It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Diplomat Caught on Camera Plotting to 'Take Down' UK MPs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The video has been released by Al Jazeera as part of a series of documentaries that will be broadcast from this January , the Diplomat , Shai Masot , is caught on camera in a London restaurant discussing with an undercover reporter some British MPs he would like to "take down" , he names Foreign Office Minister Sir Alan Duncan who was causing “a lot of problems” for Israel as he's opposed to Israeli settlements.

Shai Masot goes on to describe British Foreign secretary Boris Johnson as an “idiot”

In the video Mr Masot says...

I'm not a career diplomat , I am a political posting which means I came for just one position to assist in political issues that are specific , sometimes you need to take care of just them , to be focused on them that's what I do.

The reporter - known as Robin - posed as a graduate activist with strong sympathies towards Israel who was keen to help combat the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement prominent in Britain.
Masot’s comments about wanting to “take down” Sir Alan were made at the Aubaine restaurant, directly opposite the Israeli Embassy in Kensington, west London, the Mail on Sunday reported.

Sir Alan, who has been critical of Israel, was seen as more of a problem than Foreign Minister Johnson who was “basically good”, according to Masot in a transcript of the conversation. “He just doesn’t care. He is an idiot but has become minister of foreign affairs without any responsibilities. If something real happened it won’t be his fault... it will be Alan Duncan. “Duncan is impossible to rebuff ... he has a lot of friends.”
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

How very politically incorrect , no Ferrero Rocher for you Mr Masot.

It also makes me wonder where all the claims of anti-Semitism against Jeremy Corbyn have been coming from given his opposition to the policies of Israel.

edit on 8-1-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
This sort of thing seems par for the course with Israel but heaven forbid you expose your personal anti semitism by saying anything.

If this guy isnt kicked out of the country like now I think it will be very telling

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

According to the BBC, our government aren't taking any further action. He did apologise though so it's all gravy, eh?
edit on 8-1-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

so - when brittish politicians conspire to dictate isreali internal politics - thats ok ?

but everyone gets hysterical when the isrealis conspire to retaliate ?

cannot have it both ways

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

so - when brittish politicians conspire to dictate isreali internal politics - thats ok ?

British politicians have a right to express their views , the British government is supportive of Israel.
Shai Masot is an agent of a foreign country trying to subvert our political process , very different things.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I don't even know why we maintain diplomatic relations with such an openly hostile state. Kick out the diplomat, the ambassador and any other embassy staff.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
How very politically incorrect , no Ferrero Rocher for you Mr Masot.

It also makes me wonder where all the claims of anti-Semitism against Jeremy Corbyn have been coming from given his opposition to the policies of Israel.

Great thread.

(post by YouSir removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

but everyone gets hysterical when the isrealis conspire to retaliate ?

cannot have it both ways

What?

Israel are whiter than white aren't they? I'm sure all of his words have been taken out of context. Naughty, naughty journalist, how dare you expose how sneaky the good old Israelis are.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Shai Masot is an agent of a foreign country trying to subvert our political process , very different things.

Do you have any evidence that he is actually undertaking covert action to subvert the political process? Or is he just airing his opinions? As a diplomat, he should not be as candid as he was here, even if he believed he was talking to someone sympathetic.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Do you have any evidence that he is actually undertaking covert action to subvert the political process? Or is he just airing his opinions? As a diplomat, he should not be as candid as he was here, even if he believed he was talking to someone sympathetic.

He was suggesting the journalist find some dirt on the M.P in question and expose it in the public domain. Something that would cause him to resign his position. Nothing to see here people and if you think there is, then you are antisemetic. Right?
edit on 8/1/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Post by YouSir
Ummm...look dude...raging antisemitism aside...Speaking to a subject...and espionage/Assassination your attempting to link the conversation to...is rather knee jerk...Don't you think...?

Please point to where I mention anything about assassination , as far as I'm aware take down refers to some kind of scandal.

Post by YouSir
I mean...even when you use the inflammatory term "Agent"...rather than Diplomat...At least I suppose...you didn't outright call him a card carrying Mossad member...

Words from Mr Masot.

I'm not a career diplomat , I am a political posting which means I came for just one position to assist in political issues that are specific

If he doesn't reffer to himself as a diplomat why should I ?

Post by YouSir
Listen to yourself..."British politicians have a right to express their views"...all while stating that Diplomat Masot does not have that right...

He's here for a certain reason , as he stated.

sometimes you need to take care of just them , to be focused on them that's what I do.

Post by YouSir
Stop acting all astonished at historical practices handed down from the first city states...

edit on 8-1-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

From your link/source;

Sir Alan, who has been critical of Israel, was seen as more of a problem than Foreign Minister Johnson who was “basically good”, according to Masot in a transcript of the conversation. “He just doesn’t care. He is an idiot but has become minister of foreign affairs without any responsibilities. If something real happened it won’t be his fault...

