It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Associated Press issues new guidance on gender: avoid referring to ‘both’ or ‘either’ sexes

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I did indeed discuss the thread.

Could you name the a sex other than male/female. According the the quote, not all people fall under one of the 2 (male/female) so, what is the other classification?

(post by winterwind93 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I am a man. See.

Poppycock my cat fish noodling friend, just give it up already, you're a damned AI that's loose on the net.

on a side note, I think I may steal your username for Destiny 2 when it releases later this fall.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So your point is not that the AP wanted to change the use of three words, you want to argue with their incidental explanation?

Did you think they intended that as a political statement?

Besides that fact there are people who are intersex. So technically since you want to quibble ... they're right (at least in terms of medical science).

edit on 26-3-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Link

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
I am getting annoyed by words and by those that manipulate them.
Dude.... why do even use words anymore when no one even listens.......

Proud to your matey here

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Do you think it is a small deal that a major media outlet is confused about the number of sexes?

There are male and female. Is there another sex that I am not aware of?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But since no one knows for sure in that situation what the suspect actually is, the situation does not call for it. If we have to avoid calling our suspects by their race for racial discrimination reasons, then we also have to avoid calling them by their gender because we likewise do not know what their gender preferences are and to make assumptions would be to risk offense.

Sure, we can all assume that the suspect is a black male or a white male, but you never know ... he might be feeling feminine and thus identifying as a she that day as a gender fluid individual. Also, she might be uncomfortable with the racial classification of black or white. You never know when you are dealing with a self-professed Martian or even Tiamat the dragon woman's long lost cousin. It would not do to get these things wrong and cause offense.

Sure, that really helps in catching the suspects
We should also stop amber alerts for missing children because identifying by race or gender is offensive.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So your point is not that the AP wanted to change the use of three words, you want to argue with their incidental explanation?

Did you think they intended that as a political statement?

Besides that fact there are people who are intersex. So technically since you want to quibble ... they're right (at least in terms of medical science).

]

This is nothing more than an attempt by liberals to redefine gender/sex because of their easily hurt feelings.

There are mutants out there, that doesn't mean that there are more than two sexes. If a few people each year are born with a tail, does the definition of human need to be: "A bipedal with or without a tail"? No.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
It's confusing .
Can somebody provide example sentences on the wrong and right ways?

soon we will not be allowed to say we are female / male.
Olympic rules will change.
All the greeting cards "congratulations on your baby boy" will be a thing of the past because that little boy might have been born with gender issues and it's wrong to label him as soon as he's born.

All steroid use and anything else that is now illegal must ALSO be amended, it is flat out discrimination to tell people what or how they can use their bodies.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Here comes phage to the rescue, defending every liberal agenda issue that presents itself on ATS as he always has, since march 2016.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

pc is really starting to piss me off.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
The AP urged it journalists to avoid using men and women in stories, this suggests there are only 2 sexes in the human race. What?

In a Friday email to subscribers listing updated entries for its style manual, the Associated Press is urging journalists to avoid making references in news stories that suggest there are only two sexes in the human race.
www.washingtontimes.com...

So basically avoid calling people men or women. Use they, them or their when referring to people. All this to please such a small % of people who may or may not be insulted? Odd that the AP would take this stance and inform their "journalists".

“Not all people fall under one of two categories for sex or gender, according to leading medical organizations, so avoid references to both, either or opposite sexes or genders as a way to encompass all people. When needed for clarity or in certain stories about scientific studies, alternatives include men and women, boys and girls, males and females.”
For its part, the AP advises writers that while “n most cases, a plural pronoun should agree in number with the antecedent …. when alternative wording is overly awkward and clumsy” it may be permissible to use they, them, or their to refer to an individual. “However, rewording usually is possible and always is preferable” because “[c]larity is a top priority” in news reporting and “gender-neutral use of a singular they is unfamiliar to many readers.

I've said it before - be whatever you like, people. But can't we be a bit sensible and pick one of the two existing genders? There isn't enough money on this planet to convince me to bother trying to learn the 38 different genders that seem to have popped up.

Man. Woman. Pick one. Feel free to flip-flop between those two genders many times per year or even week.

Just pick one. Stop this madness - before we end up with as many sexes as there are people.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join