It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone relax: President-Elect Trump is different than Republican Nominee Trump.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
So Trump, like every other politician ever, has reneged on the promises he made during his campaign. So much for being 'different'.

And his supporters are ok with this! The irony. Sucks having to admit you are wrong so may as well agree with anything and everything he says! Flawless logic there.

Didn't people vote for him because of the things he said while campaigning?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Given Trumps "art of the deal" mentality, I have wondered if Bannon is there to help him manipulate a certain segment of the population. In my opinion, the same segment Bannon has been manipulating for profit for quite a while now.

Just for grins, let's just assume we're not in Kansas anymore. When things don't makes sense, sometimes it's because we're looking for the familiar when in reality those things no longer exist in the same way. We're all sitting here wondering what kind of Republican Donny J might be, when maybe the GOP is not what we're looking at anymore

Steve Bannon, Trump's Top Guy, Told Me He Was 'A Leninist' Who Wants To ‘Destroy the State’

Then we had a long talk about his approach to politics. He never called himself a “populist” or an “American nationalist,” as so many think of him today. “I’m a Leninist,” Bannon proudly proclaimed.

Shocked, I asked him what he meant.

“Lenin,” he answered, “wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Bannon was employing Lenin’s strategy for Tea Party populist goals. He included in that group the Republican and Democratic Parties, as well as the traditional conservative press.

If you were going to give any credit whatsoever to either one of these two for having the ability to think their way out of a paper bag, would you give it to Donald - or Bannon?

I understand that it's all hearsay - don't know anything about the credentials of the reporter - or the source. But, it's interesting to think about and it makes sense out of nonsense

edit on 11/15/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
I would disagree with your sentiment about President Elect Trump. During the primary, I had thought and hoped that he was pulling a General Patton, where he spoke vulgar to get the media attention and to get people to listen to him. However what was seen during the campaign for the White House, was far more revealing and one that we should consider.

At many times he had an opportunity to walk back his comments and or possibly even go off on a tangent that would have gathered more people to vote for him. However, he did not do either and continued on his same vulgar position, even refusing to do what prior candidates have done before, release his tax records.

I do not believe he is going to change his tune or his nature, nor do I believe him to have such an understanding of people as he claims to have. One does not address one group and have a majority of another group there, or none of the group that is being talked about present. It does not bode well and shows a lack of even respect for the group in question.

While Donald Trump is a businessman, there is a very big difference between running a business and a multinational corporation, and running a country. The motivations on both are very much different and requires a different mindset. As a businessman hunches are perfectly acceptable, no problems there but as President, one at the helm of a country, the mindset is very much different, as are the rules and conduct that is expected of him. Words have meaning and they have to be carefully chosen and reviewed and never off the cuff remark. One misspoken word at say a state dinner or event, could result in the difference between an ally or a warming of relations or one where the situation could go south. He will have no choice but to watch what he says and how he acts, if he hopes to even have some relations with some countries around the world, and even then, there could be consequences that could come back to haunt the country in years to come.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Is nothing new there, I knew all that and more about Trump the president, the character assassination was all a concocted by the bias media

If you are a person that follows the politics in the nation you pretty much know what a president can do or not.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
*shrug*

Here's the thing:

Trump supporters took Trump seriously, but not literally.

Trump haters take Trump literally, but not seriously.

Will Trump follow through on all of his promises? Dunno. But I won't be surprised if he scales back.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

If you are a person that follows the politics in the nation you pretty much know what a president can do or not.

Not true at all actually, there are plenty of people who don't understand politics or the duties/abilities of the president that get caught up in group-think and support someone based on what other people on their Facebook post or who their family and friends support.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Correct. Trump did espouse some DP values, such as not touching Social Security or Medicare. However, he ran as a Republican and the RP platform will change those programs. IMO Trump will not stand up to a RP controlled Congress that demands privatization, among other changes.

He was able to win the RP nomination without leaning on those DP ides, so he will no longer espouse DP values. There may be minor fixes agreeable to both factions, but the RP platform is in control and demands major changes to both programs.

And Pence? Yes, all in with the RP platform, not values Trump once talked about. And, for sure, the Dominionist Christian Right has lain low but will be ready to have their elected Congressmen do their bidding. Again, Trump did not win on religious values.

Neither the Democratic Party nor the traditional Republican Party was victorious this election cycle. The Koch Private Party, the unknown privately funded political machine is now in charge of our federal government. Trump thought he was great "privately funding" a POTUS campaign. The Koch Bros were much cleverer, they bought an entire party.

my 2c data is up

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Jesus, another thread. Whats going on with ATS, starting to see how many seriously (must be heard, my point of view matters) people there is here.

Trump won, did not need to bother in the first place. Doing something to make those of you that are America, your country better. Unlike a has been Hilary that has been on the job years and solved nothing. Obama that has achieved.... I could not name anything he has achieved.

