It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JS Brolo virus, does anyone know how to remove it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
A few weeks ago I updated all my drivers in attempt to get a game running, Im normally pretty careful but during this process it appears my lappy was a bit of a dirty girl and has let some dirty bugger in without protection. As a result she has a fairly severe virus known as JS Brolo.

Its an absolute pain in the ass, it constantly gives me that "your computer has been locked, please call microsoft support on this number" as well as occasionally highjacking my google searches to bing and every now and then popping up with a survey.

Ive tried every virus cleaner I could find, tried deleting all the downloads I did, playing with my chrome settings etc etc but nothing has worked.

While its not debilitating it is a major annoyance. Has anyone had any experience with this virus or have any tips on how to get rid of it short of a complete format?

Cheers in advance guys

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Try this microsoft app, it's free.
Link

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You should have given your computer a flu shot, it would have kept it from getting this virus. Just squirt the vaccine onto the motherboard when running and your computer would have never got the virus, it would have died during the vaccination. But it's death is immaterial just focus on the virus protection part.

Ok enough joking around, I haven't got a clue how to get rid of that virus without loading the antivirus software through safemode. I do not know if new computers even have safemode anymore.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Among the anti-virus, did you happen to try Malwarebytes ? Or Spybot Search and Destroy ?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Those 2 programs have saved me incalculable amounts of greif over a decade. I recommend them as well.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
Link

Im in the install screen and its telling me to remove any other security programs I have, the only one I currently have installed is CCleaner.

Should I remove it or is Microsoft just trying to make me dependent on them?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I tried malwarebytes but it didnt even find it.

Every few days CCleaner will pop up with a msg like "harmfull programs found on your PC".
It will show the JSBrolo thing and say its removed but it always comes back.

The 2nd time it happened I thought I got clever and checked the file path thinking I could delete the whole folder but the folder it says it exists in (Users/user/apps) doesnt exist on my lappy.

Its all very frustrating

edit on 3/12/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Also try this malwarebytes stand alone rootkit killer. It's also free.

link

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

The 2nd time it happened I thought I got clever and checked the file path thinking I could delete the whole folder but the folder it says it exists in (Users/user/apps) doesnt exist on my lappy.

Its all very frustrating
Maybe the folder is set to hidden, unhide the directory where the folder is and see if it's there?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Link

Im in the install screen and its telling me to remove any other security programs I have, the only one I currently have installed is CCleaner.

Should I remove it or is Microsoft just trying to make me dependent on them?
You can always reinstalCcleaner. maybe thats the app that's infected?

Edit to add: BTW Ccleaner is not a security app. You do have antivirus and malware protection installed right?
edit on 12 3 2016 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Its all very frustrating
Maybe the folder is set to hidden, unhide the directory where the folder is and see if it's there?

LOL

Im useless but not that useless

Even when I reveal hidden folders it still isnt showing up and a search of my pc in admin mode still doesnt show the folder that its meant to be in

Edit to add: BTW Ccleaner is not a security app. You do have antivirus and malware protection installed right?

I did have a malware thing installed (forgot the name) but I removed it when it failed miserably to remove the virus or protect me in the first place

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Every few days CCleaner will pop up with a msg like "harmfull programs found on your PC".

it should not do that, delete youre version of ccleaner.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
YES DOWNLOAD BOTH Malwarebytes AND REGULAR VERSION SPYBOT...

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO ALLOW UPDATING OF BOTH PROGRAMS BEFORE STARTING

FIRST RUN EACH SEPARATELY IN REGULAR MODE ..RESTART PC AFTER EACH RUN....
IF AFTER IT KEEPS FINDING BAD STUFF..
THEN RUN EACH SEPARATELY IN SAFE MODE...RESTARTING PC AFTER EACH RUN...
THEN TRY EACH ONE IN REGULAR MODE TO SEE IF IT FINDS ANYTHING AGAIN THE FINAL TIME

NOTE: DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN CHECKING BOXES FOR TOO MANY OF THE EXTRA FEATURE ADD ONS IN SPYBOT ..THAT JUST DIGS TOO DEEP AND DELETES TOO MANY GOOD FILES
SORRY CAP LOCK... DIDN'T WANT TO TYPE OVER

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

it should not do that, delete youre version of ccleaner.
Right i am thinking he got a fake ccleaner with malware in it.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaloonSal
YES DOWNLOAD BOTH Malwarebytes AND REGULAR VERSION SPYBOT...

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO ALLOW UPDATING OF BOTH PROGRAMS BEFORE STARTING

FIRST RUN EACH SEPARATELY IN REGULAR MODE ..RESTART PC AFTER EACH RUN....
IF AFTER IT KEEPS FINDING BAD STUFF..
THEN RUN EACH SEPARATELY IN SAFE MODE...RESTARTING PC AFTER EACH RUN...
THEN TRY EACH ONE IN REGULAR MODE TO SEE IF IT FINDS ANYTHING AGAIN THE FINAL TIME

NOTE: DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN CHECKING BOXES FOR TOO MANY OF THE EXTRA FEATURE ADD ONS IN SPYBOT ..THAT JUST DIGS TOO DEEP AND DELETES TOO MANY GOOD FILES
SORRY CAP LOCK... DIDN'T WANT TO TYPE OVER
BE careful too. there are fake versions of spybot search and destroy.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
For the nastier problems these programs have to be run in Safe Mode, or there is no hope of removal. I believe Malwarebytes has a forum that is extremely helpful. It's been a few years since i needed to post in the forum, but there is/was(?) a method to out put all of the variables and startup parameters to a file upload it to the forum, and from that the group, some moderators(employed by the company) and some just skilled desk jockey types will help as if they were being paid. With good clear instructions with good results. I was impressed. But it has been 7 years since these events.

The file you create will also make your PC an open book to the forum FYI, be warned.
edit on 12/3/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I ran Essentials once and it didnt find anything, normally I would say thats a good sign but Ive run several different malware programs and all have been the same.

Ive removed CCleaner and am currently doing a full scan which seems to be taking awhile.

After removing CCleaner it appears the tool bar that used to show up in Chrome and highjack my searches to Bing is gone but I think that happens occasionally anyway.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions, in hindsight I dont know why I didnt just come here as soon as it happens instead of trawling the interwebz looking at a ton of nonsense.

Keep your fingers crossed for me this works and cheers again

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Download any mentioned apps from cnet.com for safety's sake

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaloonSal
Download any mentioned apps from cnet.com for safety's sake
nix that. That how you get corrupted versions. go directly to the software developer sites.
edit on 12 4 2016 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
So essentials has finished its scan and says it found it, once again the same non existent folder, I removed it again and well see how we go.

Gonna reboot the lappy and have a random web browse to see how were travelling.

Thanks again

top topics

<<   2 >>

join