It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

We export a lot of oil also and that particular commodity would not keep us afloat.

I do appreciate a fine malt all the same.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: Denoli
She was spot on 👍
Scots just want a free ride 👍
Let's stop ALL migrants 👍
If Europe plays hard ball charge everyone £1000 tax to holiday in Europe and no tax to Canada , USA and oz 👍

U.K. Has got its balls back 👍

....I see. So you want the farmers of Great Britain to lose all the migrant workers they depend on?
This is going to wreck UK politics as we know it for the next decade at least. Possibly more if the Labour Party does indeed wreck itself on its own internal divisions.

We will still have European farm workers and such. The difference will be that all this free movement of people will come to an end and they'll have to apply to come here in future. They won't have an automatic right to stay and live here. They'll have to go back home when their temporary visas expire.

All the remoaners are behaving as if NO-ONE will be allowed to come here and vice-versa, we'll be like an isolated prison island that no-one can leave or enter. It's just not true. You chaps need to get a grip.
edit on 18-1-2017 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Well looking at the direction in which our America cousins are heading one has to wonder how many top end luxury cars we would need to export to that top 0.5% of the American populace to even break even on such a deal?

Dealing with places like the US in the future, unless she come to her senses, might not be the best of ideas, just a thought.
edit on 18-1-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Another Scot! This place is full of them. Was a Solo joke btw. Just can't help it lol. I do know where you are coming from regarding ships and steel, yes that's true but those industires aren't going to come back here, there are cheaper places on planet Earth to make them. What we have got to concentrate on is where a product carries a feel of Britishness. Nobody is going to care where sheet steel is made, or even ships, they do a job. Our future export growth will need to concentrate on this British feel, total push to capture the British lifestyle in the way Land Rover, Jag, Triumph bikes does it. India and China are THE markets that need to be harnessed, half the people on our planet live there. There's hundreds of millions of people of emerging middle class to cash in on who want that British feel. I know a local pot bank and every day bus load after bus load of South Koreans are bussed in to capture their dream, when they get back on those buses you need to see it they can't carry the ware back on it's bags in both hands lol. What's Korea? One thirtieth the size of India and China? As a nation we certainly can see our way to capturing those sales with marketing the feel of Britain. Oh I don't consider London to be the heart of the country no, it's a complex place that doesn't appear to have much to do with the rest of Britain. The heart is in the centre where things go on as they did hundreds of years ago. That's the heart of Britain.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Scottish people are everywhere, we kind of get about. LoL

Lets just hope it does not end in tears, cant say that i don't agree with rather a few of the above.

Like i said im just rather ambivalent as to the future direction of our nation, and so is a significant percentage of the rest of the nation.

Brexit needs to be implemented correctly, hopefully May is up to the job, else we are all significantly screwed for the foreseeable future.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Well looking at the direction in which our America cousins are heading one has to wonder how many top end luxury cars we would need to export to that top 0.5% of the American populace to even break even on such a deal?

Dealing with places like the US in the future, unless she come to her senses, might not be the best of ideas, just a thought.

There are about 90 million folks in the 70 to 80k a year bracket. Based on the us census data. Give or take. Roughly a 1/4 of households.

If just 1 per cent buy a jag that's 900 000 of the things.

Or, 10 times the current production.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

"There are about 90 million folks in the 70 to 80k a year bracket."

And if there are still 90 million folks remaining is said bracket after the next 4-8 years ile be very surprised.

Things going the way they are the US is heading down a rather more slippery slope than the UK.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Yeah it going to be a bit of an interesting time alright and if things could go back I'd prefer to be in the EU as voted remain. The majority of voters wanted out so that's the way Brits want it, fair dos it's just a strange thing the EU isn't going anywhere it is still there and is always going to be our next door neighbour in one form or another. Just can't get over that we won't be able to live where we want within the EU with no strings attached like we are today. A real shame for some of us who don't like fences and borders. But hey that's the way things are going. We just got to make the most of it whatever we are left with.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I really doubt that.

It would take something seismic and world changing to eliminate the American middle class.

No matter what you think of Trump, he still needs the support of both Houses and all three arms of government aren't going to be totally bat shot crazy at the same time.

If it does happen though, in or out of the EU, it would knacker every economy.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

My main concern is for settled EU nationals in the UK and vice versa.
I'm optimistic that a sensible reciprocal arrangement will be reached, if only because there really is no other choice aside from pointless displacement of millions of people.

I for one would do everything in my power to protect my EU friends, legal or otherwise.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Yes it does make you wonder about those people. Many od them have family here now love living here, on even more of a plus side they are a massive benefit to our state, they easterners work like crazy, they don't sue or do silly sickies and will do work so many of our own lot that win't do it. These immigrants sould be encouraged to stay and bring in more to keep the economy going. They are generally amazingly polite too and often highly cultured. It's crazy if they are uprooted Grains, where it stop? Britain and our business world has been built up by eastern european immigrants over the past 130 yrs and what now, expel everyone? Crazy times................. There will be plenty of right wingers who will be up for having their moment if we let them.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Let's see. What did she say about stopping immigrants and closing British borders:

"I want us to be a secure, prosperous, tolerant country – a magnet for international talent and a home to the pioneers and innovators who will shape the world ahead. I want us to be a truly Global Britain – the best friend and neighbour to our European partners, but a country that reaches beyond the borders of Europe too. A country that goes out into the world to build relationships with old friends and new allies alike."

