It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit - 6 months on...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
a reply to: Soloprotocol
I was thinking it could be good for you Scots, you know making ships and the like. What about all the deep sea oil platforms that will need building, all the Royal Navy ships (; and subs, loads of engineering products allied to these production facilities. Why can't we in the UK just build are own boats, look at all the cruise liners that are built abroad surely Britain can make these again and still pay more than 50p?

Yeah, i'm sure you had the Scots best interest at heart. And the answer to your quetion if you are indeed being serious is No..No we cant compete with those ship builders abroad unless we work for £2.50 an hour, 15 hour shifts and no tea breaks. As i touched on earlier, the Uk Government would love nothing more than this scenario to eventually play out though.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Sure I got the Scottish interests at heart, they are an important factor in getting the UK competitive again and have expertise in the shipbuilding and engineering world that can't be beaten if they get the go ahead to start making them ships again. What's wrong with getting Scots to start building all these mega liners that operate from British companies and ports? With a demise in financial servies then the government will have to find a new way of creating wealth, if that means letting people build ships again then good news for all. Why do we need ships built in Finland, Korea etc? There needs to be a new policy of looking after our own here in the UK, you may well find that Brexit forces our government to 'encourage' domestic production once again. Solo for centuries we manufactured masses of products here in the UK, we can do it again, ideed we are doing it right now and much more can be made here but a path forwarsd has got to come from our rulers that promises inverstors that they will not have the rug pulled from under them with a simple change of government, there needs to be a consistent promise to investors that domestic production will always be the preferred option while at the same time we will not tolerate any strangulation corps like Bae Systems who have us by the goolies as tax payers. There needs to be a new way.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

we can do it again, ideed we are doing it right now and much more can be made here but a path forwarsd has got to come from our rulers that promises inverstors that they will not have the rug pulled from under them with a simple change of government, there needs to be a consistent promise to investors that domestic production will always be the preferred option while at the same time we will not tolerate any strangulation corps like Bae Systems who have us by the goolies as tax payers. There needs to be a new way.

We need to take a leaf out of Donald Trumps book!...He tweeted

#Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future Presidents .... but

costs are out of control, more than 4 billion - #Cancel order-

He later added

#The cost is totally out of control, its ridiculous I think Boeing is doing

a bit of a number. We want Boeing to make a lot of money, just not that much

Now that we have Brexit the UK government wants to take note, and put all those

large over indulged conglomerates, rail companies, H2O's, Bankers etc. in their place

a la President Trump.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 28-12-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

You are writing about a change of heart in a very heartless world. The relentless race for profits is here to stay. Unless you are a Marxist.. the use of tax breaks was tried in Ireland back in the 80s. The companies had tax breaks for four years...Guess what happened three years and nine months after the foreign businesses opened? Hint they were called "Mushroom Businesses".

It is fine t chat here but the Government had no plans and are playing it cool but the problem is still there. I believe there will be winners and losers which ever way. There will also be a period of financial crisis. That was why I voted remain. It wwill be harder for the poor.

What about food?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

we can do it again, ideed we are doing it right now and much more can be made here but a path forwarsd has got to come from our rulers that promises inverstors that they will not have the rug pulled from under them with a simple change of government, there needs to be a consistent promise to investors that domestic production will always be the preferred option while at the same time we will not tolerate any strangulation corps like Bae Systems who have us by the goolies as tax payers. There needs to be a new way.

We need to take a leaf out of Donald Trumps book!...He tweeted

#Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future Presidents .... but

costs are out of control, more than 4 billion - #Cancel order-

He later added

#The cost is totally out of control, its ridiculous I think Boeing is doing

a bit of a number. We want Boeing to make a lot of money, just not that much

Now that we have Brexit the UK government wants to take note, and put all those

large over indulged conglomerates, rail companies, H2O's, Bankers etc. in their place

a la President Trump.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

You dont really have much of a clue as to how Westminster and London finance in particular works do you.?

ps, The only thing i would take from Donald Trump's book would be the foreword and pages 1-4 to use as arsewipe.
edit on 29-12-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

So many big companies are upto their eyeballs with links to the rulers of our state, just like the Boeing example you provided to milk off us hard working taxpayers. A revolution is needed, not in a physical sense but a mental one whereby honesty is brought into pay in the the government circles and those same people actually go out to do good for us and get to help out us the people instead of buttering the bread for the CEOs in oredr to rip us of left right and centre. If you one long white loaf and it gets buttered for a table equally spread by the person holding the knife and given round the table to each person fairly then everybody enjoys their meal and is full but these types of politicians aren't spreading the butter fairly, indeed some bread is virtually unbuttered at all yet the recpients still have to chew that dry bread and it is acheful to the jaw and so hard to swallow. Things will change they will have to, let's see what trump can do and see if it follows to us a bit later.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
That was why I voted remain. It wwill be harder for the poor.

