It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rebecca Ferguson 'graciously accepts' invite to inauguration...if she can sing song about racism

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Why must the racist issue be brought up then. I don't think the battle back and forth is getting us anywhere. I wish people would let it go and move on. But I know that's a snowball's chance.

The racist issue is brought up to keep us divided. The point is for Black people to feel that Black lives don't matter to White people... and for White people to feel like those Black people got what they deserved... and for that narrative to be pushed in the media.

All so that we don't take a good hard look at the real problem: Bad policing -- from the streets all the way to the top. And it's not going anywhere until we stop letting "race" control the narrative.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Tman2135

It would certainly present a quandary to critics falling back on that spurious logic.

And I think that's the first step in changing the narrative -- and is getting us nowhere. Which, I believe, is by design.

Flip side is that I think those critics will still persist...

Sadly, you're right. Some because that's just all they see... and some because they can't have real solutions and have to keep the pot stirred and the masses angry.

... sort of like the way that Black Conservatives or African-Americans who criticize negative aspects of modern African-American culture are labelled as "not really Black."

Yup. But the political elite has worked hard to divide the Black communities, sucking the government teat dry while pretending to "help" them. Has any one government program done more to divide-and-conquer Black communities and all of us than Affirmative Action? "We'll make some of you winners and keep the rest of you losers!" Of course jealousy and resentment and bitterness would be the result.

I have said and continue to maintain that the greatest tragedy of modern American history is the dissolution of the the once unshakable Black family.

In the past, the African-American community was centered around strong family values with strong ties to the church (usually Baptist but also other denominations) held together by the shared/collective traumatic experience of slavery.

Now, there are still plenty of Black families, many of them successful, but it is no longer that way across the board.

Anyone who wants to look deeper in this needs to look at the spike in gangster rap in the early 90s and juxtapose that with the advent of private prisons (the theory being that the music industry helped create criminals to fill these new privately owned prisons).

The saddest part about the Bill Cosby situation is that all of the truth he spoke about the Black community is now invalidated (in the mind of most) due to his sexual misdeeds. In the early 00s he was one of the few prominent African-American voices urging young Black men to raise the children they fathered and demanding that inner-city churches get out and compete with the Nation of Islam as opposed to complaining about their efforts in improving the community.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I have said and continue to maintain that the greatest tragedy of modern American history is the dissolution of the the once unshakable Black family.

In the past, the African-American community was centered around strong family values with strong ties to the church (usually Baptist but also other denominations) held together by the shared/collective traumatic experience of slavery.

Back in the 70s when the Civil Rights Act, etc., were being debated and passed, one of my mom's best friends was a very successful Black lady, and she and my dad discussed politics quite a bit, and she called exactly that way back then... She was right. And I've never forgotten it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

To your earlier comment saying Trump should accept. I disagree. Because if he does, then he's opening a can of worms where even more criticism will be lobbed his way over every word and movement he makes while she is there.

They want the opportunity to lambast the man, so do not open that door! People don't want to open a dialogue, they want any chance they can get to skewer him. People who accept not for the honor of the invitation (FROM THE BLEEPIN PRESIDENT) but for their race-baiting agendas, will not be, and should not be, welcome.

Your comment above me, I am in agreement with re: the Black family's destruction. I was around an on scene when the crack epidemic got a real foothold in our city (as I was one) and truth be told, I am glad I did it then and not now - it was much safer then, I had a couple of close calls but today? Heck no. I'd get raped and shot. It's dangerous out there, stay safe.
edit on 3-1-2017 by thegeneraldisarray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Perspective is everything. "Justifiable" is a subjective term. And what is -- "reality" -- is not necessarily what should be.

What in the hell are you rambling on about?

The song is describing the lynching and hanging of black people that went on in the South, and on a wide scale.

That is not today's reality as a whole in America, or even just in the South. Furthermore, justifiable (a word that I did not use, so I don't know why you have it in quotes) is not nearly as subjective as you are claiming. I do, however, agree that perspective is everything, and many people who would believe that this song is an appropriate metaphor for contemporary America are lacking perspective and living in a bubble-shaped echo chamber.

And "reality" has nothing to do with "what should be," it has to do with what is.

If Trump cannot/will not accept her terms, I would hope that Trump would make a counter offer... that's the art of the deal, right?

But he's not trying to make a deal. A great opportunity for publicity was offered to a runner-up on some second-rate TV show. If she thinks that she's in the position to bargain her terms, I'm willing to bet that she's mistaken.

Trump, however, is always full of surprises, so who knows if he'll counter--and really, who cares? The inauguration doesn't need to be combined with a spectacle, if you ask me. Have the president swear the oath and let him start being a cog in the wheel of running the country. No singers necessary.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That is not today's reality as a whole in America, or even just in the South.

Given that I don't recall any recent lynchings, I would say it's not today's reality at all. Not in whole and not in part. Not in the south, not anywhere.

However, Black men dying at the hands of others without due process still happens frequently. As you well know. You can make whatever arbitrary distinctions you want, and you can also acknowledge and understand the correlation. Your choice. But just because you refuse to do so doesn't mean it isn't reality.

Furthermore, justifiable (a word that I did not use, so I don't know why you have it in quotes) --

Um... because I was speaking to the issue of Black men killed by police without due process and those killings being excused as "justifiable" which is the issue being discussed... not about you.

...is not nearly as subjective as you are claiming.

When a police officer killing anyone is deemed "justified" because he "feared" he "might" be in danger, it's ALL SUBJECTIVE.

I do, however, agree that perspective is everything, and many people who would believe that this song is an appropriate metaphor for contemporary America are lacking perspective and living in a bubble-shaped echo chamber.

