It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logic Versus Intuition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
In my experience, everyone relies on both logic and intuition. How do you balance them?

I usually use logic to determine what is outside of me, and I tend to rely on intuition to determine what to do about it. A simple example is looking out a window to determine what the weather is like. I can see what other people are wearing, I can open the window to feel the temperature of the air, and I can check the weather report. I have to use inductive logic to make a decision about how much clothing I'll need to wear. An example of where intuition would come into this picture for me would be if I had to make a decision about whether to wear a coat or not. I can't describe in words how that works. I can just feel whether or not wearing a coat on that day seems right.

In the winter where I live, I know that I'll need to wear a lot of clothing when I go out every day. I'm still using a combination of inductive logic and intuition as I just described, but the result of that during the winter is always the same for me. I will need to wear a coat when I go out 100% of the time throughout the winter.

I'm constantly using a balance of logic and intuition such as what I just described to make decisions.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
In my experience, everyone relies on both logic and intuition. How do you balance them?

Logic is very limited, built on a limited house of cards...
It's value is in it's pragmatic application, and the mental orgasms from the mental masturbation.
Logic is based on 'duality', an 'appearance', nothing more!
There is the rattling train of thought (logic) that often finds itself on a dead siding;
Intuition, on the other hand, is never wrong!
It transcends logic' and 'linear thought'.

edit on 31-12-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

It's value is in it's pragmatic application, and the mental orgasms from the mental masturbation.
logic is based on 'duality', an 'appearance', nothing more!

Science and medicine are built on logic. Doctors use a logical analysis to determine what is wrong with their patients. When a doctor saves someone's life, we have logic to thank for it. We can thank logic for almost all the technology we have. From a scientific point of view, we can thank logic for all of the understanding we have about the nature of reality.

If you're going to claim that intuition tells us more about reality than logic does, I want to know what evidence you have for that claim.

For example, I don't doubt that there are gifted psychics whose intuition has led to some amazing things. However, those cases are nothing compared to what logic has done in terms of the progress of humanity.
edit on 31-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I guess I'd have to say I agree. I rely on both. They compliment each other. They check each others weaknesses. They have their different strengths.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

what utter twaddle-intuition told most people who met him that "ted bundy was a nice bloke"

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Logic - Deductive reasoning
Intuition - Inductive reasoning (logic)
2 sides of the same coin

Deductive logic -what the weather is now
Inductive logic - planning for what is assumed the weather will be

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
They are like a horse and carriage they work together for me, the idea of balance is when we dont let either of them take full command.a reply to: Profusion

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

Agree.
Reminds me of the Japanese concept of "Mind of no mind" known in the western world by the general term "zen"

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I agree that we use both Logic and Intuition. Ancient Thunder's post gets it right (I believe) when he said that, as long as we do not entirely rely on one , we are effectively doing the balancing.

I like to take the interplay between Logic and Intuition to a completely different level. For me , it is all beautifully mapped on the polarity of the Qabalistic Tree of Life. At whichever level of the Tree we work on , it is the same interplay between Force and Form.(between Wisdom and Understanding or Wisdom and Knowledge , if you prefer). On the lower level , between Reason and Intuition.

However, we are the helmsman. The Wisdom/Intuition is like the wind and the Knowledge/Logic is like the sail.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I disagree with the Bundy example. That would be logic based. Based on past experiences, social norms and 'logical' assumptions.

Intuition, on the other hand, would have been having a hint of his true character despite the apparent normality of his conduct.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I believe you marginalize true intuition.

Inductive logic is valid. I believe intuition by-passes the mechanics of 'logic' and arrives at the same or similar conclusion as inductive logic.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Intuition can come from subconscious knowledge, something we all have. We know way more than we think we know. Our subconscious interacts with our consciousness and can give us a heads up of something that is going to happen. Our subconscious may also be able to communicate with others subconscious to actually form a preview of a newly forming reality. Others often know things that we do not know, they may even be planning to do something and we can get insider information through a subconscious link.

