It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The latest assault on internet freedom

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Americans are complaining against the assault on "fake news," feeling that it is a form of government censorship. It's defenders argue that too many individuals are incapable of exercising critical thinking, and that it is necessary for the media to provide guidelines or the state may need to step in. This would be necessary because access to information is vital for the healthy functioning of society. The counter argument is that absolute freedom of expression is equally vital to provide the necessary "market of ideas." Americans are fortunate that they are able to even have this debate. Here is a presidential order that will have a chilling effect as it comes into effect. [Edits and emphasis mine. --DJW001]:

IV. Strategic objectives and guidelines to ensure information security

20. The strategic goal of providing information in the area of ​​national defense is to protect the vital important interests of the individual, society and state from internal and external threats involving the use of information technology in politico-military purposes contrary to international law, including for the purposes of hostilities and acts of aggression against sovereignty,the violation of the territorial integrity of states, and threats to international peace, security and strategic stability.

21. In accordance with...military policy... the main directions of information security in the national defense area are:
a) strategic deterrence and prevention of military Conflicts that may arise as a result of information technologies;
b) improving the provision of information system security...
c) forecasting, detection and evaluation of information threats...
d) promote the protection of the interests of Allies...
d) neutralization of information and psychological impact, including those aimed at undermining the foundations and historical patriotic traditions associated with the defense of the [Homeland].

[Large edit. Gist: Protecting national sovereignty. --DJW001]

23. The main directions of ensuring information in the field of public security and public safety are:
a) opposition to the use of information technology for Extremist ideology propaganda of xenophobia, ideas of national exclusivity in order to undermine sovereignty, political and social stability, enforced changes to the constitutional order ,or violation of territorial integrity
b) suppression of activities that are detrimental to national security... carried out with the use of hardware and information technologies with special services and organizations of foreign states, as well as individual persons;

[The rest of the order deals with "hardening" the information infrastructure. --DJW001]

Link to original document.

This sounds like a direct attempt to censor anything that does not conform to a narrow definition of the "status quo." Why haven't Infowars, globalresearch or RT made more of this story? Someone, please tell me this is fake news!
edit on 9-12-2016 by DJW001 because: Edit to polish translation. --DJW01

edit on 9-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

So where and when is this going to come into effect ..

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

d) neutralization of information and psychological impact, including those aimed at undermining the foundations and historical patriotic traditions associated with the defense of the [Homeland].

*raises eyebrows*

Sounds like a Dictatorship to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yeah, spy on people whenever they want, censor the internet whenever they want, cry 'terrorism' as the excuse as they sell weapons around the globe. Undermine the sovereignty of other governments around the world, sell wars by lying through their teeth.

These people are seriously out of control

link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

So where and when is this going to come into effect ..

Click on the link. It is effective immediately.

link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel

*raises eyebrows*

Sounds like a Dictatorship to me.

It is.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Yeah, spy on people whenever they want, censor the internet whenever they want, cry 'terrorism' as the excuse as they sell weapons around the globe. Undermine the sovereignty of other governments around the world, sell wars by lying through their teeth.

These people are seriously out of control

I agree completely.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

There is no "internet freedom", only the illusion of.

Almost every site you go to have T&Cs or guidelines which take away certain "freedoms". Be it language, illicit pictures or whatever.

The internet isn't as "free" as people think it is, it just appears that way.
edit on 9122016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

what is the source or where did it come from . I notice it has a Russian mark to it but is it a official document and if so has it been released to the public ....what news source is reporting on it ..

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

what is the source or where did it come from . I notice it has a Russian mark to it but is it a official document and if so has it been released to the public ....what news source is reporting on it ..

Here is another link:

publication.pravo.gov.ru...

For some reason, the Russian media are not reporting on it:

sputniknews.com...

Why do you think that is?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Almost every site you go to have T&Cs or guidelines which take away certain "freedoms". Be it language, illicit pictures or whatever.

But you are still free to go to the ones that don't have rules.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

But you are still free to go to the ones that don't have rules.

I can't think of any sites that doesn't have at least 1 rule (if it's a site you can communicate through or post on).

Also, some sites that have lax rules then leave the members up to the rules of law (which would still mean it's not a freedom).
edit on 9122016 by TerryDon79 because: Excuse the edits. Trying to make my point clearer

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Maybe there is not much to it .Maybe they will in time when they go over it and try and figure out what its about .Russia has added some laws pertaining to NGOs in the past but I think it had to do with making their funding more transparent .Looking at the White Helmets situation in Syria I can see why they did that .

Not to shift the focus , but it seems that both Canada and the US has some strange and even archaic laws on the books .Who would have thought that it would be legal to torture or have someone tortured but that seems to be the case .The US Patriot Act is one that I have heard lots of people criticize .

There is rumblings within the US on the need to ..........fake news ,so maybe Russia is taking similar steps or are ahead of the curve . The document seems to be a lot about information and having the ability to interject . Soros is big in news outlets and it may be to curb some of the neo-liberal ideology that that kind of thinking can produce .

Maybe Putin will take a hit on his approval ratings .He has almost god like status there at the moment .Have to keep a ear to the ground and see what Russians are saying .Or if they are allowed to say anything .

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Also, some sites that have lax rules then leave the members up to the rules of law (which would still mean it's not a freedom).

The corollary of freedom is the acceptance of consequences for your actions. Some great works of literature were written in the shadow of censorship, but eventually survived to get published.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Maybe Putin will take a hit on his approval ratings .He has almost god like status there at the moment .Have to keep a ear to the ground and see what Russians are saying .Or if they are allowed to say anything .

The Russian people have lived with censorship for centuries. Putin's popularity is not endangered so long as he wrestles a bear or something.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is Russian, so is what you are trying to say Americans don't have to worry about their freedoms, because look what Russia is doing, to be honest with you we are all globally being messed with, weather we are in USA, Russia, or China. We fight among ourselves, while our leaders lead us over the cliff edge. All the problems of the world are created not by working people but by our governments, if there were no problems they would not need to come up with solutions, and they would quickly become redundant.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Simon1967

This is Russian, so is what you are trying to say Americans don't have to worry about their freedoms, because look what Russia is doing, to

No, I am pointing out we still have the freedom to debate the issue. I urge everyone to let their representatives in government know how they feel.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

If that's your definition of "internet freedom", then all sites have it. You're free to post what you want on here, but there will be consequences if you break the T&Cs. The same goes for every other site out there.

But "internet freedom" isn't about accepting consequences for your actions. It's about freely doing what you want without ANY repercussions. That alone means the internet isn't a truly free place.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

But "internet freedom" isn't about accepting consequences for your actions. It's about freely doing what you want without ANY repercussions. That alone means the internet isn't a truly free place.

Everything has repercussions. If that is your definition of freedom it does not exist anywhere in the real world. It is sometimes called "the law of Karma."

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

it is a form of government censorship

This means Alex Jones will come out and say, "I said this 20 years ago.... and now it's just coming out." 10x

Then on camera Alex pats himself on the back.

edit on 9-12-2016 by imitator because: ADHD

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join