It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cascadia ETS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Cascadia ETS

The Episodic tremor and slip (ETS) events are characterized by non-earthquake seismic tremor, or and a slow slip along a plate.

Cascadia Subduction Zone:

The next 14-month Magnitude 6+ slow earthquake (Episodic Tremor and Slip) event is expected after a quiet period in Cascadia... or has it been that quiet.. (Winter 2017-blog following this by the PNSN )

Blog's latest update:

Feb 21, 2017 - I am thinking that the ETS has started. Five days with from 5 to 17 hours each day with moderate to strong tremor in the area directly west of Seattle seems to be a pretty good sign of it starting. There also looks to be a hint of a slight migration up-dip and to the north, which is typical of an ETS event. This seems to be pretty close to right on schedule as well, ~14 months since the last one started for this section on Dec. 22, 2015 . Thus I am calling this ETS to have started. Of course, to spite me the tremor gods will probably stop in now. More will be posted here as it develops.

Tremor throughout Cascadia seems to have been relatively quiet over the past four months; only 5,600 tremor locations from the wech-o-meter compared to an average of 15,300 for the six previous four month periods.

In which the past year has been quite compared to prior years.

Tremor:
·Western Washington tremors listed as shared in the blog

Year Tremor locations
    2010 40,000
    2011 42,000
    2012 53,000
    2013 49,000
    2014 56,000
    2015 48,000
    2016 28,000

PNSN

More on Episodic Tremor and Slips

During an ETS relative plate motion occurs within a transition region of a subducting lithospheric plate. This transition delineates an area between the upper-locked and lower-slipping interface of a subduction zone. Stress between these two colliding plates builds since differential movement between the two zones is not entirely compensated from ETS displacement. Quick slip across the upper locked portion of a subduction zone occurs in large megathrust earthquakes when accumulated stresses surpass the upper region's locking threshold.

geodesy

References:
·ETS - Wiki
  • PDFs- ·Princeton ·usarray

This isn't meant to be sensational, but rather sharing a recent finding that may affect the region. Albeit always good to be prepared for any natural disaster or otherwise. Posting this as is for more info, collaboration more and for those who want to look more into this.
    edit on 22-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

• posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:44 PM
    link   
    There is anecdotal evidence that excessive smug can trigger tectonic movement. Portland/Seattle/Vancouver all have severe smug problems... I was in Seattle 2 years ago, and the suburban smug problem was epic.

Just sayin
    edit on 22-2-2017 by madmac5150 because: my cat corrected my porr spelling. I hate that kat

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:10 PM
    link   
    Just had a 4.2 mag 8 mins ago-Belfair,WA. Shaking wasn't too bad here outside of that area.

Source
    edit on 22-2-2017 by dreamingawake because: link

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:10 PM
    link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
    There is anecdotal evidence that excessive smug can trigger tectonic movement. Portland/Seattle/Vancouver all have severe smug problems... I was in Seattle 2 years ago, and the suburban smug problem was epic.

Just sayin

Outside of the "freeze" and "Portlandia" to the south there's a lot more going on.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:29 PM
    link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Just sayin

Outside of the "freeze" and "Portlandia" to the south there's a lot more going on.

True that

I lived in Olympia for a few years; if you live there, you are aware of the lahar evac routes, tsunami evac routes... etc. I can't even imagine a 9+ Cascadia quake... I LOVE Seattle... but I do NOT want to be there when a Cascadia megathrust quake happens...
    edit on 22-2-2017 by madmac5150 because: my cat corrected my porr spelling. I hate that kat

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:29 PM
    link   

Just sayin

edit on 22-2-2017 by madmac5150 because: duplicate post

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:43 PM
    link   

Just sayin

True that

I lived in Olympia for a few years; if you live there, you are aware of the lahar evac routes, tsunami evac routes... etc. I can't even imagine a 9+ Cascadia quake... I LOVE Seattle... but I do NOT want to be there when a Cascadia megathrust quake happens...

I currently live in downtown Seattle, and I'm on the wrong side of the I5 if a mega quake does in fact happen. I live in Lower Queen Anne (right by Key Arena) and the infrastructure within the city just terrifies me when I think of the big quake hitting... The viaduct will pancake down, many of the buildings aren't up to code for a quake like a 9.0, all the bridges are showing their age bad and would likely crumble down in a quake.. a quake in the region or Mt. Rainier blowing its lid?? Man, I tell you, there's a lot of terrifying possible natural disasters just lurking...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:09 AM
    link   

Just sayin

True that

I lived in Olympia for a few years; if you live there, you are aware of the lahar evac routes, etc. I can't even imagine a 9+ Cascadia quake... I LOVE Seattle... but I do NOT want to be there when a Cascadia megathrust quake happens...

Exactly being in that route area one might even be on higher alert no doubt. Helps to be aware, if not only simple prepping, liquification zones, as mentions the lahar areas, tsunami routes, and more. In hopes the tremors really are releasing the pending doom.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:29 AM
    link   

Just had a 4.2 mag 8 mins ago-Belfair,WA. Shaking wasn't too bad here outside of that area.

Source

Quickshake

Aftershocks have been happening. In case more activity is coming soon: ShakeOut

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:00 PM
    link   
    Link to Tremor Map (had problems trying to ad the direct link under the "Tremor:·Western Washington tremors listed as shared in the blog" section) - See here

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:22 PM
    link   
    Thread with cbc.ca article with additional info - www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join