It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. government scientists go 'rogue' in defiance of Trump

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Trump administration clampdowns on research agencies worry scientists

Chaos, confusion reign over how far-reaching, long-lasting directives are

Some restrictions are normal in a transition, …Putting a hold on making policy statements is one of those.

Withholding scientific results is not, and that fear looms, says Rosenberg, who now directs the Center for Science and Democracy at the Union of Concerned Scientists in Cambridge, Mass. Banning the release and discussion of research and data would directly violate the various scientific integrity policies that guide federal agencies. Among other things, these policies state that federal scientists may speak to the media and public about their work. The EPA’s policy also says: “To operate an effective science and regulatory agency like the EPA, it is also essential that political or other officials not suppress or alter scientific findings.”

Science isn’t intended to reflect a new administration. Science is intended to reflect data and evidence,” Rosenberg says.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

originally posted by: verschickter
My god.

Like many here, you treat direct quotes -be it a headline or quoted statement- as if the quotes are the posters' own words.

Show me where I wrote that it was your own words. I mean, show me the actual text that says that. Not what you think I wrote, but what I actually wrote.
You can´t.

In this case, you credited me with a statement made by renowned physicist Stephen Hawking (thanks btw),...

Thank you for what? How do you define "credited"?

... removed his name, and edited it for "accuracy-according-to-verschickter" - without even mentioning him.

I selected the text I needed, and quoted it.
I made clear what the origina text is, I made clear what my version is. That was the whole point of the post. Of course it´s always better to credit someone (like I did in my signature, you see..). But in this case, my post is linked to yours and I did not remove his name, I never selected it. It was certanly NOT by intention. Your making a fuss out of nothing to sidetrack is my feeling. It does not matter who wrote it. I never commented on that. Your a liar if you insist that I did that. A damn liar.

WARNING: verschickter GASLIGHTING

Alarmist much? It´s overwhelming how much you interpret into 7 -seven- words. Only shows your mindset.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Sensationalist headline for this thread.
'US scientists go rogue' hahaa
Yea, maybe they will follow the rules sent in place by their employers.
Let em go really rogue and continue to use official channels to perpetuate their propaganda and see how long it is till they are flipping burgers at McDonalds.
There's no missing data, it's still all posted at the sites.
If they wanna use social media, do it on non departmental accounts, is it that hard to understand?
Pretty certain they're all working within the confines of NDA's.
A change in direction for their research is nothing new, happens when administrations change, if they are unaware of this, I don't think their university educations did them much good.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
Sensationalist headline for this thread.
'US scientists go rogue' haha

Take it up with the guy who wrote the rules for posting here.

There's no missing data, it's still all posted at the sites.

Erm. No. Much has been deleted in numerous departments.

Pretty certain they're all working within the confines of NDA's.

There is a commitment to sharing with the public as the taxpaying funders of the work.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

It's not just American scientists... this is actually affecting science worldwide, as some international teams can't get to their research site (counter-bans are keeping Americans out of countries as well.)

The country's leading body for the sciences, the Royal Society of New Zealand, has also highlighted its concerns over how restrictions to access to the US, just ordered by US President Donald Trump, would affect researchers.

The concerns come amid a wave of unease among many scientists about some of the new administration's early moves, which have included a new review of studies and data published by scientists at the US Environmental Protection Agency and restrictions enforced on federal agencies on communicating with the public.

But the independent New Zealand Association of Scientists (NZAS), aired wider concerns over impacts on human rights, including Trump's ban on visitors from seven majority-Muslim nations.

In a statement, the NZAS claimed the administration was using "new, and seriously partisan, media to deconstruct science"
source

Government has long believed that we, the people, should be content. But this bizarre heavy-handed muddling of policy and laws is causing a large backlash. Right now, Congress is just annoyed but if the calls and the activism continue, congress is going to become very alarmed.

We just saw the FCC push back against Trump. Other departments are doing this as well.
edit on 4-2-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The politicization of science is unlikely to eliminate the politicization of science.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Majic

The politicization of science is unlikely to eliminate the politicization of science.

Worth repeating.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Now, there getting the Animal Activists feathers ruffled.

This one bothers me too.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: Blarneystoner
I produce almost 90% of the electrical power I consume from my water + photovoltaik power plant. If you consume electrical power from the public network, you´re much having a much greater impact on the environment, worser than I ever could.

Woop! Your response has nothing to do with what I posted.... congrats! BTW PV plants feed directly into the power grid, not local users. I'm assuming you meant to say Solar power panels... maybe on your roof? or? I haven't the foggiest idea what you're trying to communicate.

My original post went something like... "Science is not a Liberal conspiracy." If you want to talk about that then I'm up for it...

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

How did we get to this point in America??
The entire article is short and worth the read.

A US-born NASA scientist was detained at the border until he unlocked his phone

The officer left with the device and didn’t return for another 30 minutes.

Eventually, the phone was returned to Bikkannavar, though he’s not sure what happened during the time it was in the officer’s possession. ...

Bikkannavar can’t comment on what may or may not have been on the phone, but he says the cybersecurity team at JPL was not happy about the breach. Bikkannavar had his phone on hand while he was traveling in case there was a problem at work that needed his attention, but NASA employees are obligated to protect work-related information, no matter how minuscule.

The phone was clearly marked. How many scientists traveling will have to give up their cell phones?

Bikkannavar did not want to hand over the device, because it was given to him by JPL and is technically NASA property. He even showed the officer the JPL barcode on the back of phone.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Great link, article. Thanks. ...Does give one pause, doesn't it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join