It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Associated Press issues new guidance on gender: avoid referring to ‘both’ or ‘either’ sexes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The AP urged it journalists to avoid using men and women in stories, this suggests there are only 2 sexes in the human race. What?

In a Friday email to subscribers listing updated entries for its style manual, the Associated Press is urging journalists to avoid making references in news stories that suggest there are only two sexes in the human race.
www.washingtontimes.com...

So basically avoid calling people men or women. Use they, them or their when referring to people. All this to please such a small % of people who may or may not be insulted? Odd that the AP would take this stance and inform their "journalists".

“Not all people fall under one of two categories for sex or gender, according to leading medical organizations, so avoid references to both, either or opposite sexes or genders as a way to encompass all people. When needed for clarity or in certain stories about scientific studies, alternatives include men and women, boys and girls, males and females.”
For its part, the AP advises writers that while “n most cases, a plural pronoun should agree in number with the antecedent …. when alternative wording is overly awkward and clumsy” it may be permissible to use they, them, or their to refer to an individual. “However, rewording usually is possible and always is preferable” because “[c]larity is a top priority” in news reporting and “gender-neutral use of a singular they is unfamiliar to many readers.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The PC sickness is growing!

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I'm willing to bet they will still use adjectives such as black, white, Muslim, etc, to further their clickbait and spin still.

We live in strange and eerie times.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Insanity.

Why are we coddling insanity?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

So basically avoid calling people men or women.

What on Earth are you talking about? It says right there in what you quoted:

alternatives include men and women, boys and girls, males and females

edit on 3/25/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'm majoring in communications and what I see here is just an attempt at introducing "Gender Neutral" language.

Don't get me wrong, I totally hate the whole PC thing. Ironically, in this case, the author or speaker would genuinely have to address groups of people, in a sense, using gender neutral language. It helps to avoid the whole PC ordeal as some people, nowadays, take issue with what is being said. Its actually a good tactic to avoid those PC pitfalls.

Good thread.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Please read the story.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I did read it. Did you? If you did, it seems that you did not understand it.

It does not recommend avoiding using the terms "men and women." It does not recommend avoiding using the terms "boys and girls." It recommends avoiding use of terms like "both genders."

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

“Not all people fall under one of two categories for sex or gender, according to leading medical organizations, so avoid references to both, either or opposite sexes or genders as a way to encompass all people. When needed for clarity or in certain stories about scientific studies, alternatives include men and women, boys and girls, males and females.”

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Yes. I know. I read it. And understood what it says.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Agreed, seems like a lot of to do about nothing.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Stylebook guidelines offered to AP reporters is a lot of to do? Are you an AP reporter?

It would seem that you are the one who has made a to do. Are you going to go after punctuation guidelines next?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
When human DNA shows that there are more than 2 sexes, I will start to reference more than 2 sexes.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

When human DNA shows that there are more than 2 sexes, I will start to reference more than 2 sexes.

Are you an AP reporter? Is that what the guidelines recommend?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I was referring to the fact that the AP seems to be under the impression that there are more than 2 sexes, per the story.

I have no idea what you are going on about with punctuation.

In a Friday email to subscribers listing updated entries for its style manual, the Associated Press is urging journalists to avoid making references in news stories that suggest there are only two sexes in the human race.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Are you an AP reporter? Is that what the guidelines recommend?

Are you?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I was referring to the fact that the AP seems to be under the impression that there are more than 2 sexes, per the story.
Or does it accept the fact that one's sex can actually be ambiguous (you know that, right?) and that gender identification is not necessarily associated with sex.

I have no idea what you are going on about with punctuation.
I didn't figure you would. It's subtle.

But the fact remains, this statement from the OP, is false.

So basically avoid calling people men or women.

Or can you show me where that is actually stated?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Are you?

No.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I am getting annoyed by words and by those that manipulate them.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden
Yes.
Let's use something else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join