It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taboo - Tom Hardy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So i came across a new show called Taboo, i like it, but i think it could be better, to much focus on a single character without any sympathy for the core audience to appreciate or even relate to.

Its another Man in Black with a hat, looking for world to have fun in..

Ill give it a 8/10, just missing a backstory, and a story line. To many plot holes.

IMDB

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

I've watched 4 or 5 episodes so far.

I love the show.

:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It and Black Sails are what's up currently.

Apparently there's critics complaining that its an unfair presentation of the East India Trading Company... I say they're going easy on them considering all of the evil they did (look up Opium Wars, India, etc). Another good one I just played is "Frontier", which is about their wicked North American counterpart, the Hudson's Bay Company (yes, that Hudson's).

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I keep a eye on it , the cast line up is pretty impressive.

What i really need is Fargo season 3

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I'm waiting for all 8 episodes to come out before I watch it. Looking forward to it though. Have been since it was announced.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

So i came across a new show called Taboo, i like it, but i think it could be better, to much focus on a single character without any sympathy for the core audience to appreciate or even relate to.

Its another Man in Black with a hat, looking for world to have fun in..

Ill give it a 8/10, just missing a backstory, and a story line. To many plot holes.

IMDB

It got panned in the Guardian evidently, I say that's just the Guardian showing it's roots

I'm really enjoying it. The EIC stuff is en pointe, as already pointed out, as is Mr Chumley (see the Guano Wars). I particularly like the EIC's Masonic boardroom. I do agree though that it is a little Tom Hardy-centric, but I suppose if he's put in £10 millionish of his own money that's understandable...he developed it so that he could have a meaty lead, rather than a supporting role like he has found himself relegated to in Hollywood. However, if that was the case he could have saved himself some money and not wasted excellent character actors on insubstantial roles...still though, I like it.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I tried to like it. Too arty and hard to follow. Also not enough character development.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
Taboo - Tom Hardy

Pretty much agree with you.
I find it difficult to get all empathic with someone so wealthy that he can buy anything or anyone and has the Company and Kings a'quiver!
Superman?
Whatever...

I DO like Hardy's work, though!
(and Jonathan Pryce! (Evita!))
Ever seen him/Hardy in 'Bronson'? *__-

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Too much Realpolitik for your entertainment, eh?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana
a reply to: namelesss

Too much Realpolitik for your entertainment, eh?

Perhaps it's just that I have seen to many dark coated hero series' (Lothbrook, Kane, Batman... ) and they're all sort of blending together, after awhile.
And I have to keep all the characters and scenes separated in my mind from week to week?
Nah, not this pinhead! *__-

Realpolitik doesn't disturb someone who does not believe that we make 'choices', that who and what we are manifests every moment.
A spontaneity that Bronson seemed to exhibit.
I could empathize with that...

edit on 8-2-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss
Realpolitik doesn't disturb someone who does not believe that we make 'choices', that who and what we are manifests every moment.

Me too. Bronson, much like Manson, was a product of the penal system.

Taboo doesn't disturb me, and incest doesn't titillate me either, I do appreciate a honest approach to historical drama though, coupled with a class consciousness. "One" gets so bored with period dramas about decadent and over indulged nobility, it's refreshing to see the #-shovelling, of all kinds and varieties of #, that existed behind that very thin veneer of refinement and imperial civilisation.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
It and Black Sails are what's up currently.

Apparently there's critics complaining that its an unfair presentation of the East India Trading Company... I say they're going easy on them considering all of the evil they did (look up Opium Wars, India, etc). Another good one I just played is "Frontier", which is about their wicked North American counterpart, the Hudson's Bay Company (yes, that Hudson's).

im a huge tom hardy fan. i have liked just about everything he has done save for minotaur. i like the show but i thought i would like it much more. its good but i was expecting great. he is doing amazing of course.

i dont think it is an unfair presentation of east india at all. ive read a lot about them and they did some nasty #.

i think my favorite part of the show is mark gatiss as the glutton of a prince. its fantastic

i dont mean to hijack but sine we have talked tom hardy i would urge anyone who is a fan of his to watch this mini series...the take
it is amazing. by far his best work and he plays one of the most unlikable characters i have ever seen on the screen. im talking so good that if this was the first thing you have ever seen him in you would think thats how he really is.

based off a martina cole book

www.imdb.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

originally posted by: namelesss

Me too. Bronson, much like Manson, was a product of the penal system.

Quite defensible position!
Torture always leaves it's mark, and have no doubt, prison is torture!
Sometimes the mark is quite desirable, pain makes us human!

Taboo doesn't disturb me, and incest doesn't titillate me either,

Incest?
Damn, I have to pay closer attention! *__-
Taboo would have to venture well beyond the cinematic safe zone to disturb these delicate senses, and it isn't close! *__-

"One" gets so bored with period dramas about decadent and over indulged nobility, it's refreshing to see the #-shovelling, of all kinds and varieties of #, that existed behind that very thin veneer of refinement and imperial civilisation.

Very much agree!
Oh, the travails of the wealthy!
And, yes, that oh-so thin layer of veneer...

Boopsie tells me that we will be watching the rest of Taboo (just started Legion tonight and it seems to hold promise...).
We'll see... *__-

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Watched part 6 last night. Hardy, his doom gaze, he be all looking like if Michael Meyers were giving you the evil eye without a mask!

Awesome show. But the chemist in me they have crawling out of my skin over these cokamayme chemistry formula's they're presenting. Total fiction, but they are managing to do it in good story telling method at least.
edit on 13-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The show is fiction. Incest was normal back in those days between siblings. Hardy does a solid character and like the audience, London does not know his backstory. Theres a point to this. I can only hope for a second season that delves deeper.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jungian

we dont know his back story??

they sure have given some away

spoilers

we know he went to africa
we know he was on the slave ship that was not supposed to be a slave ship that the east india tried to cover up
we know he practices some kind of voodoo witchcraft african magic type #

he cuts out peoples hearts
he sees his mother(who also practiced that #) in the water
he is able to 'visit' his sister and screw her via his mind and she clearly feels it happen.
he told her he could come to her more if he wanted
he said that he heard his father calling to him.....no coincidence he shows back up as soon as his dad died

what more do you want

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

we dont know his back story??

they sure have given some away

Most is all told by him and not much is shown to us. He is unreliable to say the least..
And now by what he did in epi 6 there is even more of him shrouded in mystery.
Everything you told me is not really adding much to character development. I dont really see what motive he has through the entire season. If we are willing to believe more of what he says; Nootka Sound for Chinese Tea? Eh..
edit on 17-2-2017 by Jungian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

spoiler

i think his motive is to get back at east india.
the more i think about it the more i think he died on the slave ship.
i think it all comes down to that.

i guess we will see. only a few episodes left

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I've watched 4 or 5 episodes so far.

I love the show.

:

Ditto.

I wonder whatever happened to "suspension of disbelief" ?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

He eats human flesh. I cant really say I favor the character. But Tom Hardy does a good job at staying very emotionless. Might already be dead for sure ^ Theres a lot of black magic going on. Love the atmosphere otherwise...but I want more information on what exactly happened in Africa.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join