It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emotional clean up underway at Standing Rock protest camp as it shuts down

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Yeah I didn't expect a dignified response, but still waiting... All hail big oil, the 1 and only answer hahaha. Wake up world. Say no to oil every chance you get!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Uh...trash people left behind after themselves is a mess in my book and pretty much anybody else's book.

Protesters have left behind not just trash, but tents and even cars. "There's more than anticipated, and it's under a lot of snow," Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault said. "I wouldn't say it's going to get done in days; it's going to take weeks."

ABC cleanup article

I mean you can try and spin this as leaving behind cars, tents, and trash as not being a mess all you want but that's not really going to wash.

Bottom line is people who claimed to be protesting to stop a potential environmental problem created an actual impact on the environment and then left it for others to clean up.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

So, they just walked along and threw trash on the ground, you assume?

well yes i do, first reason.

from your link,

Materials for salvage were set to the side, while loaders scraped up bucket loads of abandoned tents, sleeping bags, cooking utensils, food goods, and personal items mixed into slushy snow and ice.[/color] It all got poured into piles and dumpsters arranged around the camp perimeters and trucked to the landfill.

why on earth if everything was in trash bin and dumpsters would they have to scrape up bucket loads of tents sleeping bags cooking utensils, food goods, and personal items mixed into slushy snow and ice, and pile it up or place in dumpsters if it wasn't on the ground and if the tribe had all infrastructure already in place?

second reason, it's just a short little blurp

Abandoned Cars, Tents and Trash Left Behind By Protesters Who Have Gone Home

The tribe hopes to complete the work before any spring floodwaters from the Cannonball River can wash debris into the Missouri River.

Cleanup Begins at Dakota Access Pipeline Protest Encampment
why on earth would they hope that they can clean it up before the spring floods if it was all in trash bins,and dumpsters if the tribe had all infrastructure already in place?

thrid reason, this one even has a picture of the abandoned tents cars and even a bus.

The camp is near the rivers' confluence. It's been home since August to hundreds and sometimes thousands of pipeline opponents. Most have left, and they've left behind abandoned cars, tents and trash. Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault says the cleanup could take weeks. The cost isn't known.
Cleanup Begins At Dakota Access Pipeline Protest Encampment

why on earth would it takes weeks if they already had all infrastructure already in place?

see this little tid bit,

it all got poured into piles and dumpsters arranged around the camp perimeters and trucked to the landfill.

this is the the infrastructure of which you speak.

plus they are setting aside stuff to recycle during the cleanup, if all all infrastructure already in place, wouldn't have been easier to haul it off when tossed into the so called trash bins and dumpsters?

fourth reason,

On Tuesday, contractors hired by the tribe began to clean up the protest sites. Loaders, dump trucks, an excavator, and skid-steers moved into the Oceti Sakowin camp and began to tear down structures and abandoned dwellings. Articles deemed worthy of salvage were set aside for donation in Bismarck and on other reservations. Still, massive amounts of trash remain and spring floodwaters are coming. “It is paramount for public safety, and to prevent an environmental disaster, that the camps be cleared prior to a potential spring flood,” Gov. Doug Burgum said in a statement on Monday. “Once the floodwaters recede, the land will need to be cleaned and eventually restored to pre-protest conditions.” At present, cleanup efforts are focusing on removing the camps themselves. The cost of cleaning up the camps is yet to be determined. .

The process has ironically shown how much the protesters themselves participated in the very disposable society they once criticized. “I came here to fight for the environment. A lot of this stuff was donated and used once and now it’s garbage. It’s like the aftermath of a hurricane,” said Joe Britt, who came to help construct the camp and has remained to watch it taken down.

both above from here,Standing Rock Races to Clean Up Protest Camps as DAPL Approval Nears
so it appears that they didn't have all infrastructure already in place.

fifth reason, i know human nature, very few of the people there give a sh@@, by this i mean if all these people that came to the protest cared about the environment they would not have left their sh@@.

here is a better idea of human nature, although not the same as the protest it still thousands of people living in a camp ground,that left their sh@@.