Most intuition is formed by wisdom we do not know we possess, our subconscious remembers things that we have heard and observed yet our conscious was too busy to make a memory of it and is not that good at evaluating the highly processed intuition. So since our subconscious knows how simple we are, it just says, don't go there today, I will blind you so you can't find your keys on the table.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I believe logic is substantiated facts used to come to some irrefutable conclusion or definition.

And intuition is the gut-feeling that something or someone is factually true...or not..without the facts to substantiate them. Whereas logic can be flawed, so can intuition.

I've been a "sensitive" my whole life as has been my mother, grandfather and great-grandfather. My intuition is usually dead-on...but using LOGIC...I would be foolish to accept it such 110%...So, I dont.

I may intuitively know and believe Im right on something...but logic tells me to always assume there is another side, or point to be made making it contrary to my "sensitivity".

That being said...I always trust my intuitiveness...because Im usually correct on my feelings...With or without "logic".

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Logic do not have to be versus intuition.

With a view that is big enough, intuition will be understood logically as a manifestation of sensory input of an entangled creation.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

what utter twaddle-intuition told most people who met him that "ted bundy was a nice bloke"

Did you want to discuss something, or just offer your knee-jerk reaction as 'dismissal'?

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

logic is based on 'duality', an 'appearance', nothing more!

From a scientific point of view, we can thank logic for all of the understanding we have about the nature of reality.

And all those 'understandings' seem to have 'expiration dates'!
When science offers new 'understandings', until...
Very few true Universal Laws were arrived at 'logically', very few quantum leaps of human 'knowledge'.
You are so mistaken, logically speaking, all means of knowing, all 'sciences' are feeder branches on the tree of philosophy!
Philosophy offers science directions and prevents huge wasting of time, by examining the 'premises' that scientists are incapable of doing.
And that which informs philosophy, along with science, is intuition and imagination. (Ever hear what Einstein had to say about intuition and imagination? Of more value than train-of-thought logic!)

If you're going to claim that intuition tells us more about reality than logic does, I want to know what evidence you have for that claim.

You know, I have read and re-read my post and nowhere have I said that intuition teaches us MORE of Reality than 'logic'.
I just said that (real) intuition is never wrong.
Logic, without knowledge, is often wrong.
Knowledge = experience!
(to experience logical thought is just knowledge of logical thoughts!)
Intuition is experience of the sought after 'answer' (going there directly), and not riding on the ricketty train of thought...
Another way of Knowing.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

yes - lets discuss how those who met ted bundy an lived - dismally failed to spot his true nature

thats a massive failing for " intuition "

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

yes - lets discuss how those who met ted bundy an lived - dismally failed to spot his true nature

thats a massive failing for " intuition "

I'd be happy to spell it out for you.
First, no matter who the 'horrible perp' is, there are people who met him when he was not being a horrible perp.
The person that they met appeared 'nice'.
Was 'nice'.
Who and what we are manifests each and every moment of our 'lives'!
Sometimes we manifest healers, sometimes, murderers.
We all have all of humanity within, being human, we all have the monster within.
We also have the 'niceness' and even the Love!
Depending on when one is perceived, the feature of the moment is perceived.
Sometimes the 'monster' is just such a 'tiny' component, that it really doesn't show it's face, or if it does, is 'acceptable'.

You are not using 'intuition' when judging someone on appearances.

Calling someone's future misdeeds is not 'intuition', it is ESP, it is Knowledge of the Here/Now!! Another Here! Now!
When you want the 'answer' to the 'question', intuition is immediate access.
Capisce'?

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Zen validates the intuitive. "Without thought" or "Mind without Mind"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin_(mental_state)

en.wikipedia.org...(mental_state)

edit on 1-1-2017 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

u am using the concept of " intuition " that a vast majority of people use - if you want to demand that we only use the definition you dictate - then hey - have fun - in your echo chamber

top topics

<<   2 >>

join