It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God pray?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I imagine one might think at the suggestion, "What a stupid thing to ask."

My reason for asking is simple, though, and I assure you born out of logical thinking if you will hear me out.

Jesus institute's a universal prayer of sorts in the form of: "Our Father, who is in Heaven, Holy be your name. Until Kingdom come, Your will be done, as in heaven so on earth...."

Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us, and don't lead us into temptation.

My own wording, but no difference, if it makes a difference I am sure you have a Bible and know the prayer, that's how I say it though.

My point is, it is hardly the only time Jesus prays to his Father in Heaven. He asked for his burden to be removed, every time he healed someone or performed any miracle it was through the power he had by being in direct 2 way communication with God. But God was the final authority on all things, Jesus power came from God.

Which explains why he obeyed God and prayed and never once did he do his own will alone without permission. He didn't want to be crucified, regretted it even thinking he was forsaken at the point of death, his final words were "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Showing a lack of Omniscience.

Let me wrap this up and get to my point.

If you happen to believe Jesus is the Messiah and Son of God in addition to God (the Jesus Trinity? "In the name of the Christ, Son of God and who is God, amen." Kidding. He has more titles and attributes than the Kabbalistic Sefira on its Tree of Life model to be honest)...

Sorry. If you believe Jesus is God, that would mean you believe God prays. To God. Unless Jesus was not God YET, and was "promoted(?)" from Messiah to Son to full blown God, spiritually progressing along the Way.

In either case I have a question:

Who does God the Father pray to?

The Holy Spirit?

I am seriously curious and not at all trying to mock, aside from a joke or two in good fun.

I would love to hear a logical resolution to my quasi-dilemma of trying to determine who the other two God of the Trinity prays to.

(Interesting side note, I used singular God because of the Monotheistic beliefs of Christians who refer to Elohim, literally "Gods" in Hebrew and Ugaritic, as "God". While Elohim actually is called a "plural of Majesty" and said to refer to the One God of Israel most times it is used,( theologically this is true)... Christianity has a belief in 3 God(s), quite literally, F, S, & H.S., they only call the Trinity "God" even if referring to all three of the members. One God is called many, 3 God(s) is called one...very interesting coincidence, few legitimate coincidences as profound exist)

But yeah...

Who does God pray to? Does Father pray to Son? Receive from Son miraculous powers? Does the Holy Spirit pray to Jesus, Her Son?

Jesus calls the Holy Spirit his Mother in the Hebrew Gospel original translated by Augustine. Something about taking him to a Mt. I think is called "Tabor." It is said because of Spirit being fem. in Hebrew this is the reason the Spirit is called "Mother" but is this true with ''Father" too? Meaning metaphorical, not literal "Father" due to the masculinity of "El" or "God" in Hebrew?

Actually, Elohim is masculo-feminine. El+Eloah. Elohim are also the "Host of Heaven" or "Sons of El." In Canaanite religion "Sons of El and Athirat/Asherah."

It was not uncommon for lesser gods to recite hymns to the High Gods. Prayers to God from gods was normal almost in any polytheistic culture I can think of. Baal pleaded with Asherah who interceded with El and Yamm's fate was sealed, Baal Elyon was the God of Canaan even if he had to answer (hypothetically) to El the actual King of the Pantheon, Mighty El, the Bull.

So it is not outrageous or anything if a god prays to a god, especially his/hers Parent God.

Sophia prayed to the All in the realm of the Light and She was the Creator God (different than demiurge) of the "Gnostics" and other than her consort Christ/Logos and the Great Inneffable Spirit, She was the most important and revered God(ess) they had.

Sophia is the equivalent of the Holy Spirit in Gnostic Scripture and prays, repents for creating without the blessing of the Great God or her consort, and produced imperfection and an unnatural Spirit. Hid it on earth and a great deal of mythology develops from there.

But that is not monotheistic or Orthodox Christian, though Christian indeed.

Does the God of the Bible pray?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
When god looks at me he shakes his head and prays that nobody else will turn out like me.
edit on 12-2-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
When god looks at me he shakes his head and prays that nobody else will turn out like me.

