It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Epitome of ignorance’: US Tennis Association plays ‘Nazi anthem’ during German encounter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

The US Tennis Association was left red faced after playing part of the German national anthem used during the Nazi period at the Fed Cup tournament in Hawaii. Germany’s Andrea Petkovic described it as “the worst thing that has ever happened to me.”
The offensive first stanza has been banned in Germany since the end of the Second World War, but it was precisely those bars that were played during the opening ceremony of the quarter final match on Saturday between the Alison Riske of the US and Germany’s Andrea Petkovic.

Riske subsequently beat Petkovic, who described hearing the verse as the “epitome of ignorance.”

Germany’s coach, Barbara Ritter, was distraught saying: “This is an absolute scandal, a disrespectful incident and inexcusable, I could have sobbed. Hearing the national anthem at the Fed cup is a holy moment.”

‘Epitome of ignorance’: US Tennis Association plays ‘Nazi anthem’ during German encounter

How could anyone make a mistake like that? I think this was done purposely and with the intent to offend. The person who played this Nazi anthem should be fired.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
and that person to be fired is the sound guy.. he knew he wasnt getting paid much so he was like "fkc it"

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

unreal man
should i be surprised though? people are pretty stupid

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
"ignorant"

More like ... Conspiracy ... dun dun dun!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I haven't seen anything that stupid since the ISIS/Westboro Baptist mixer someone tried to assemble.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime]

How could anyone make a mistake like that? I think this was done purposely and with the intent to offend. The person who played this Nazi anthem should be fired.

How could anyone make this mistake?

Until I read this article I had no idea their was a band set of bars in the German national anthem. And I venture to guess most non German people don't know it as well.

The question I have is why didn't the German team not supply the proper instructions?

Now if they did supply the proper instructions and the instructions where not followed... than yes I could understand the out rage.

Otherwise: if you wind up killing millions of people and plunging the world into a war ... your bound to have some okward moments from time to time.
edit on 12-2-2017 by DaveButts because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2017 by DaveButts because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZososPhoenix
"ignorant"

More like ... Conspiracy ... dun dun dun!!!

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard the Nazi anthem. Ignorant would describe me well

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

....they share more ideology than you might imagine.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Ummm...No he was probably making anywhere from 600-1500$ a day to be there. Events like that don't skimp on their lead technicians.

ETA: it was most likely the client who hired the production crew who provided the music. However if they didn't then the sound guy probably had to go download a copy and possibly got the wrong one by mistake and just didn't know. People in that lead tech roll make a lot of money and get booked on their reputation...He would not want to jeopardize that over something like this...Unless he was crazy.
edit on 12-2-2017 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
German players, almost uniquely, would be thrown off by such a 'mistake.'

So, probably it wasn't a mistake.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This joke seemingly never gets old

Firings need to take place, and the names of all involved that let it slip should be spread around to ensure these people are never in charge of anything big again. go serve hot dogs.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Am I the only one who had a quick guilty chuckle over this?
I appreciate it may not be nice for Germans but it was an accident and it does happen.

Like in the Olympics when some bloke from Kazakhstan won a gold medal and they played Borats version of the national anthem.
I thought that was hilarious

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Amazing the people who run this, like whoever put the picture on the newspaper of Butthead Baldwin as Trump. How can anyone be soooooo stupid, or maybe they mention to do it?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Praise Bob and f!#$'em if they can't take a joke.
Seriously...if this is the "worst thing that has ever happened" to you, you are a pansy.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Imagine the ultimate meltdown if whistling Dixie was played as the US anthem!
The snowflake revolution would go full blizzard
People would be getting droned, nations invaded and Russia implicated that night

Someone's gotta do that one day
edit on 12-2-2017 by SneakyBeakie because: Added

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I knew that the first verse of the words had been dropped.
That is, the words beginning "Deutschland, Deutschland, uber alles..."
I must admit that it came as a surprise to me that any part of the music could be barred. Running the tune through in my mind (It's also used for the hymn "Many things of thee are spoken, Zion city of our God"), I'm rather puzzled to know how that could work.

edit on 12-2-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Reminds me of when the Kazakhstan national anthem from Borat was played after a gymnast from Kazakhstan won a medal in the olympics.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

How the hell do you not know what you are singing? And how did the DJ play it for so long without realising?

This must of been some kind of joke.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaveButts
Until I read this article I had no idea their was a band set of bars in the German national anthem. And I venture to guess most non German people don't know it as well.

I knew about this but that is only because I sing the full version to my nieces.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Who cares. Most likely honest mistake. Snowflakes

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join