Hey that doesn't count! You stop posting stuff like that, it shamefully exposes the utter hypocrisy of this movement!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

well i kinda got a feeling that somebody was looking for a little payola and didn't get it, so they pretended to care about their water.

the new spin will be it was just the white man that left his trash not us native americans.

but the fact remains that the people that came didn't give a damn about the environment if they did there wouldn't be a 1/4 of the trash that was left there . just a excuse to protest and show their a@@.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I'll give you that, but the Tribe itself is working hard to prevent an environmental disaster. It was 10,000 people there, you have to expect some problems, but yes, the people who came in from afar should have taken their crap with them. A ton of this stuff was shipped in irrelevant of the actual protesters to help supply the camps, and that's what the tribe itself asked for... help, so now the final responsibility falls on them and I think they are stepping up to the task.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Shamrock6

well i kinda got a feeling that somebody was looking for a little payola and didn't get it, so they pretended to care about their water.

the new spin will be it was just the white man that left his trash not us native americans.

but the fact remains that the people that came didn't give a damn about the environment if they did there wouldn't be a 1/4 of the trash that was left there . just a excuse to protest and show their a@@.

If it's true that it was about getting paid, which may be, I don't know, then it was the Standing Rock Tribe looking for payment for the pipeline to come through the Rez, then it got diverted a mile south, so they got mad. If that's the case, then this whole massive protest was organized by them and in the end, it's their responsibility to clean up the aftermath. How does it fall on the people who traveled their hundreds or thousands of miles to help, when tons of that stuff was shipped in on semi trucks to help the cause, the Standing Rock cause? People in their cars can't be responsible for loads of kitchen appliances, tons of food supplies, and a lot of that other stuff. But, spin it how you all want, but it was a Standing Rock cause and it's a Standing Rock clean up responsibility.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   

did i say any thing about the tribe not cleaning up? this is my very first post,

just the people from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe are cleaning up, not all the protesters themselves. you know the ones that came out whining about the impact on the/their environment. it makes a difference who is actually cleaning it up.

if your going out to protest environmental impact or support someone who is for what ever reason they are protesting, seems to me you would want to leave the area you stayed in, as clean as it was when you got there. even if it wasn't clean, if there to protest pollution. seems you would clean up your trash and the trash around you, i would think you'd want to leave a good impression about your cause, and yourself. this situation doesn't.

leaving all your trash for other people to clean up at a environmental protest, is not much different than going to a protest against violence and and starting fights in my opinion, regardless of how many people were there. and 10,000 people being there seems like maybe a couple thousand could have volunteered and pitched in to clean up, then they wouldn't be in such a pinch to clean it up before the flooding starts. they sure as hell pitched in to create a mess.

edit on 3-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

How does it fall on the people who traveled their hundreds or thousands of miles to help, when tons of that stuff was shipped in on semi trucks to help the cause, the Standing Rock cause?

are you kidding me? do you really think that all the stuff that was shipped in is the reason their out there scarpering up bucket loads of abandoned tents, sleeping bags, cooking utensils, food goods, and personal items mixed into slushy snow and ice. or the cars and at least one bus that were abandoned.i have yet to read any article that says any of the supplies the are the problem.

i tend to believe that all the supplies as far as food stuff and such was places in staging areas, for the fact as i was looking for pictures and articles about this, i saw a couple of pictures that showed supplies on pallets side by side with traps over them, dated before the EO came and they started to leave.

now for a more direct answer, it's their personal responsibility. the stuff that is the problem wasn't the supplies, it was the personal sh@@ and trash left behind. as i said to Shamrock, if the people that came out, cleaned up their mess, there would only been a 1/4 ( just a example) of the trash left.

here a local TV news report, prepare for what your going to see, hint it's not mountains of donated supplies.the article doesn't mention supplies, it says trash over and over again. in fact the man in charge of Indian Affairs had this to say,

"It's unfortunate. Again, that just goes against what they're fighting against, is leaving that stuff and abandoning it and obviously the environment the river," says Scott Davis, North Dakota Commissioner for Indian Affairs.

just look around and see all the Garbage left behind by all those that love the earth.

oh and remember asking if i thought they just threw trash around on the ground, it sure appears that way.

Cleanup continues at the Oceti Sakowin protest camp

don't try and tell me that it's just the tribes responsibility, it's every last person that was out there responsibility to clean up behind themselves and not leave it for someone else to do. and i bet you dollars to doughnuts that the tribe ain't paying to clean it up just because it's the right thing to do, i think it's got more to do with being sued than cleaning up. they would face heavy fines and clean up costs if they would have left it.

edit on 3-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join