So, no closed borders at all. And instead of stopping immigration, she wants the UK to be a "magnet" for INTERNATIONAL talent. Don't you have sufficient talent of your own, I wonder? Guess not..

We are a European country – and proud of our shared European heritage - but we are also a country that has always looked beyond Europe to the wider world. That is why we are one of the most racially diverse countries in Europe, one of the most multicultural members of the European Union, and why – whether we are talking about India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, countries in Africa or those that are closer to home in Europe – so many of us have close friends and relatives from across the world.

Oh, really? Close friends?

Let's see, Australia, for example

"The Australian Prime Minister together with the President of the European Council and the President of the European Commission agreed in a joint statement on 15 November 2015 to start the process towards a comprehensive and high-quality Free Trade Agreement (FTA)."

Yep, the EU is definitely not focused on the world at all, like the UK...

Oh, well, that good old friend of the Brits - India, then?

"Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations have been ongoing between the EU and India for more than nine years now. The FTA aims to reduce tariffs on goods, facilitate trade in services, and boost investments between the two sides. The EU is India's largest trading partner.Jun 27, 2016"

Ah, okay, who needs Australia and India. Pakistan, us Brits will trade with Pakistan!

Pakistan's trade preferences. The EU supports Pakistan's integration into the world economy and its sustainable economic development by granting it GSP+ trade preferences. Thanks to GSP+ more than 76% of Pakistan's exports, including textiles and clothing, enter the EU duty and quota free.

Oh, blimey. Well, come on, then we'll go and visit or old "friend" in Canada, they will surely prefer the UK over the EU, right?

CETA is a new trade agreement between the EU and Canada.

It'll make it easier to export goods and services, benefitting people and businesses in both the EU and Canada.

The EU and Canada approved and signed CETA on 30 October 2016.

The European Parliament and EU national parliaments must approve CETA before it can take full effect.

Yep, the UK will do fine, mark my words.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

For the ten millionth time

The only people going on about closed borders are sub normal remainers who haven't had their ritalin.

As for the rest, you can pick a source, I can pick a source and we will both have different outcomes regarding trade.
The fact is though, money talks and no one would rule their country out of selling their stuff to the uk.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There is a strong possibility that this Brexit will lead to a new Imperial age. If we pull apart in Europe the free member states may go all out to capture markets and regions of important raw materials. We may be looking at Britains third imperial age.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

Please stop touting the huge lie that immigration will stop. It's the free movement of people that will end.

We won't be forced to accept the criminals and homeless beggars that have nothing to offer our society. Free movement allows everyone and anyone in even if they don't have homes or jobs to come to. It's not good for them or us. Those who want to beg on the streets for a living will have to do it in their own country or elsewhere in Europe, in future. Those who have a job to come to will be very welcome.

Get it right please.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

It's rather pathetic isn't it.
If we need people they will be welcome, but the people we don't need can pay for a holiday here instead, and get kicked out if they overstay.
Same if I overstayed in Canada.

Good riddance to European beggars I say, and hello to hard workers that the country needs.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

And as long as those hard workers are given a fair days pay for a fair days work that's fine, but will it work out that way?

Considering a substantial amount of our low paid work force already employ the use of food banks to survive.

Chances are in the short term we will be be forced to expect less, and considering the state of the nation, i don't really see how that's a viable prospect unless we are happy to allow a significant percentage of our population to subside below the breadline.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I know you don't share my optimism but I'm a half glass full person.
I was a debt advocate in a past career life and I think the abuse of food banks is disgraceful...can't afford food but can pay the full Sky package and iphones for the kids instead of a cheap prepay top up phone.

yeah there is poverty in the UK but much of it caused by foolish spending choices and shiny things.
Flame away

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
We don't really have any heavy industry left thanx to previews governments.

While the UK manufacturing sector is the 11th biggest globally, it remains very significant. Just because you don't see steel mills everywhere does not mean that it's all dead.

employs 2.6 million people contributes 10% of GVA accounts for 44% of total exports represents 69% of business research and development (R&D) provides 15% of business investment

UK manufacturing

If anything, Brexit has made the country wake up to some basic facts, including that we need to exploit global markets more effectively. We probably give more cash in "aid" to India than we export, yet India is a developing powerhouse. Just think of the opportunities.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Yep, the UK will do fine, mark my words.

Yep, got it in one.....

Without the extra weight of 27 countries around our necks, we wont need up to

10 years to negotiate for deals and terms ....

Without the EU, the UK is leaner, fitter, and faster to be able to get things done!!

So YES the UK will be fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join