It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. government scientists go 'rogue' in defiance of Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Employees from more than a dozen U.S. government agencies have established a network of unofficial "rogue" Twitter feeds in defiance of what they see as attempts by President Donald Trump to muzzle federal climate change research and other science.

...to protest restrictions they view as censorship and provide unfettered platforms for information the new administration has curtailed.

...Employees at the EPA and the departments of Interior, Agriculture and Health and Human Services have since confirmed seeing notices from the new administration either instructing them to remove web pages or limit how they communicate to the public, including through social media.

...as private accounts, they are beyond the control of the government.

U.S. government scientists go 'rogue' in defiance of Trump

#resist or #resistance

I like it. Special thanks to Byrd for flagging this movement on my last thread.

Censorship: Bad. Politicizing science: Bad.

In response to gag orders, "unofficial "resistance" or "rogue" Twitter accounts began sprouting up, emblazoned with the government logos of the agencies where they worked, the list growing to at least 14 such sites by Wednesday afternoon."

Resistance: Good.

edit on 26/1/17 by soficrow because: add link

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

How do we know those "private accounts that borrowed signs and logos" are not just fakes? I doubt any of the scientists will stick their head out.

So I do what I normaly do, when I hear something that vague but pushed by MSN. Sit back and wait. Just like your last thread, where your title was missleading as hell.

edit on 26-1-2017 by verschickter because: typo, missed the "not"

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Well I believe it and salute them for it.
Trying to silence science you don't agree with is worrying.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Isn't this title misleading? Just because you work for these agencies does not mean you are a scientist. These could be any number of people who work or do not work for the agency.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

Yeah but think about the poor US 'scientists'! Where US actually means government and scientist means data-doctor.

edit on 26-1-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
In the daily press briefing yesterday, Spicer said that this order did NOT come from Trump or the White House.

He said he understands that the order came from within their own departments, and that they were requesting people to follow existing policies, because people were violating them.
edit on 26-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Someone best tell them that.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They seem to think it's serious.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

If this is true, there is definitly an agenda followed by the press, to make the US president look bad, like it never has happened before (from my passive US knowledge)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

...Just like your last thread, where your title was missleading as hell.

As per ATS rules and regs, "my" title was copied verbatim from the source article:
Trump Administration Orders Communications Blackout For US Scientists.

Would you prefer the Associated Press and Bloomberg title?

AP/Bloomberg: Trump Admin Orders EPA Contract Freeze And Media Blackout

…”This decision could have damaging implications… from delaying testing for lead in schools to restricting efforts to keep drinking water clean to holding up much-needed funding to revitalize toxic brownfield sites,” Schumer said.

The executive director for the advocacy group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, Jeff Ruch, said the orders go beyond what has occurred in prior presidential transitions.

We're watching the dark cloud of Mordor extend over federal service,” Ruch said Tuesday, referring to the evil kingdom in the epic fantasy "The Lord of the Rings."

In a test of what the new administration will tolerate, the official Twitter account of the Badlands National Park published a series of posts Tuesday accurately quoting climate science data that included the current record-setting high concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The tweets were soon deleted.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

Isn't this title misleading?

ATS specifies that titles be copied verbatim from the source article.

I suggest you take up your issues with Reuters.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yes, you were compliant to the ATS rules. Of course this does not hinder you to put the missleading title straight. But as it serves you well, you did not do that. It´s also obvious that it´s not hard to catch on, when almost everybody including myself realized it pretty quickly.

The press says government ordered it, the government says the agencies themselves put this in place. So what do we do now?
edit on 26-1-2017 by verschickter because: not severs, wanted to type "served", fixed that.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
In the daily press briefing yesterday, Spicer said that this order did NOT come from Trump or the White House.

He said he understands that the order came from within their own departments, and that they were requesting people to follow existing policies, because people were violating them.

You mean Spicer's alt-facts?

If he's telling the truth, why are the scientists planning a march?

Scientists planning massive march in DC

PS. It walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck - but it's not a duck? Please, stop drinking the koolaid!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

If he's telling the truth, why are the scientists planning a march?

But do they? Who said that, who organizes this? As of know, there´s some reporter telling us that.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The press says government ordered it, the government says the agencies themselves put this in place. So what do we do now?

March with the scientists of course. They know exactly what they're up against. AND what to do.

Scientists planning massive march in DC

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yeah, like we´ve seen in the past decades... not.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
They can find themselves new jobs then, can't they?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
When it comes to the fight for funding and the scientific egos. these people can be as bad as the religious nutjobs.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

www.marketwatch.com... ays-white-house-hasnt-banned-agencies-from-tweeting-2017-01-25

“They haven’t been directed by us to do anything,” he told reporters at the daily briefing.

“From what I understand, is that they’ve been told within their agencies to adhere to their own policies. But that directive did not come from here,” he said.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Really the question is whether these scientists see continued government funding as: Good or if they're OK with losing that funding because they're making career decisions that are: Bad.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

When all news is fake news we've exited reality.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join