It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's discuss the off-duty officer who pulled a gun on kids recently.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Also, the guy was trespassing along with the group of kids on his neighbors property... Double standard/hypocrisy going un noticed. C

Haha touché
edit on 24-2-2017 by HushedNoLonger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: HushedNoLonger

He physically held the child. Some would say criminal confinement. He was off duty. A civilian with no power to enforce justice. The kid was dragged around for 10 minutes over walking thru grass? And then pulls a gun and is so incompetent to let it discharge, endangering everyone there. In every way the off duty was in the wrong.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

I agree he was in the wrong in HOW he handled it. He does have the RIGHT to protect himself and his property. The teens are also in the wrong for violating this mans rights and for trespassing, which depending on state law IS a crime. I never said the officer should not face what he did wrong. I did however point out that these kids need to learn a lesson in maturity and respect as well. Are you implying they should not face any discipline for their behaviour? Repeated behaviour?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Even though officialy off-duty, the officer was still obligated to intervene in any criminal activity he witnessed.

The officer was within his right to detain the hoodlum. The gang of thugs had no right to assault the officer.

The officer was in immediate physical jeopoardy from the attackers and fired a warning shot to scare off the thugs before it escalated to where he had no choice but to use lethal force.

Case closed.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

Food for thought...

www.justia.com...

Criminal Law 3475. Right to Eject Trespasser From Real Property

The (owner/lawful occupant) of a (home/property) may request that a trespasser leave the (home/property). If the trespasser does not leave within a reasonable time and it would appear to a reasonable person that the trespasser poses a threat to (the (home/property)/ [or] the (owner/ [or] occupants), the (owner/ lawful occupant) may use reasonable force to make the trespasser leave.

If the trespasser resists, the (owner/lawful occupant) may increase the amount of force he or she uses in proportion to the force used by the trespasser and the threat the trespasser poses to the property.]

www.lawenforcement.com...

A licensed law enforcement officer is authorized to perform their duties even when they’re off duty.

Many law enforcement departments require that off-duty law enforcement officers carry a firearm even when they’re off the job in case they run into a situation where they must intervene with force.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

So this says walking across someone's lawn would not be cause for a citizen's arrest, the off duty officer crossed several lawns to apprehend the kid and dragged him back on to his property. The kid was not on the off duty officers lawn long enough to constitute trespassing.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

What about repeat offenders?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

no trespassing laws were broken as they were merely walking across his lawn and would be difficult to prove that it was the same teenager that walked across his lawn before. if he had a problem with kids walking across his lawn he should have called the local police department and filed a complaint as he obviously can't sit there and make citizens arrests on every teenager that walks across his lawn. perhaps you would rather him be able to sit on his porch in his rocking chair with a shotgun in case anyone dare walk across his lawn?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

From OP's link....

Police said a confrontation stemmed from ongoing issues with children walking across the officer's property.

You said...

they were merely walking across his lawn

Again, from OP's link...

According to Quezada, two juveniles knocked the officer to the ground during some point in the altercation

The 13-year-old boy was arrested and booked at Orange County Juvenile Hall for criminal threats and battery. He was later released. A 15-year-old boy was also arrested for assault and battery and was released to his parents.

Merely walking across his lawn? Is that what they were doing? Hmm!

Quezada said there was "clear and compelling evidence" to support the arrests of the two teens. Regarding the off-duty officer, the chief said there was insufficient evidence at the time to prove the officer's actions rose to the level of a criminal act.

Have you looked into this or just watched the edited video and drawn your own conclusions?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk...

During the melee with the teens - which was caught on video - the officer 'was bleeding and took a serious blow to the head that made him dizzy and almost caused him to pass out,

'What led to the incident in the first place was one of the teens said to him, "I'm going to shoot you." That's why he grabbed that boy, intending to detain him until local police arrived

Moments later in the clip, another boy charges the off-duty cop and knocks him over in an attempt to free his friend

He told police he feared for his life and believed the teen was going to shoot him

Yup you're right sure sounds like they were merely walking across his lawn.
IMHO the only reason these kids were even there was to harass this man BECAUSE he is a cop. The complete lack of respect for LEOs across America right now is rediculous. We are showing our youth not to respect the law and especially not to respect LEOs. Yes, I am aware of the cases of power trip trigger happy officers that were clearly in the wrong. That does not mean they all are, and yet how many hashtags and rally cries have there been calling for violence on LEOs just because they're LEOs. That's what we are teaching our kids! This officer was minding his own business, living his life, supporting his elderly parents, and has a clean record. The man has never even fired his weapon in the line of duty! He was obviously threatened and provoked to behave the way he did. The video is only part of the story... an edited part of the story. Read between the lines people!

