It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should comments about the original poster be considered off-topic?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: NthOther

You are one to personally go after the op. So I
Don't expect you to understand the problem.

And yet my posts are rarely removed.

I wonder why.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Thank you Profusion for your posts that I think provide a medium hold down for all of us. They are there, they may be of interest at times by 50% of the membership, even if they don't reply.

The ones that insult you...I think they are complete idiots.

I will be happy to call them that in any future thread you make.

That's one of the nicest things anyone on this forum has written to me. Thank you very much. You made my day.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Profusion

I hear you bud. I see it a lot too. That's why I rarely create threads.

Ditto...

I also understand why people attack the messenger. An attempt to derail the thread by tempting people to devolve into personal attacks.

Just ignore it...

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
but you often comment on others or situations in your life, ask for advice... You reap what you sow...
Although, it´s uncalled for in the non relationship forums, that is correct.
edit on 25-3-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I think that really depends on the thread itself, and what the initiating factor behind the thread is. For example, if you post something in the relationships forum, then it is very likely, not to mention valid, that someone will comment on the matter of you, because relationships are not single faceted things, the behaviour and mentality of both parties play into the ultimate success or otherwise of the endeavour.

If someone posts a thread which attacks a minority group, then it is necessary to get to the bottom of why a person would want to make that attack, especially if, as with nearly every such example, the threads basis is so utterly flawed that responding to the subject matter raised is actually impossible, not because the argument made is sound, but because there are no facts to examine, no truth to cling to as a basis for discussion. At this point, the mentality of the poster themselves has to be examined, in order to find the actual source of their discomfort, which is next door to never the group that they are complaining about.

If, however, the subject matter is rather more dry, involving technical data, scientific concepts, and is not marred by the OP's personal opinions in such a way as to present a logical fallacy which overrides the subject matter, or makes discussion of the topic impossible given the misapprehension the OP may be operating under, then the discussion can go ahead, without necessitating a query about the OP themselves.

For example, if someone creates a thread whose title is "The Climate Is Changing. What Are We Going To Do About It?", this states a simple truth, and asks a simple, non-partisan question about how pro-active people are prepared to be. Note, the title makes no mention of the causes of climate change, does not even suggest anthropogenic origins of the trend, merely acknowledges that the trend exists, and asks a reasonable question stemming from it. To attack the OP there would be idiotic, because it is clear that the OP has no interest in partisan debate, but does want a practical discussion, a technical run down of what members think we ought to be doing, with regard to sea wall defence and flood defence besides, long term programs which will save lives, property and territory from being overwhelmed by water, prevention and mitigation of increasingly dangerous forest and wildfires, changes to the frequency and strength of tornado activity, hurricanes, general changes in average temperatures for the given seasons, the blurring lines between the seasons and how these will affect agriculture...

These are not issues to be taken personally, but are practical in origin, therefore must be dealt with practically.

Sometimes though, the mental origin of an opening post, has to be examined in order for a proper understanding of the factors which lead to its publication, can be had by all parties concerned, which will improve the effectiveness of communication on both the part of the threads author and the participants in the discussion which issues from that OP.

The crucial thing therefore, is to author threads which deal with information which has no bias, creates no division and forces absolutely no one to question ones motivation, meaning, or the location and form of the spark of mind which lead to its being authored in the first place.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Augustusmasonicus's thread about the 3 idiots is an example of no breach because those named, clearly consented and also those that know AM, know the thread was going to be a fun and good one which generally allows members to unwind and take-the-piss out of each other in a relaxed atmosphere, because that's what mates do.

Wait. What? Are you saying that we're not serious in there?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Anybody can join ATS, anyone from a juvenile to someone on death's door. And over the decades of life, philosophical propagandas embraced. The youth have an electronic artificial world that us older people have only recently acquired.

Profusion... rest assured there are a plethora of people who follow your posts and think along your same lines.
I am one.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

My advice I keep trying to give you in all your threads;

Focus on you and find yourself and the rest will fall in place. Once you are content and understand who you truly are and what you stand for, that's the greatest impenetrable armor you can have. It's very simple, look for yourself instead of other things, and the right things will find you.

Good luck man

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

anthropogenic

TB you are the gift that keeps on giving .
edit on 25-3-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

"Should comments about the original poster be considered off-topic?"

If the topic is a story and the OP professes an opinion, then how could the OP NOT be a subject of discussion?

Many topics are the opinions of the story and not the story itself.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I am glad that you continue to appreciate my efforts hutch622.

If there is something I can do to increase the average number of syllables on a page, even a little bit, you know I am not going to shirk that responsibility!

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Keep up the good work , it's all good fun .

One day minstrels will sing songs about your posts .
edit on 25-3-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

They already do in Rendelsham.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Keep up the good work , it's all good fun .

One day minstrels will sing songs about your posts .

Brave Sir Brit.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Thank you Profusion for your posts that I think provide a medium hold down for all of us. They are there, they may be of interest at times by 50% of the membership, even if they don't reply.

The ones that insult you...I think they are complete idiots.

I will be happy to call them that in any future thread you make.

Soooo.... you are going to talk about and call other members names....for the wrong doing of, talking about the OP in a thread? Gotcha.

[insert favorite facepam pic here]

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

originally posted by: Gothmog
Then dont give them causation....

Were you trying to be ironic?

I'm not letting the self-appointed fake moderators or those who seem to be obsessed with me win.

Consider it a compliment. I treasure my stalkers, even though they are usually very uncomplimentary, rude and insulting, at least they are paying attention to my ideas, thoughts and brilliant commentary on American culture. I know they hate me but I still consider them my "fans"...lol

edit on 25-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Ooooh! Really?

Sing song in the woods? I shall have to pay a visit, see if I can join a drum circle or something!

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I like your posts.

Nothing written on a screen matters to your real life.

There isn't anything anyone could type that I take personal.

How can it be personal, they don't know you.

Oh, and grow a way thicker skin.

It helps...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join