I think the Israeli diplomatic/intelligence services will be dealing with idiot big mouth Mr Masot who has completely underestimated the practiced 'buffoon' that currently heads the FO.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

He was suggesting the journalist find some dirt on the M.P in question and expose it in the public domain.

Seems to me she was suggesting that she could take politicians down, and if she could, who would he like to see taken down. That is a significant difference. Also, I find it disturbing that you are already playing the Anti-Semitism card. It suggests that you are basing your willingness to interpret the situation in a very negative way on the fact it is an Israeli diplomat. Would you feel the same way if it was a Russian diplomat?
edit on 8-1-2017 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Seems to me she was suggesting that she could take politicians down, and if she could, who would he like to see taken down.

Not quite.

Mr Masot asked her: "Can I give you some names of MPs that I would suggest you take down?" Ms Strizzolo replied that all MPs have "something they're trying to hide" and Mr Masot responded by saying "I have some MPs", adding "she knows which MPs I want to take down" before specifying "the deputy foreign minister".

An apology has been given.

"The comments were made by a junior embassy employee who is not an Israeli diplomat, and who will be ending his term of employment with the embassy shortly," it said. "Ambassador Regev on Friday spoke with minister Duncan, apologised for the comments and made clear that the embassy considered the remarks to be completely unacceptable."
www.bbc.co.uk...

So that's OK then.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
When i saw this news this morning i immediately thought "ATS topic!" Unfortunately i'm new so don't have the privilege. Unsurprisingly though, here it is! So, first off thanks for making the thread

Now, i saw this story as quite a biggie really..

I should think a foreign diplomat conspiring to take down members of the British government is not just 'a bit naughty and they should definitely say sorry' but seems to me to be edging towards political sabotage by means of subversion/sedition.
Should this not be seen as a serious offence, up there with treason or espionage?
Attempting to remove dissenting voices within a foreign goverment, and by extension, to have them replaced with assenting ones, seems like a pretty serious breach to me.

There's an ongoing debate about the Russians interfering in american politics (in case you missed it) with calls for serious reprisals for the Russians. Most would agree that IF (big if) the Russians HAD illegally acquired information that was then distributed in an attempt to influence American politics that would be a Very Bad Thing and something ought to be done about it. A reasonable stance i would say.

Now, here we have an Israeli diplomat not only conspiring to "take down" (even going as far as to say that one individual was going to be added to "the hit list"; strong words indeed) MP's whom they regard as having dissenting opinions, but also a tacit admission to previous/ongoing interference and subversion ('i thought we had, you know, already neutralised him..")

I should think that any attempt by a foreign power to influence, manipulate and/or destroy a sitting member, or members, of the British government for their own political gain would be met with the same level of outrage and calls to action as has been seen regarding the Russia/USA matter.
Instead we have a lukewarm condemnation of the individual involved, the apparent immediate acceptance and understanding that (despite working for the Israeli government and representing the Israeli embassy) it was just, like, his opinion or whatever man, and nothing at all to do with Israel's political position.

i'm curious to know what the response would have been if this diplomat had been Russian

Interestingly, this comes off the back of Theresa May condemning the recent speech by John Kerry, which in turn had condemned Israel's continuing expansion and occupation of Palestinian settlements. John Kerry's speech actually garnered widespread international support and, taking into account the recent UN resolution in regard to this matter, for once it would seem there is a willingness to openly acknowledge Israel's part in the ongoing troubles there and the need for Israel to take some responsibility for what is happening (something that is, i'm sure you'd agree, quite rare ).

To further add to an already complex situation, the stance taken by Theresa May putts the UK at odds with the president elect on this matter, as he was strongly opposed to the resolution.

Anyway, i digress...

Tl;Dr: perhaps foreign governments (and their representatives) attempting to manipulate the political climate (in this case by means of subversion), for their own countries political gain, is a matter that ought to be taken very seriously indeed.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Why did he ask her that? It didn't come out of nowhere. Note that we do not have the entire conversation. The reporter must have set him up in order for him to say that. It was a sting, and he fell for it, and he deserved to be recalled.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Now, here we have an Israeli diplomat not only conspiring to "take down" (even going as far as to say that one individual was going to be added to "the hit list"; strong words indeed) MP's whom they regard as having dissenting opinions, but also a tacit admission to previous/ongoing interference and subversion ('i thought we had, you know, already neutralised him..")

Conspiring? Or just fantasizing with someone he took to be sympathetic?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Welcome to ATS Indrasweb and thank you for your contribution.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Well, possibly the latter, there's no absolute proof of conspiring i suppose.

However, referring to where he says "i thought we had already, you know, neutralised him" would suggest that they have already attempted in some way to discretid, manipulate or otherwise silence (or neutrailse if you prefer) the individual in question, and that they believe they have already had some degree of success.
That suggests to me that it has already gone beyond 'fantasising' and that they have taken some real world action against at least one individual and, therefore, were likely discussing future plans to do the same thing to others. Though i may be wrong of course.
edit on 8-1-2017 by Indrasweb because: Edit to add "the individual in question"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join