Yeah voted remain too Tiger, couldn't believe it when the BREXIT vote was announced. Still that's what the majority (of voters) wanted, got to go with it now. Scary times ahead, but the caning of the pound may offer a real chance to make our products more competitive, too crap though if you need to buy stuff off the EU to make your products and we were so intertwined that you can't really sttae 'oh it's made in Portugal, UK, Germany, Czech, France' anymore, everything has become a joint effort of suppliers from around the EU but where is that going to leave us post EU? We can't tool up here in the UK to make much of what comes from the continent, in many cases we lost the supply base 20 years ago in addition to which all those with the skills are now moved on/retired so it will be very difficult. Do agree with your Marxist comment, we should be capping certain areas of wealth where it just gets silly as the others suffer for this, when you see game zone and the lions are there one lion doesn't need to eat the value of 20000 times the other lions that lion will be capped by other lions but in our state thse lions can get away with domination, don't get me wrong Britain is an amazingly wealthy country like most western states and a great place to live but there should be a semi redistribution of wealth as that is what capitalism has earned this nation and why not let everyon share in the fruits of the centuries of wealth creation. This doesn't apply to anyone who is lazy btw, in the new order the lazy will be transported out of the UK to a desert island called Jeremy Kyleland where they can learn to stand on their own two feet and swapped for the people who want to work.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

Brexit is indeed 6 months on, and not a working or even tangible departure plan in sight.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

So many big companies are upto their eyeballs with links to the rulers of our state, just like the Boeing example you provided to milk off us hard working taxpayers.

Precisely why I applaud Donald Trump for telling them (Boeing) to "get lost"

A revolution is needed, not in a physical sense but a mental one whereby honesty is brought into pay in the the government circles and those same people actually go out to do good for us and get to help out us the people instead of buttering the bread for the CEOs in oredr to rip us of left right and centre. If you one long white loaf and it gets buttered for a table equally spread by the person holding the knife and given round the table to each person fairly then everybody enjoys their meal and is full but these types of politicians aren't spreading the butter fairly, indeed some bread is virtually unbuttered at all yet the recpients still have to chew that dry bread and it is acheful to the jaw and so hard to swallow. Things will change they will have to, let's see what trump can do and see if it follows to us a bit later.

Exactly why I voted to leave
Leaving the EU is the start of a revolution.

Remove the fat cat eurocrats noses out of the trough.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

It gonna be interesting if the pound can be forced down to silly weakness say halve its value. Send down the pound and watch Britain flower, whole sectors regions of our state will blossom. It really won't take too much to rebalance things, a weak pound along with the robot revolution can make us dominant again in so many sectors. It's really not that hard to hear the cotton mills of Manchester throbbing with noise again, and the like all over the UK, even the Scots will be happy again as they will be fine to build loads of ships again. There will only be needed tariffs against slave asian stuff that is made on an unfair plaing field. I would say 88% tariff on all imports from China, Vietnam, also make them show they are paying for cleaning up their dire conditions and polution/red tape. If they want to trade they gotta play it fair or shut those Chinese out. Total brick em in, build a wall around the Chinese economy and shut them out absolutely totally.
Question - Did we need China/Chinese people when years ago Britain like America was great? Simple answer is no! We were much better off without China, they are like a plague, a Commie plague that has torn the guts out of our ancient working communities here in the West. A few folk have made fortunes from bringing over their junk but it has killed off millions of our own jobs here in the west. Time to rid the world of dealing with China, it's all a Commie plot to destroy our societies and this needs sorting before it completes its intended plot. On a business level Chinese are shady as they come, they can't keep their worrd and will copy and cheat their way to destroy our domestic producers. It doesn't have to be this way, the very product stamp 'Made in PRC/China' should be understood as a threat to our societies/lives.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Brexit is indeed 6 months on, and not a working or even tangible departure plan in sight.

Negotiating deals is a bit like a game of 'poker' .... Ii would be stupid to let others

know what cards you are holding in your hand?

And as with an iceberg 90% is hidden before the impact!!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

What about the fat cats already here through?

Seems to me the UK implementing Brexit will do little or nothing to elevate or remove the issues we face as a nation pertaining to the uneven distribution of wealth already in place.

Not saying its not a good idea to depart the sinking ship that is the European Union but the life boat we are getting into is full of holes.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

What about the fat cats already here through?

Seems to me the UK implementing Brexit will do little or nothing to elevate or remove the issues we face as a nation pertaining to the uneven distribution of wealth already in place.

Not saying its not a good idea to depart the sinking ship that is the European Union but the life boat we are getting into is full of holes.

ONE thing at a time ..... ' Rome wasn't built in a day.'

When we have got rid of the EU fat cats, We as a nation must show our own

fat cat's and corrupt leaders that we aren't prepared to put up with them

we can vote them out as quick as we voted them in.

If they wish to stay in power listen to the people, they are turning

you can already see the dissatisfaction happening in other countries?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I agree with some of what you have said but when have "they" ever really listened to the will of the people?

