It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you hold artist's political views against them?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I hold everyone's views against them

Which is a shame really because the opposite of that is what I'd like to be.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
axel rose - cos he is in my poinion one of the top 10 living guitar players

Wut?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I try not to follow artists generally.

I mean I could half hazard a guess at what the political leanings are of bands/singers I like but I don't go out of my way or anything.

I love Oasis but do I heck act like any of the Gallagher brothers.

Love Johnny Cash even like some of his Christian songs but it's generally water off this duck's back.

Some people treat celebrities like their best friend, the reality is you don't know them so why get so offended when they share an opinion...

I love Guinness too, when Saint Patrick's day comes around I don't feel inclined to sport green or even drink the black stuff.

Maybe I'm a weirdo... Always thought I was the normal one ha!

In short no, I don't care. I just enjoy their work.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

err oops - yeah - not enough sleep or coffee - no time to sleep - but 2nd coffee pot on the way - plus chocolate cake TFW

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
I hold everyone's views against them

Which is a shame really because the opposite of that is what I'd like to be.

Hey, you are the most honest person in this thread. Kudos.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: wheresthebody

err oops - yeah - not enough sleep or coffee - no time to sleep - but 2nd coffee pot on the way - plus chocolate cake TFW

Was gonna say, I wasn't aware he played the guitar. Send you private msg about axel btw.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I don't have any problem with an artist having political views, and wouldn't hold their views against them. But I don't think that's the real issue. It's when those artists try to force their political views on their audience. Or, even worse, use their celebrity to insult and demean their audience.

For example, several years ago, during the Bush/Gore election if I remember correctly, Linda Ronstadt interjected politics and her support of Gore into her performance... and her ticket-buying audience was not happy about. They spent their hard-earned dollars on seeing a concert -- not a campaign rally.

At least when the Hamilton cast addressed Mike Pence, they did so AFTER their performance, so anyone who did not want to hear it was free to leave the venue without throwing away the entertainment they bought and paid for.

There's more to it than an artist simply having an opinion. Like anyone and everyone, it's more about how and when they express their political views.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Ed Zachary!

2nd

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Just because someone is a good musician,doesn't mean they are good at anything else,they make dumb decisions,more apt to get publicity from overdosing,or going to rehab,more up their alley IMO

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Just because someone is a good musician,doesn't mean they are good at anything else,they make dumb decisions,more apt to get publicity from overdosing,or going to rehab,more up their alley IMO

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If they are asked, and they politely say who they support, then no. When they have a large audience who came to see their show and they rant, then yes, I mind.
And if they do a commercial spot calling a candidate a P!$$y, or ask electors to defect, then I really despise them and hope they lose 50% of their fan base for it.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryproctologist

"Do you hold artist's political views against them?"

If they are liberals -hating America and the freedoms that we enjoy - then absolutely and in every case.

That's one major what's wrong with American politics.
The very word "liberal" means freely. Free. Free-ish.
Real liberal people (apparently not Americans) want freedom for themselves and everyone else.

On topic- who cares what other people's political views are, as long as they're not hurting anyone.
What matters is how they treat others. No matter what their political affiliation, if they're jerks, they're jerks. If they're nice, they're nice.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

But. . .but. . . but Katy told me I was a "Firework".

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In general no, I can overlook the personal views of an artist whose work product I enjoy.

The exceptions are when they take action against an unalienable right of mine or are a hypocrite. Then I will go out of my way to ensure that none of my money goes to support them.

Examples: Matt Damon and Sly Stallone have been very anti-2nd Amendment. But they have no problem portraying characters who kill lots of bad guys with guns...

Since they're hypocrites, they receive no money from me.

An opinion is one thing, direct action is another.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Don't you mean "Slash"?

On Topic....No. Their opinion means no more than mine or anyone else's, they just have more opportunity to voice their's to a wider audience. Although, they do seem to consider their opinion to be special in some way and the sad part is, so do many others.

I can't agree with you more. They live in an environment where they are told that they are geniuses and gifted. Their perspective are often not logical or well thought out. They live in a "feel good" world...do whatever feels good or right. Their world is selfish not selfless!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Guns and Roses ?

Hell after decades of drug abuse hard saying how many brain cells they killed.

Wouldn't listen to them.

Don't listen to Actors or Actress's.

Don't listen to musicians.

Their OPINIONS are no more important than anyone elses.

edit on 27-12-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
She claimed she was awake.

She proved by her actions that wide awake means a very different thing to her.

There are souls that sing greater and are wiser and really are awake that I can listen to.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
No, it's absolutely stupid to do so. Why people think that celebrities don't have the same rights to espouse their political views is beyond me. People who get bent out of shape because this or that celebrity has a political view they disagree with are seriously flawed people.

Your views are your views. I won't ever hold that against you. My views are my views. Ted Nugent's views are his views, although he apparently only likes people who bow down to his views.

Whatever.

I once met a guy who proclaimed he could never be friends with anyone whose political or religious views didn't fall in line with his own. That right there is some major missing brain development or mental disorder.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

You mean like Jane Fonda, aka Hanoi Jane?

When they use their fame for political issues, You Bet!

Morgan Freeman....you lost me in 2016. No biggie to you. But I feel better about myself.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I dont...until they run their mouths... then they get whats coming to them. Like the "artist" that wants Trumps daughter to take down his artwork.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join