It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should comments about the original poster be considered off-topic?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
There are certain forums on this site where I can't post a thread without posters commenting on me personally. I can understand it in the Relationships forum, the Rant forum, and the Members forum to an extent, but that usually doesn't make it any easier to take.

I believe almost all posts that ignore the message in the original post and only focus on the original poster are off-topic posts. The original poster is almost never the topic of the thread.

In my view, the original poster is irrelevant except in extreme cases. For example, if a poster is posting a thread about a personal tragedy or achievement, the poster is intertwined with the subject of the thread.

I can't imagine how threads in the WW3 forum could have lots of posts only commenting on the original poster and their views. I was accused of spamming that forum once by several posters.

Thankfully, none of the posters who criticized me for posting in the WW3 forum were moderators. What I had were self-appointed fake moderators following me around trying to impose their style of 'moderating' on my threads.

I believe that's the case for about 99% of threads.
edit on 25-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
There are certain forums on this site where I can't post a thread without posters commenting on me personally. I can understand it in the Relationships forum, the Rant forum, and the Members forum to an extent, but that usually doesn't make it any easier to take.

I believe almost all posts that ignore the message in the original post and only focus on the original poster are off-topic posts. The original poster is almost never the topic of the thread.

I believe the original poster is irrelevant except in extreme cases. For example, if a poster is posting a thread about a personal tragedy or achievement, the poster is intertwined with the subject of the thread.

I can't imagine how threads in the WW3 forum could have lots of posts only commenting on the original poster and their views. I was accused of spamming that forum once by several posters.

Thankfully, none of the posters who criticized me for posting in the WW3 forum were moderators. What I had were self-appointed fake moderators following me around trying to impose their style of 'moderating' on my threads.

Then dont give them causation....

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Were you trying to be ironic?

I'm not letting the self-appointed fake moderators or those who seem to be obsessed with me win.
edit on 25-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Profusion

I believe the original poster is irrelevant except in extreme cases. For example, if a poster is posting a thread about a personal tragedy or achievement, the poster is intertwined with the subject of the thread.

Naughty.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I hear you bud. I see it a lot too. That's why I rarely create threads.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

You wear your heart on your sleeve (aka: what you see is what you get) and you talk about your relationships alot, expressing your feelings as you go. Of course, there is absolutely nothing negative about rolling like that because you manifest as the genuine article.

You also open yourself up to extra-over criticism when asking ATS folk to comment on various encounters you have had, and how you have fared in those encounters and whether or not things could be different...etc.

I think the Mods are very good at determining what constitutes a breach in T&C's vis-a-vis talking about other members. Augustusmasonicus's thread about the 3 idiots is an example of no breach because those named, clearly consented and also those that know AM, know the thread was going to be a fun and good one which generally allows members to unwind and take-the-piss out of each other in a relaxed atmosphere, because that's what mates do.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Personally I consider all personal comments and attacks as off topic for the most part. On this site you do need thick skin at times with some topics. Personal attacks is one common tacit for the disinformation agents that promote ridicule, confusion, fear and ignorance.

When looking at the bigger picture, take it as a badge of honour as you do draw the slime out of its cave and into the light when that is the best argument they have. Something in the post has trigged them, so well done. These are generally people trapped in their own lies with the hate more of a reflection of their own thought processes. I know it is hard not to take it personal at times, if it does work you up then it is usually not to hard to counter their weak assessments.

With some of the entrenched sociopaths, then not even engaging there discourse is also an option. As someone trying to deny my ignorance, unfortunately there is a bit of dirt to dig through at times.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The vast majority of your threads (of late) are about you and your romantic misadventures.

What do you expect?

I'm starting to think you're just putting us on.
edit on 3/25/17 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Mainly. Except for mud pit. And even that has restrictions , one shold not comment on the original poster personally

edit on 25-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

It's really not up to you. If in the proper forum, you can't go after the op personally.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Then there would be no comments allowed in the thread at all.

Again, the threads are about the OP's personal life. Are we supposed to talk about the weather?

That would be off-topic.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Thank you Profusion for your posts that I think provide a medium hold down for all of us. They are there, they may be of interest at times by 50% of the membership, even if they don't reply.

The ones that insult you...I think they are complete idiots.

I will be happy to call them that in any future thread you make.
edit on 25-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Maybe you two should go out for dinner sometime.

I mean, if you really wanna help.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

You are one to personally go after the op. So I
Don't expect you to understand the problem.

(post by reldra removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Ohhh, c'mon. What kind of PC nonsense is this?

Man up, my friend. We all have to deal with criticism and rudeness. It's fun.

ATS would not be worth bothering with if we have it your way.

Don't destroy the fun. Don't poop the party.

edit on 25-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

(post by reldra removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I believe off-topic is something non related to the topic at hand, if your personal life plays a role in the topic
its not off-topic

Logical ?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
How did that feel?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   

It is one thing to be personal in a thread and say something such as, "I believe," and put some meat on that point. --I do that frequently. It is another thing when the thread is about "ME, ME, ME and my woes in my personal life." That is putting yourself out there in the best practice of victimhood. It is a "take your best shot at my life," request. It is the sub-alpha puppy exposing its belly to the dominant.

Out here in ATS land the onlookers shake there heads and wonder aloud, "Why would anybody do that?" So they respond unkindly....
edit on 25-3-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join