It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st (taxpayer-funded ) sex reassignment inmate says women's prison is 'torture'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
The state of California does not owe this person or any other inmate a damned thing except a clean safe place to serve their time with the basic care required for food, health, and hygene to not die while serving it. The gender one wants to be or feels like they are; is not a sickness... so how is The State of California responsible? The transgendered will tell you it is not a sickness that it is who they are; so it stands to reason that such a thing is not Californias responsibility seeing how it is not a sickness to be treated.

I've tried to stay out of this because it is a very polarizing subject and I don't want to make some people angrier than they already are about this but I would like to politely add some additional information for consideration.

There is a backstory to having this inmate's sex reassignment surgery (SRS) covered by the State of California. In April of 2015, Michelle-Lael Norsworthy was granted an injunction from a federal judge ordering the department of corrections to provide SRS as a medically recognized necessity for the treatment of severe gender dysphoria. After winning this injunction, rather than provide Norsworthy with the needed surgery, they paroled her instead as a way of getting out of it.

More can be read about this precedent setting case here:

Calif ornia prison ordered to grant inmate’s sex change surgery
Transgender Prisoners Deserve Surgery

As to the above poster's semantics and word play with the word "sickness", In the DSM-5, published by the American Psychiatric Association, gender dysphoria is not classified as a mental disorder however, that does not mean that it isn't a problem that most often requires medical intervention to resolve.

As the American Medical Association (AMA) noted as early as 2008, “An established body of medical research demonstrates the effectiveness and medical necessity of mental health care, hormone therapy, and sex reassignment surgery as forms of therapeutic treatment for many people diagnosed with GID (deprecated term) Gender Dysphoria.”

Keep in mind also, very few transgender people undergo SRS. A 2015 survey of 28,000 trans respondents showed that only an average of 11% have done so, so it's not like there's going to be a rush of people to get incarcerated just to have their surgery paid for which averages around $20K in the U.S.

Another thing to consider is having severe gender dysphoria unquestionably can be life threatening and is deserving of the same opportunity for treatment as any health problem. You (or we) may agree this person is scum but that doesn't mean incarceration should equate to torture regardless of the crime they committed.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: seasonal

You would think if they spent all that money to make him a her, they would give her a razor to shave her face. Now they can spend more money on another lawsuit rather than $8 on a razor. That's government for ya.

Because giving inmates access to sharp items always works out well.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

You're right! You should've kept your text/mouth shut. Because, you added no value to the OP. .. Just a "emotional" context, which adds nothing, unless you're a girl? And that, alone, is even an insignificant contribution....I'll never understand, why a mentally ill man would want to be a girl. But at the same time? I have no "feelings/or emotion" for their insanity. ..If only,.. "abortional" suicide was legal..and I had a
"Legal" nightgown/black robe and wig to validate my "legal" opinion. ...god damn! Men would be men!...

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'd say a sharp knife and some time alone. Could do the tax payers some good... I'm not personally sure, how that math fails you. Or? Why it would even matter....

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well, at least she isnt in a mens prison being used as a party favor... waaaaaait. Maybe thats the goal.. back to mens prison and be in high demand! Get all the ciggs you can smoke!! Oh waaaaait.. you cant smoke in prison anymore. Bastards!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join