Its all a dog and pony show, simple window dressing for the masses while the real culprits behind the curtain remain in control aka the bankers and there political puppets.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I like speaking in allegories, so here's one.
In the UK we have a lot of clubs, tennis clubs, cricket clubs, working mens clubs, liberal clubs etc. etc.
Now pretend that you have given up membership of say a tennis club, then you stand outside saying you want the benefits of a club member. Now I know what their reply would be to you "either join the club or go away". Now think on that allegry a moment and tell me just what do you want off the EU?
I'll tell you what your really going to. It will be scraps from their table. If you honestly think that the EU is going to give you what you want then you are sadly mistaken and I really think that is why Ms May does not want to trigger brexit because she knows that the UK has absolutely no chance of getting a good deal.
Now with that in mind we come to the real reason for this reply. DON'T YOU DARE ever say "they are punishing us for leaving" or "they are being awkward with us" or any other mealy mouthed excuse blaming other countries or people.
WE voted out, we brought this on ourselves and we have to live with the consequences.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Can anyone please explain one thing to me. If sterling falls it would be good for exports but what of imports given that Britain imports 40% of the food it consumes. Many in the UK have no had pay rises in YEARS.
The Brexiteers one the vote but they still have to possibly go through the Courts which may deem it a democratic move to debate this in Parliament which is also a democratic institution.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Totally bang on
There can be no soft Brexit expected from Brits out there, no special deal or third way handed to us by Brussels. The majority of voters have forced us out of the EU and now it's time to learn to live with it. From an EU perspective the Brits were never proper members anyway, always on the fringes and not going full hog on entering ourselves into the monetary system. We were always the weak link and now any tolerance towards us as a special case will give the green light for other EU members to go their own way. Totally insane situation in my opinion and one that is going to cause major issues for us in the UK. Sure it's great to be in control of our own laws again, we were always getting stitched up by Brussels beaurocrats, but when it comes to the economy there is going to be a very uncertain time ahead. The sea is going to be changeable with flat periods, then stormy seas, high tides followed by low tides with possible great big oil spills from tankers crashing and that oil may well find its way onto our beaches and pollute them for decades to come. Six months on Europe is still located in the same place it always was, it's right next door to us and it's not going anywhere, but trading with it is going to become a whole new experience.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
Can anyone please explain one thing to me. If sterling falls it would be good for exports but what of imports given that Britain imports 40% of the food it consumes. Many in the UK have no had pay rises in YEARS.

You aint kiiding, I'm on on third of what I was on in the good times and work loads harder for it. Not the only one there are loads out there I've heard say just the same.
On the food front surely we can make more food here in the UK. When you visit Aldi so much of their food is made on the Continent, maybe it's time they started buying more from our farmers. All the German salami in those stores! We need a full on 'Buy British' campaign and start buying Lincolnshire sausage.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I like speaking in allegories, so here's one.
In the UK we have a lot of clubs, tennis clubs, cricket clubs, working mens clubs, liberal clubs etc. etc.
Now pretend that you have given up membership of say a tennis club, then you stand outside saying you want the benefits of a club member. Now I know what their reply would be to you "either join the club or go away".

Why would you leave a club and then beg for benefits/scraps you left

for a reason.... find some pride find another club, you may get a supprise

and find new resources and realise you had been stagnating in the old club!

Time for change?

Now think on that allegry a moment and tell me just what do you want off the EU?

Nothing!!!

What part of OUT do the remainers not understand?

I'll tell you what your really going to. It will be scraps from their table. If you honestly think that the EU is going to give you what you want then you are sadly mistaken and I really think that is why Ms May does not want to trigger brexit because she knows that the UK has absolutely no chance of getting a good deal.

We don't want a 'deal' we have seen the deals David Cameron and

Tony Blair came away with.

We will negotiate to OUR benefit.

Mrs May knows she is done for if she messes up.I can see the beginnings of

maybe ... An iron fist in a velvet glove?

Now with that in mind we come to the real reason for this reply. DON'T YOU DARE ever say "they are punishing us for
leaving" or "they are being awkward with us" or any other mealy mouthed excuse blaming other countries or people.
WE voted out, we brought this on ourselves and we have to live with the consequences.

Where is the optimism and entrepreneurship the people of this country

once had ? We dont have to accept any punishment from the EU they

are 'whistling in the dark' the EU is crumbling..... I for one dont want to

crumble with them.

I who predicted the results of the #Scottish referendum, #the last election

#Brexit and #President Trump ..... am very happy to live with any consequences.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Why would you leave a club and beg for benefits? Well we've left the EU club and Ms May IS going to beg for benefits.
We want nothing off the EU? Really wake up and smell the roses.
We will negotiate for our benefit? Negotiation means you have to have something to negotiate with and we will not be in the club so they can just say "take a hike".
As for British optimism, we haven't got any, we are always left to the vagaries of our government. And the same answer for entrepreneurship when our government sells us down the river to the highest bidder and f*** the British workforce and businesses.
The UK at the moment has no big businesses (please don't mention BAE as it's uniquely for the British military ) all the big businesses are foreign owned, we are an island of service industries but the kill comes when you understand that we are used to service Europe.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join