It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, U.S. officials say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: visitedbythem
FAKE NEWS

This is another prong of the boy obamas attack. This is him banging on his highchair tray. BOOHOOOO

Poor losers are still losers

So fake we have known about people hacking our power grid for years and has been reported on for years!

The game is this:

Anything you personally disagree with that doesn't fit "your side's" agenda is "fake news" and anything that DOES fit your side's agenda is GOD'S TRUTH no matter how ridiculous.

Russia involved in hacking the US? It goes against Trump therefore it must be a lie regardless of facts presented. The fact our grid has been hacked before and IS and Has been a target becomes irrelevant.

See? Fun and fact-free game where you never lose because the goal isn't to deny ignorance but to obfuscate anything that doesn't fit the "deeply felt fact free truth."

And, here is the really fun part, they can do this because the Intelligence Services involved can't simply give Presidential level briefings to all of America to prove to us what they are saying is the truth. Add the distrust and hatred of what was once a trusted middleman on the front lines, the American Journalist, we get instant denial and conspiracy theory of how the US Government is lying about Russia because Trump.

It would be humorous if it wasn't so freaking dangerous.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think that there is an update to your story...
maybe... I couldn't follow the link you posted but know the story has been changed a slight bit..
a laptop was found to be carrying the virus or whatever you want to call it. they don't believe that it managed to connect to the main computers to spread to the control of the grid...
probably could have worded it better but..
here is the link

link

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I sure hope that the Smith Mundt act can be reinstated to prevent these obviously fake news stories from being perpetuated by what was once considered a top notch newspaper...

Here's Glenn Greenwald's take on yesterday's hoax by the WaPO...

Russia Hysteria Infects WashPost Again: False Story About Hacking U.S. Electric Grid

The Washington Post on Friday reported a genuinely alarming event: Russian hackers have penetrated the U.S. power system through an electrical grid in Vermont. The Post headline conveyed the seriousness of the threat:

The first sentence of the article directly linked this cyberattack to alleged Russian hacking of the email accounts of the DNC and John Podesta — what is now routinely referred to as “Russian hacking of our election” — by referencing the code name revealed on Wednesday by the Obama administration when it announced sanctions on Russian officials: “A code associated with the Russian hacking operation dubbed Grizzly Steppe by the Obama administration has been detected within the system of a Vermont utility, according to U.S. officials.”

edit on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 15:59:36 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: schuyler

They don't connect command and control systems directly to the internet. However that doesn't mean a program cant get on the system either so there very well could be a Russian program on the internal network its happened before.

www.reuters.com...

Everything has to connect using the internet. They use a separate network called an intranet . These intranets use their own infrastructure (DNS , DHCP , servers , etc.) . They are basically "isolated" within the internet as they are their own ISP.

Is that what the Clintons were using?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: schuyler

They don't connect command and control systems directly to the internet. However that doesn't mean a program cant get on the system either so there very well could be a Russian program on the internal network its happened before.

www.reuters.com...

Everything has to connect using the internet. They use a separate network called an intranet . These intranets use their own infrastructure (DNS , DHCP , servers , etc.) . They are basically "isolated" within the internet as they are their own ISP.

Is that what the Clintons were using?

No.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: xuenchen
This is another story to press the "Russian" meme.

according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter

People keep reading enough stories and it triggers the uncontrollable urge to automatically believe the Russian election hacking theories are all true.

Somebody is really pushing this hard.

Except, of course, if it isn't a "meme" and is the truth? Wouldn't you be working against America right now by insisting it's a fake story?

Tell me, xu, what do you gain by willfully ignoring a threat to the United States? Aren't you guys supposed to be the hyper-vigilant ones who would rather stop immigration of an entire religion to the US rather than risk one radical getting through? Why no vigilance towards Putin and the Russians?

You think we are actually "friends" with them??? Are you that naive???

Good Lord.

So our own Intelligence Services are the enemy to our own country and Russia is now the good guys.

That's some kind of crazy you are all dealing in. And dangerous too.

(make it a vodka)

Like I said many times.....I totally agree that we should be concerned if Russia was/is involved in hacking the U.S., but until there is some proof then it's just looking like another "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction trust us" angle to me.

This really is just a great way for Obama to put a cherry on top of of his 8 years of failed foreign policies with Russia.

I think we deserve a better explanation than "we got proof but we aren't going to show you for security reasons. You are just going to have to trust us." That didn't work when they told us the same thing about "weapons of mass destruction " and thousands of U.S. citizens died as a result.

And I can give you another thousand examples of why we shouldn't just blindly trust our government, as you can see it can be very dangerous to our citizens.

So much for Obama's transparency....Good riddance Obama.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join