Wow. You even know the shape of this intangible echo chamber? You're really good. Do you know the color too???

I wanna play too. Let's see... how about this: The many people who cannot see that this song is an appropriate metaphor to many for contemporary America are lacking perspective and living in a bubble-shaped echo chamber.

And "reality" has nothing to do with "what should be," it has to do with what is.

Well duh.

Here's a little reality for you: Reality is what we've made it. Someone made the rules -- our "reality" -- and someone can change the rules to what should be -- a different "reality."

Here's another reality: Make peaceful revolution impossible, and violent revolution becomes inevitable.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Given that I don't recall any recent lynchings

I can recall several incidents of nooses being displayed, though.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I can recall several incidents of nooses being displayed, though.

Yes... sadly... that is true. And even sadder is that it came from "both" sides. It's a crying shame that a society with unprecedented rights and opportunities and every peaceful advantage to express ourselves and find peaceful solutions, that anyone would resort to that level.

Especially because such cruel lynchings were a very real thing not that long ago -- within my lifetime -- and caused very real pain and repercussions for the ones left behind. You'd think we'd know better.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Imagine how many Libs she'll send to their safe place with that.

Imagine how many Trumptards she will trigger because their beloved has been insulted?
edit on 3-1-2017 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

If I get an invitation to perform at Trump's inauguration ceremony, I want to do an interpretive dance on how great Hillary is.

That's my only condition.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
He should definitely have her sing that.

It would put into perspective the social injustices of the past, and how nothing the supposed Left complains about today can even compare.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

No.

The headlines the day after this song was played at the inauguration would be:

"Trump uses inauguration to threaten African Americans with lynching"

Beat Trump with the racist stick saying he "will not allow a song" then have a fallback plan to call Trump a racist if he does allow the song. Typical media whoring.

(Keep in mind- this year Baby, It's Cold Outside, which was written in 1944, was pulled from the airwaves because it was too "rapey". Imagine how the media could spin the use of Strange Fruit)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Who the hell is she? Never heard of her. I want to here Trumps speech. He's writing it himself you know? Should be epic.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Instead of just saying no, this person want's to use the Presidential Inauguration to draw attention to themselves and for selfish self-promotion reasons. When an entertainer goes controversial, it's all for show IMO and for purely selfish reasons to make themselves the center of attention.

Trump or anyone else who finds themselves in this position should say no. You don't perform a dirge at a celebration.

Odd how performers consider themselves more important than they really are. In this case trying to steal someone elses thunder from 1939.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

No, I don't. For one thing, no one said anything about being "hunted."

Well from the lyrics...

Strange Fruit Lyrics Southern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

And according to the piece the prison was broken into and they were lynched. To me that sound's like they were hunted.

The bigger issue is that this is a Presidential Inauguration; why reopen old wound's? What's to be gained?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If I get an invitation to perform at Trump's inauguration ceremony, I want to do an interpretive dance on how great Hillary is.

That's my only condition.

Haha! I'd let you! I'd even buy a ticket to see that...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
He should definitely have her sing that.

It would put into perspective the social injustices of the past, and how nothing the supposed Left complains about today can even compare.

I think it would be an excellent opportunity for Trump to compare and contrast between the conditions then and now, and shine a light on what has changed and improved since then, what worked and what didn't and what we can still do better. Trump can be Trump. It's about the dialogue, and being willing to listen as well as speak.

It's also a golden opportunity for Trump to expand the discussion beyond "black vs white" and cop vs Joe Q Public to address the underlying/parallel issues facing not just Black Americans but all Americans, such as the economy and educational opportunities and job availability... as he seems to want to do.

Trump can completely change the message and the dynamic starting right here.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Instead of just saying no, this person want's to use the Presidential Inauguration to draw attention to themselves and for selfish self-promotion reasons. When an entertainer goes controversial, it's all for show IMO and for purely selfish reasons to make themselves the center of attention.

Nine times out of ten... maybe even 99 times out of 100... I would agree that it's a publicity stunt. But the thing is in this situation that others put her in this situation by making such a big stink about saying "no" and demanding others boycott as well. She's a newcomer to the scene, and that's a whole lot of pressure on her to conform -- at the risk of her future success. For that reason, I do believe that she is trying to take a principled stand -- as misguided as it may be.

Trump or anyone else who finds themselves in this position should say no. You don't perform a dirge at a celebration.

That's very true, and one of the reasons I don't like the choice... but I can put myself in her position and understand why she might.

I don't think Trump should say no. I think Trump should do Trump and we'll just have to think what we will. But he has a way of tweaking things and presenting a totally new perspective on old issues. I'm hoping he'll surprise us with some grand gesture to set the establishment on its ears...

Odd how performers consider themselves more important than they really are. In this case trying to steal someone elses thunder from 1939.

Haha! I thought you were talking about stealing Trump's thunder! Haha on me...

No one can steal Billie's thunder. Nope. Just can't happen!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The bigger issue is that this is a Presidential Inauguration...

Yes, and it's our inauguration -- paid for by our tax dollars -- for the president we elected. He is everyone's president and everyone can make the statement they want to make.

why reopen old wound's?

These are not old wounds to many, but fresh wounds.

What's to be gained?

I cannot speak for her. For myself, trust in our new president that he will be a president for all people, that he does want to find new answers for old problems, that he will work for us and with us... in other words, that all lives really do matter.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
She has a fab voice.
She is a Legal Secretary.
She's a sassy lady from Liverpool.

Not sure this was one of her better moves, but it's certainly getting media attention.

A singer/songwriter she does pick controversial subjects for her songs

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join