It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UN Chooses Bill Clinton as Tsunami Recovery Envoy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has chosen former U.S. President William J. Clinton as special UN envoy to handle relations with countries affected by last year's devastating tsunami in southeast Asia. Clinton is already working with former President George H.W. Bush in private fundraising efforts at the request of current U.S. President George W. Bush. The new specially created UN position may exist for up to two years.

www.nytimes.com
UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 1 - Secretary General Kofi Annan said Tuesday that he had selected former President Bill Clinton to be his special envoy for the countries affected by the tsunami in southern Asia.

"The secretary general is confident that President Clinton will bring energy, dynamism and focus to the task of sustaining world interest in the vital recovery and reconstruction phase following the tsunami disaster that hit south Asia on Dec. 26," Mr. Annan's spokesman, Fred Eckhard, said in a statement.

Mr. Clinton, in a separate statement from his New York office, said he looked forward to taking up the post once he returns from a trip to the region this month with the first President Bush.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I applaud Clinton's work on behalf of the tsunami victims, I see this as posturing to get the UN Secretary General job for himself after Kofi Annan's term is over. Several Republican lawmakers also expressed concern over the "ethically challenged" Clinton getting involved with the UN which is also under investigation for the oil-for-food scandal.

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Personally I like the guy. When 9/11 kicked off the Australian PM was stuck in Washington and President Clinton was stuck in Australia. Naturally he came to the fore to, I guess you could say, reassure the nation that while being a huge tragedy the attacks didnt consititute WW3.

He cant keep his pants done up but its not that huge a problem is it?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Good choice. Other countries like him. He could get the job
done. I just hope that he isn't doing too much too soon. Since
his heart surgery he has looked veeeeeeeeeeery tired. I hope
he does a great job and that the countries around the world
are brought together in helping the victims for many years to
come, and hope Bill Clinton is the one to do the leading at the
UN on this.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This does seem like an oppourtunity to position himself for Mr Annon's job. I hope Clinton does a better job than Annon has. I have faith in Clinton as the head of the UN if he does get the position.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Faith in Clinton?!

After all lies and denials whilst in office!!

Its jobs for the boys if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey
Faith in Clinton?!

After all lies and denials whilst in office!!

Its jobs for the boys if you ask me.

I have more faith in Clinton running the UN than I have in Bush running America

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
^^^^ I concur with that statement Kidfinger!!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

^^^^ I concur with that statement Kidfinger!!

Cool!

The way I see it is: Clinton lied and no one died. vs. Bush lied and thousands died. If you are the president, and you feel you have to be dishonest with your people, at least be dishonest about something other than war. Clinton has shown compassion and concern for many countries that really needed our help. Why do you think the world likes Clinton so much? It is because when he was asked for help, he was fair about giving it out. I feel this is the asset that is being looked at for his position as UN envoy.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I like the idea of having an American as UN Secretary General, but giving that kind of platform to Bill Clinton would be a nightmare for almost any sitting U.S. President, either Republican or Democrat. And if Hillary were to become President with Bill as UN Secretary General, that brings on a whole plethora of NWO end-times scenario problems!

[edit on 2/2/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
IMHO I dont think an American would be voted in as new UN secretary General, there would be too many objections from the likes of China, USSR and France to name just a few. It probably would be the same if say Boris Yeltsin was put forward for Secretary, objections from the US, UK etc. etc.

Kofi Annan is suitably 'neutral' and I think it would be someone similar and none threatening

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

IMHO I dont think an American would be voted in as new UN secretary General, there would be too many objections from the likes of China, USSR and France to name just a few. It probably would be the same if say Boris Yeltsin was put forward for Secretary, objections from the US, UK etc. etc.

Kofi Annan is suitably 'neutral' and I think it would be someone similar and none threatening

I have to agree with you. I think the chances of any US citizen being put in charge of the UN is slim to non-existant.

Besides Jean Chretien called dibs on that almost 4 years ago. If you think about the remarks he made right after 9-11, it's very obvious the UN is his retirement plan. It's been common knowledge for years that Chretien is after this job.

Chretien to Clinton: Get off of my cloud!

While Clinton may have the likes of Larry King as a shill, Chrétien has UN Pooh-Bah Maurice Strong squarely in his corner.

CanadaFreePress.com wrote about the Chretien-Strong `Send Jean to the UN’ campaign as front-page news on Sept. 23, 2002.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so sure that he couldn't do it. Reports say Bill has already lined up broad international support for his candidacy...

The term of Kofi Annan, the current U.N. secretary-general, ends in 2006, and, according to the report, Clinton's candidacy would receive overwhelming support from U.N. member states, particularly in the Third World
Back in February of 2003 there were reports of a "major international move" to engineer Clinton into the post. Those reports suggested Clinton had already lined up support for his candidacy for the secretary-general position from Germany, France, England, Ireland, New Zealand, a handful of African states, Morocco and Egypt.

Source: WorldNet Daily

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
OK, I'll rephrase that slightly. But only because it's you

If I felt that any US citizen could ever become Secretary General of the UN, it would be Clinton. I just don't think it would go over well with a lot of the member countries, Russia and China in particular. It would scare the crap out of them. He would constantly be accused of working for US interests, whether or not it was the case.

That being said, if Clinton could bring the world on board and make the UN the force for good it's supposed to be, all the time instead of when it just suits their purpose, more power to him.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well it looks like its gonna be Cretien vs Clinton. Personally I believe Cretien has a much better chance at getting the top job. Too bad Cretien has a bit of a corruption problem just as all politians do...Is there anyone else gunnig for this job?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I haven't heard of anyone else up for it. But that doesn't mean there aren't. At least we can count on the continuing saga of 'scandals'. Clinton can press for sexual favours, and Chretien can give all his friends money, and this time it won't come out of Canadian pockets exclusively.

I do think Chretien has a better chance out of the two, he's been preparing and politicking for over 4 years now. And just the optics of it, a Canadian would have a better chance, as opposed to the perception much of the world would have if Clinton got the job (UN=US lapdog).

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If memory serves, there's a tradition at the UN that none of the five permanent members of the security council get the secretary general position. Up to now, they've been from non-aligned or less powerful countries - Sweden, Norway, Burma, Austria, Peru, Egypt and Ghana.

Logically, the next secretary general would either be from North America (which has never had any SG) or, if they see the Americas as one continent (and Javier Perez de Cuellar, from South America, was there from 1981 to 1991), it would be Asia's turn - they haven't had one since 1971.

If it's a North American, Jean Chrétien could indeed be a candidate. Personally, I'm vying for former Mexico City mayor Cuauhtemoc Cardenas.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, Clinton lied about getting head, so that means he is evil, while Bush lies about nukes, murders, reasons for invading Iraq, so forth, but it ok, god put him in power.

Anyways, go Clinton, with Bill in UN and Mr. Clinton, I mean Mrs. Clinton, in power in the US, may be able to fix some problems, like the world pissed off at the US, #ty economy, so forth.

top topics

join