan.
Joke obviously.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick

Hey maybe star wars is based on real events, and that was the death star in action

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Davg80

If it is 10 billion ly away you must factor in dark energy. So this incident happened less than 10 billion years ago

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

yeah but i dont know if i would call them credible....
live24news.xyz...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.newsnation.in... ic-space-event-article-166545.html

Nothing on NASA site, so nothing concrete.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

wiki

It is estimated that the diameter of the observable universe is about 28.5 gigaparsecs (93 billion light-years

That would mean that the radius is 46 billion light years; so are you suggesting our telescopes can "see" 1/4 of the Universe in that direction?

What is even freakier is that the "lights" were only on for 24 hours

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

"This flaring source was a wonderful surprise bonus that we accidentally discovered in our efforts to explore the poorly understood realm of the ultra-faint X-ray universe," said Brandt. "We definitely `lucked out' with this find and now have an exciting new transient phenomenon to explore in future years."

Located in a region of the sky known as the Chandra Deep Field-South (CDF-S), the X-ray source has remarkable properties. Prior to October 2014, this source was not detected in X-rays, but then it erupted and became at least a factor of 1,000 brighter in a few hours. After about a day, the source had faded completely below the sensitivity of Chandra.

Phys.org: Mysterious cosmic explosion surprises astronomers studying the distant X-ray universe.

Here is a science source for you!

Read about this yesterday. We keep finding stranger and weirder things in space. I expect that to keep happening especially JWST is launched.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

so if its rare, what were the chances on us missing it, or seeing it for that matter.

maybe it just flashed us cause we were looking

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm not a space person but a light of that magnitude, from that distance, must have been caused by something phenomenally cataclysmic.

How often do stars collide? considering distances, I can't imagine this happens very often.

(well they said 'long long ago in a galaxy far far away...')

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Only problem with the idea of "setting something off when they are looking" is timing. 10.7 billion years is a really good guess that humans would have the tech to see what you are purposefully sending!

And the earth is what, 4.5 billion years old? The timing is not quite right for a message.

Like I said, the further we look, the more strange things we find. There was a story the other day of two galaxy colliding and one of the black holes in the center getting bounced out. Like a pool ball, it is shooting off away from the merging galaxies to wander the universe forever. It is travelling at 2,000 km per second!

Link to black hole bounce: Stray supermassive black hole flung away by gravitational waves.

There are thoughts out there, from real scientists, thinking out loud that fast radio bursts might be exhaust from alien space ships! As a matter of fact, there is a lot of talk "aliens" recently. Hum?

edit on 31-3-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

wow a runaway black hole, that is interesting, is that a known thing, or was that a first discovery, i wonder if it could ever come into contact with anything and what it would do if it did, cheers

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

wiki

It is estimated that the diameter of the observable universe is about 28.5 gigaparsecs (93 billion light-years

That would mean that the radius is 46 billion light years; so are you suggesting our telescopes can "see" 1/4 of the Universe in that direction?

What is even freakier is that the "lights" were only on for 24 hours

There are theories that it was hyper-nova, one of those early super gas giants going pop. Or maybe a super-dense star like a neutron star encountered a black hole. But only X-rays rather than gamma rays were detected (or was that due to red shift?).

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
We must go and destroy them before they destroy us.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Due to the expansion of the universe x light years away doesn't mean it happens x years ago, the further it is the larger the difference will be, up to I think about a factor of 5 for the edge of the observable universe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join