It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec.1st: Alphabet Agencies Can More Easily Hack Computers and Phones(of those suspected of crime)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Dec. 1st: Alphabet Agencies Can More Easily Hack Computers and Cellphones(of those suspected of crime)

Alphabet agencies are poised to have the go ahead "hacking" behind VPNs to browsers that protect privacy of those suspected of a crime. Dec. 1st is set to be the date when this is enacted.

See The Draft

Beginning at midnight on Thursday, December 1, 2016, anyone who uses a VPN, Tor browser, or other privacy protection tools can more easily get hacked by the government.

The FBI and other law enforcement agencies are scheduled to get expanded powers to remotely access and search computers, phones, and storage devices in cases where people suspected of being “related” to a crime use technological means to conceal their location.

That is, unless Congress takes action to stop these hacking powers from taking effect.

Fightforthefuture

A first challenge for privacy advocates comes this week: A new rule is set to go into effect on Dec. 1 letting the FBI get permission from a judge in a single jurisdiction to hack into multiple computers whose locations aren’t known.

“Under the proposed rules, the government would now be able to obtain a single warrant to access and search thousands or millions of computers at once; and the vast majority of the affected computers would belong to the victims, not the perpetrators, of a cybercrime,” Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat who serves on the Intelligence Committee, said in a statement.

Wyden is one of seven senators, including libertarian Republican Rand Paul, who have introduced a bill, S. 3475, to delay the new policy until July to give Congress time to debate its merits and consider amendments.

Bloomberg

Unfortunately the news is rather late but in a last ditch effort one may want to contact their Reps to getting the word out overall.

Additional sources are welcome.
edit on 30-11-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
woah, they will start hacking VPN's eh?? I am curious if downloading copyright content will be a suspicion that they may be permitted to hack on, or if this will be limited to national security type crimes ...

Makes me want to return the phone I just bought last month ...

Sounds more like Skynet is going online to me ...

or perhaps Genesys ....

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
woah, they will start hacking VPN's eh?? I am curious if downloading copyright content will be a suspicion that they may be permitted to hack on, or if this will be limited to national security type crimes ...

Same. don't know/see indication yet that it will be any more of less than what it is now with torrents.

Makes me want to return the phone I just bought last month ...

Sounds more like Skynet is going online to me ...

or perhaps Genesys ....

Been that way for a while now, they are just pushing it more because they can. See the UK's Investigatory Powers Bill(one source) for another crazy example of the overreach in power.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Nothing they haven't already been doing to high profile suspects. Tor was taken over by the alphabets a long time ago anyway if I remember correctly.

This just means they can do it on a larger scale without any backlash.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlongCamePaul
Nothing they haven't already been doing to high profile suspects. Tor was taken over by the alphabets a long time ago anyway if I remember correctly.

This just means they can do it on a larger scale without any backlash.

Basically will be free reign. With that is open for corruption of innocents being targeted.

top topics

join