That's a good one. I actually L'd o L.

But I wonder to whom?

Does he shake his head up and down or left and right? I don't think it is a planetary constant to go horizontal for no, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Praying is a form of meditation, so why not. Relaxing looking over all of his creations.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: irenialilivenka

To WHO? And for what and to what end? I think God speaks and sends wishes and blessings.... But praying?

As the SOURCE of all and whom prayed TO? No... that's silly....and pointless

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

To WHO? And for what and to what end? I think God speaks and sends wishes and blessings.... But praying?

To who, yes, that's MY question.

If you believe Jesus is God that is, which means God prays, so to who does the Father, being "equal" with the son, pray to?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You are faithing yourselves into an even deeper hole than you know what to do with.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

You are faithing yourselves into an even deeper hole than you know what to do with.

Am I?

No. I'm not "faithing" #1

Nor am I in "a hole" deep or otherwise.

But I am being philosophically critical.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

To say asking philosophically relevant questions is silly....And pointless, is silly....and lacks intelligence...And purpose.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: irenialilivenka

Who does God the Father pray to?

Yes. God the Father prays to God the Grandfather.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Praying is a form of meditation, so why not. Relaxing looking over all of his creations.

Right?

Wouldn't revelations be God praying to humans?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Good show!! Humor is welcome.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.
So yes, God has prayed often while he was in the flesh. In fact he demonstrated to us how to pray correctly, and the correct form, and order.

Does that answer your question?
edit on 12-2-2017 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It's obvious, he prays to Joe Pesci because he gets # done!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.
So yes, God has prayed often while he was in the flesh. In fact he demonstrated to us how to pray correctly, and the correct form, and order.

Does that answer your question?

Not in the least bit. Thanks though.

If you recall I actually stated in the OP (you didn't read it?) that JESUS aka "Son" prayed to ''Father"

My "question" was who does the Father pray to?

So, you didn't address, never mind answer, mein question.
edit on 12-2-2017 by irenialilivenka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

It's obvious, he prays to Joe Pesci because he gets # done!

What, am I a clown?

I'm here to amuse YOU?

Desimone 1:1-3

Google is GOOD at prediction because it suggested you after amuse before I typed Y.

Interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with the system knowing famous movie lines.

Off topic, sorry

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Good question, also whos name does he shout during sex?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If God was to pray he'd pray to those that made him...His creators.

If he somehow, just came into being then he'd pray for those that have less power, like us.

In general sense he wouldn't need to pray at all, he's the all powerful being that hears us pray to him and he's probably sick of it.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
He's schizophrenic and talks to himself .

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
If God was to pray he'd pray to those that made him...His creators.

If he somehow, just came into being then he'd pray for those that have less power, like us.

In general sense he wouldn't need to pray at all, he's the all powerful being that hears us pray to him and he's probably sick of it.
An all powerful would not be forced to listen to sickening prayers, but I get what you mean.

He prays for us, maybe to himself, God is at once singular and infinite. Angels are basically moving aspects and thoughts, messages of God Literally angel means "messenger of God."

Or just messenger. MLK Melech, Malak is "angel" but also means "King" in Hebrew, e and a are the same letter so pronunciation and transliteration is the only difference.

Prayer is akin to invocation also.

"Whenever people sit in a gathering invoking God/Allah, the angels welcome them, and grace descends on them, and God mentions their names to those who are besides Him."

Sunnah of the Prophet of God, Mohammed on the Merits of Gathering for Prayer.

Ok so Invocation and prayer can be the same thing in practice if you are praying to/invoking God. It can be as simple as saying "My God The Most High, blesser of peacemakers ."

Now, according to Islam, whenever many gather to pray/invoke God, God reciprocates with grace and says their names.

I suppose that would put your name in the Book of Life.

More importantly, God is invoking, just by saying the names of, the whole gathering.

Which is praying not to us but to the Book of Life or whatever.

The Qur'an explains al-muqarrabun in reference to a class of angels who praise God day and night without ceasing, around the Throne and to certain humans, specifically Jesus.

Mention our names to them, invoke our name, that's something like praying, as close as I can find any religion dealing with the subject.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join