It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama commutes much of Chelsea Manning's sentence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

You're on the wrong side of history, Neo.

Not hardly.

See 'Russia hacked the US election'.

Brought to us courtsey of WIKILEAKS.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Sentenced under US Army Court Martial to 35 years' imprisonment in August 2013, Manning had leaked to WikiLeaks

That last modicum of credibility Trump critics had.

Seriously Neo, you are beginning to lose your creditability. What part of this discussion involves Trump?

Nothing.

There's plenty of threads for that. Maybe go find one.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well, Manning's info hurt the Bush administration. So, no sweat off Obama's back.

I dunno though, this last month or so really feels like Obama is tying up loose ends and trying to leave things just so for Trump. No way forward in some areas, nothing to look too close at in others.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Seriously Neo, you are beginning to lose your creditability. What part of this discussion involves Trump?

Next time U2 me when Wikileaks suppose to be good.

Manning/Wikileaks= HERO

CLinton/WIKILEAKS=ZERO.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Good news. Manning served a fair sentence, and deserves to be free. Especially if the claims of torture and suicide attempts are true.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I wonder if he did this becasue Assange said he would be willing to be extradited if Manning was released? Does it kill the deal or aid it?

The US would have to charge him with something first.

As far as I know, the US hasn't started any legal proceedings against him or a request of extradition from the UK.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You beat me to it.

link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

en.wikipedia.org...

Manning is a trans woman who, in a statement the day after sentencing, said she had felt female since childhood, wanted to be known as Chelsea,[6] and desired to begin hormone replacement therapy.[7] From early life and through much of her Army life, Manning was known as Bradley; she was diagnosed with gender identity disorder while in the Army.[8]

I thought I woke up in an alternative universe - all good - she/he had a sex change

link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Assange will forever be on the snip list.

He went against the chosen one. Clinton.

Surprising he's even still alive.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Hazardous1408

You're on the wrong side of history, Neo.

Not hardly.

See 'Russia hacked the US election'.

Brought to us courtsey of WIKILEAKS.

Ok, I get your position. But if true, our countries citizens have been begging for real change.

We get our change supposedly via Russia without the need to drone strike us for 6 years. I'd love for change to happen home grown style, but this is where we are at, maybe Russia stole our election maybe not, but so far the proof has been found wanting.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ok, I get your position. But if true, our countries citizens have been begging for real change.

Some people talk about.

Some people using their positions to send foreigners classified materials.

And some people sought changed VOTED for an orange guy with bad hair.

You can fight the system and get a free sex change out of it.

Or use the system against itself.

Manning came out a winner.

Regardless of opinions.

Can't wait for the book and movies!

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A pardon would have annulled the conviction no? As it is a commutation of the sentence leaves the conviction in place and only removes the remainder of the sentence does it not?

I'm leery of this move by Obama as merely an attempt to buy back some political goodwill and not doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

As for Assange, considering he's in the Ecuadorian embassy, any extradition order would have to be with Ecuador, not the U.K.; and since we do not have an extradition treaty with Ecuador...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

That's why they can charge him, send the request to the UK and then have him present himself to the US or UK authorities there.

It's not like they aren't waiting outside the embassy anyway. But a charge would have to come first.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well he set a standard for other military prisoners, just say you are the opposite sex have the tax payers pay for it do a few attention seeking suicide attempts and then you too can get pardoned.

He wants to be a she then put he/she in a female prison.

What a joke.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And least manning had the balls ( hahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha) to stay and face the music rather than ran like snowden, that makes Manning more of a......well man hahaha

Some may not find this as clever and funny as you think it is?

I was one of the 100,000 plus that signed the petition to let Manning out of prison. Thank you Obama for doing the right thing.

I can't see how denying well established medical protocols was anything but cruel and unusual punishment. It is about time something was done. I just hope she's not too damaged from her ordeal to recover and get on with her life.

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
I thought I woke up in an alternative universe - all good - she/he had a sex change

In prison, Chelsea was provided cross-sex hormone therapy, the use of light cosmetics and certain articles of female attire. She was not permitted to grow her hair any longer than that of male military standards. Much of her time was spent in isolation. She attempted suicide twice and received extra punishments because she did. She was also punished for being in possession of expired toothpaste so her time in prison was no picnic.

Incidentally, not all transgender people "have a sex change". Some studies have put the numbers that do around 33%. More recent studies have shown that only 10% to 12% of transgender people have completed sex reassignment surgery.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Next time U2 me when Wikileaks suppose to be good.

Manning/Wikileaks= HERO

CLinton/WIKILEAKS=ZERO.

This ratio surely proves that the reception of what they leak is up to the public, and wikileaks is just the messenger so to speak.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The release was great news.

But, I don't trust Obama.
Considering all of the other things he has been doing to make things hard for Trump, there has to be some ulterior motive here.
Maybe he is getting ready to pardon Clinton, and thought that starting with Manning would make it easier for people to accept.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
THANKS, I'll let the SCOUTS know so someone can deliver our mail....

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Other than the fact that Obma is not pardoning Manning, only reducing the sentence, I agree with your statement.

If he does make a move to pardon Clinton, he has to specify what she is being pardoned for, does he not? This would at least give us an idea of the amount of wrongdoing she was culpable for.

Personally, I think the Clintons et. al.(Mills, Abedin, Podesta, etc) should all be facing RICO charges among others, but what do I know?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join