It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama commutes much of Chelsea Manning's sentence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I feel uneasy about this. I'm not able to trust Obama's motives. Of course it's good for Manning but...

Just a feeling.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: Jiggly
snowden up next?

Snowden can not be pardoned, because he has not stood trial and been convicted of anything. Ditto on commutation.

He can. The President can pardon in advance and prevent charges from being filed.

Researched and you are correct....although it is VERY rare.

The pardon can only be for acts already committed. So the POTUS can't pardon someone for a murder before they murder someone...but he can pardon them from resulting charges from the act. Ford did it with Nixon.

That said, when questioned, the WH said they have not received any request for Clemency from Snowden.

White House: No Snowden clemency request
www.cnn.com...

If I was Snowden I would get on that ASAP, the clock is ticking and Obama is pardoning leakers...and frankly in his public statement he has always gave Snowden some credit for starting the debate around National Security vs. Privacy and the constitution etc.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

I feel uneasy about this. I'm not able to trust Obama's motives. Of course it's good for Manning but...

Just a feeling.

Something's afoot I can feel it but maybe is simply too get their hands on Assange of something else is going on. Time reveals all.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

I too have a strange feeling about this.
I would have never expected for him to pardon Gen.Cartwright and Chelsea Manning.
Don't know what to think about all this.
Interesting times we are living right now.
I'm curious if Assange will turn himself in..he did give his word.
He didn't sign any papers like a member said but still..he did give his word.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I feel that "something's afoot" feeling, too. I felt it right off of the bat upon seeing the news. It very well could be a lure for Assange despite the fact that Wikileaks is celebrating the move by Obama.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
So do the democrats love Wikileaks again?

It will be interesting to see how their pretzel logic spins this one.

Flavor of the day or week, depending on agendas, propaganda and attention spans.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm just jumping into the thread, but just having read about Manning's commutation of sentence I had to say I think this is a good thing. Manning may have been a fool, but he wasn't a saboteur. He was genuinely appalled by what he knew was going on in Iraq. It is difficult to believe that the truth would have come to light otherwise. I think the president has done the right thing in this particular case.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Maybe a move Assange wasn't expecting ? To discredit him if he doesn't turn himself in.
I mean he does and will do more damage if he is still "free".

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
They can give chelseas cell to hillary now .

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: saudi

I think it wise, at least for me, to give pause over this development for now despite it being a huge "gift" for Manning.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
So do the democrats love Wikileaks again?

Wikileaks is a gun..You don't hate or love a gun. It is how it is used, who pulls the trigger and where it is aimed that makes it dangerous.

That said...Assange has worked for the Russians, even before the 2016 election. He was hoping to land a cozy apartment next to Snowden.

But..with a Trump admin..maybe he has backchannel assurances that the USA will work out for him? Trump might have told him they wouldn't give him up to Swedish extradition?

Next is to figure out why Snowden hasn't filed the paperwork for clemency from Obama..Pres. Obama can't give what has not been asked for..Snowden hasn't even put in an official request...why?
edit on 17-1-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Again, I want to make this a lesson for us.

NO HUMAN BEING IS ALL EVIL

There is no more of a critic of Obama than me on this site but when he does a charitable great act like this, we should all give the man his props.

In the end we're all just humans trying to make it in this world of suffering the best we can, so to help another one out who is obviously in a deep state of suffering as sister Manning is a great act.

Obama got a lot of bad karma off his hide for this

I’m sure Trump from time to time will do great things. I hope that he’ll do more great things than not great things

What that amounts to is relieving suffering more so than causing suffering for human beings.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
They can give chelseas cell to hillary now .

One can only hope but it would be too much crazy in a short time.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Was getting ready to say similar when I saw your post.

She was treated so badly in prison the fear is they will double down. When she is released mental and emotional recovery will likely take years. Hoping she has more than sufficient support.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've made my feelings about Manning known more than once on this site.

Seven years is enough. And, if Obama was a member here, I'd probably award him a little green star.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

Yes it is best to take a pause.
I wonder what the real reason was behind this but we will see soon.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Obama got a lot of bad karma off his hide for this

I honestly hope for this to be the non-duplicitous, actual truth of the matter. I have to wait and see for a while for my own reasons. I'm willing to wait.

I'm pretty sure a whole lot was going on behind the scenes leading up to this commutation.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Why does he deserve this?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Why does he deserve this?

Because our government thinks is OK to drone strike civilians, then come back 20 min later and kill first responders and journalists because they thought they could without any resistance or oversight.

She's a hero.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I'm interested in your honest viewpoint and why. You think Manning shouldn't have been granted clemency.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join