It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Oil Painters Out There?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm studying for a new piece and was curious about anyone's technique via the under painting? I am working on particularly some really shiny and gel like subject material. For my base sketch I used conte crayon on gessoed un-stretched canvas. I am painting with Windsor Newton Oil paints and standard thinner for oils. I seem to be having some trouble mixing the right colors when using extremely thin layers. The effect I am studying is translucence on a coagulated gel like subject (it is a still life)

Any personal insight? I would love to hear what you all got to say about it.

B-man

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

The thinner the layer, the faster it will dry. Which is good because then you can paint right over without having to wait forever.

One essential tip I learned in color theory... if you're painting a tree and it's green, brown, and orange... if you mix one color consistently with each other then it will produce a really united feeling piece. For example mix a dab of blue into the green, brown, and orange that you will be using... and voila. Only a dab tho, clearly. It won't look all blue but it's just enough... Or you can choose one of the colors you're already using, like if you mix green with the brown and the orange... the final look will be more unified, it will feel good.

As for the underpainting, I've seen people use all one color. I haven't tried that yet though. In my oil painting experiences... there's more like 10+ layers. The first one is kinda foggy, and with each layer... it becomes more defined, and solid, and vibrant.

Watching speed painting vids is cool and can give some tips too.

Hope this helps.

Love,
Lou.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Im not really into you tube vids lol experience is the best teacher. I'm not exactly new to this but I am looking into trying new things before I used to do alot of ala prima and sketch in color with the brush, this time around I sketched using a conte crayon and fixed it to the canvas and am kind of just effin around trying to learn a bit about translucence. Maybe Ill post a pic in a bit. And thank you for the tip =D now lets guzzle some beer together whilst we create stuff

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I see. ATS is ok but YouTube is not...

JK!

I however am not ashamed to learn from any and all resources made available to me (not saying you're not though lol). Sometimes I might feel a little discouraged because there are so many amazing and talented artists out there, and I might even feel a little envious... but mostly I become inspired and just want to do more and see if I can do what my heros are doing in art and etc. So I actually enjoy all arts and crafts videos and stuff. I love the 30 second ones on Facebook even, lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Id rather read kind of a preference i guess

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21967625]geezlouise]

edit on 3-3-2017 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

That looks delicious!!!! Yummy.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I don't think it looks like much of anything yet to be honest

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I've done underpaintings, but I don't do them in the traditional sense anymore.

But I've been remembering the impressionist I studied with briefly since he just passed, and I just saw one of his best works at a great pizza place here. Anyways, he always taught me to just use white and burnt umber, and a touch of prussian blue if you want extra dark contrasts. Then you are only focusing on the value of the piece, meaning highlights and darks, and do minimal blending.

Then when it's cured a little you come back with color, cure more, then highlights and last edging. At least that's how I would tackle a realist still life of a piece of pie

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

I thank you brother, You motivate me!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

I don't think it looks like much of anything yet to be honest

I like it. I would frame it and hang it in my dining room.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I went from 2D to Film. My composition training from painting, drawing, printmaking is invaluable in giving my new media choice, a look most filmmakers ignore.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Its not done yet, I am still actively painting it =D I will post progress when I get to the next level on it and I will U2U you.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I always need perspective in my life, thanks for reminding me!!!

top topics

join