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Id love to see this clear and compelling evidence.

Cause from what i can tell is its a he said, she said thing with zero proof the kid issued the threat of shoot. But there are multiple witnessess stating the kid said sue.

But leos and courts will protect their own even when the cop is the one commiting the crime. The courts and the police being internally corrupt and in cahoots is well known by trial lawyers who have to defend against the cops.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I'm sorry, for clarity, exactly what crime do you believe the officer committed?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Your own citation points out the degrees that an individual may escalate a situation to REMOVE someone from their property. It says nothing about forcefully detaining minors at gun point while perpetrating an "accidental" discharge. Unused quotes because there really isn't any such thing as an accidental discharge. They are all the result of someone's finger pulling a trigger. This one just happened to be that it was piss poor handling of that weapon.

Sorry, but if LEO's are going to enforce laws on us, they need to not just follow those same laws but also be held to a higher standard if they expect to maintain the publica trust. This off duty officer screwed up by letting his emotions get the better of him and neglecting to call it in.

If you or I, as private citizens, ever forcefully restrained someone at gun point over a trespassing charge and there was a discharge of the weapon, we would be facing charges including kidnapping and illegal dish art of a firearm within city limits.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

My citation also points out that he is obligated to in force the law even while off duty. That minor was being held after allegedly assaulting and threatening an officer. The gun was pointed at the ground meant as a warning shot. In the video as he is pulling the kid over the shrub he is clearly out numbered, a teen is seen approaching from behind the officer reaching for something in his back pocket, what? That's unclear. When you are outnumbered have been hit in the head hard enough to nearly black out and are bleeding as a result, I'm sure "sue" and "shoot" sound similar. What was actually said? That is also unclear. Of course multiple witnesses heard him say "sue" there were what? 10 teens surrounding this guy? These teens were looking for trouble and boy did they find it! Read all of my previous posts, I never said they should let this officer go without discipline at all, I clearly said he needs to face what happened. What I also said multiple times, that people seem to keep missing, is that these teens are ALSO in the wrong. They need to face that TOO! There is absolutely no way these teens were sweet innocent children skipping home from school tra lala...when a crazy deranged trigger happy officer started popping off shots. Which is exactly how some are interpreting this video.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Are we sure the teens were on his lawn and not public easement. The city usually owns around 3 feet past the curb.

That officer was being a bully confronting teenagers like that. That off duty cop should be charged with negligent discharge of a firearm.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

There is a back story involved. Until the investigation is complete we won't know all the details. The officer claims this was an ongoing thing. These teens in increasing numbers were allegedly trespassing again and again after being asked to leave. There are claims that he did report it more than once. Without access to Anaheim police records can I prove this? Of course not! The WHOLE story has not been released and won't be until the investigation is complete. What we are seeing in the video is a snippet at the end of an ongoing dispute that no doubt ended badly (thankfully it wasn't worse). For some, that's all that is needed, case closed.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Well multiple kids ended up getting arrested, and that was after that off-duty cop (who couldn't control himself or do the right thing and call the ON-Duty police to handle it) technically kidnapped and left marks on the kids, and scared the hell out of them by discharging his weapon (whether on purpose or not) - I DO know he pulled out his gun, on purpose. And he was off-duty, and did not act like a well-trained police officer or an adult in general.

I even said the kids were wrong for doing what they did. They DID suffer consequences, that is apparent.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So your saying he meant to shoot.."warning shot"..even worse for this dumbass.
And allegedly assaulting the officer..that's why the police have less and less credibility these day's.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Are you sure you want to use the word kidnapped? Is that what happened?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Gee...I'm gald I don't have TV. This is the first I heard of this...

...And I don't frickin care...

...Latka sez "Nebballamind"..

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join