No idea how people can write so many threads about the same thing. What a load of junk!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
When a guy makes year long threats against all kinds of decency, and then shows up on your doorstep with a smile--- you don't assume he's different now. The appropriate response is something like "What the # are you doing here?" or "Get the # out of here." That's how you handle a guy like Trump when he shows up after saying all the vile things he said, making all these threats to your friends and neighbors. You say "Get the F out of here..."

From that point, if the guy is really changed, he'll understand and he'll seek serious amends... and try really hard to prove he's different. And it will take time to earn that trust... Absent of that, you are right to say "Go # yourself" and shut the door.

It's on him.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Whats going on with ATS, starting to see how many seriously (must be heard, my point of view matters) people there is here.

ATS is a discussion forum. What's going on is what's always gone on. People starting threads, and expressing their views.

Kind of like you just did.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
When a guy makes year long threats against all kinds of decency, and then shows up on your doorstep with a smile--- you don't assume he's different now. The appropriate response is something like "What the # are you doing here?" or "Get the # out of here." That's how you handle a guy like Trump when he shows up after saying all the vile things he said, making all these threats to your friends and neighbors. You say "Get the F out of here..."

From that point, if the guy is really changed, he'll understand and he'll seek serious amends... and try really hard to prove he's different. And it will take time to earn that trust... Absent of that, you are right to say "Go # yourself" and shut the door.

It's on him.

That would be true, if he were actually knocking on your door.

Instead, he's the POTUS, whether we like it or not. You can't really tell him to "get the F out of here." Well, I mean, you can, but he's not going anywhere for 4 years. And given America's disdain for switching Presidents mid-stream, it'll probably be 8. That's just how we roll as a nation.

And personally, I never took Trump seriously. I don't think he took himself seriously. I can't prove it, but I don't think he ever really wanted to win. I just think he wanted to campaign his ass off and start Trump TV.

Now that he realizes the burden on his shoulders, I personally interpret his softer rhetoric as a slide back toward his true leanings, which are far more liberal than the Brietbart crowd that Bannon was helping him work into a frenzy.

Of course, I could be wrong. I could be dead wrong.

But I'll refrain from making up my mind until I see what President Trump does, as opposed to what Candidate Trump said.

edit on 15-11-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

No idea how people can write so many threads about the same thing. What a load of junk!

This is the first thread I've ever started here.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Trump now says it might not be a wall everywhere

So he backpedaled, lied during the campaign. Sounds about right.

ON GAY MARRIAGE
Clearly he supports it. He says it's "decided law."

Yet his supreme court picks will likely not support it, and also likely have the power to reverse it.

There is a bit of a disconnect here because Roe V. Wade is also decided law, but I think the difference

Quite a bit of disconnect, actually. Or is more...hypocrisy.

Plus who he's getting together for his administration...

President-Elect Trump is different than Republican Nominee Trump.

Yup they're both #s who say what they want to get what they want. Just like the majority of every other politician.

Clearly you're in the denial phase of what has been reaped.

You people never cease to amaze me (with your excuses).

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesencea reply to: Greggers

Clearly you're in the denial phase of what has been reaped.

You people never cease to amaze me (with your excuses).

I found myself agreeing with most of what you said, and then you go and drop this nonsense.

I'm not in denial about anything.

Nor am I making excuses for anyone or anything.
edit on 15-11-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Trump is already creating more Jobs than Obama has in 8 years. He is truly amazing.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

Oh, for sure, that is how guys like Trump should be handled. But in this case, as Greggers said, he's the POTUS whether we like it or not. We owe it to something above one citizen, Trump; we owe it to the ideal of democracy upon which we were founded. However, we owe it to ourselves to fight the now firmly entrenched oligarchy, and there is a very narrow list of agreement, the rest is now opposition.

It is precisely democratic values (and in the system we were bequeathed) that should compel all to find compromise. However, a line must be quickly drawn (not over a course of 4 years!), because we have deviated from our system of compromise into opposition. As soon as Trumpa takes the oath of office, he is Pres Trumpa, and he, his administration, his party will watched and their actions challenged.

I also agree with the OP that Trump never meant to get this far. However, I interpret his soft rhetoric differently. Trump the narcissistic sociopath conman will say anything, do anything, to make a sale, and his biggest sale is himself. He cannot stand to lose himself, whether as a sale or emotionally. He will do all in his power to cover up any loss, whether it be a false persona or resorting to doubling down on lies and hatred.

You wrote, "if the guy is really changed". In my dealings with narcissistic sociopaths like Trump, they don't change. They are incapable of change! I actually feel sorry for Trumpa, but he did this to himself. Trumpa will never take personal responsibility for anything he does, it will always be someone else's or thing's fault, he will always find scapegoats.

A person like Trumpa should always be told to "Get the # out of here" when they show up at the door, because they won't be any different. Unfortunately, sometimes minor children are captive to parents like this and the door is always open. In a democracy that has just elected someone like this, we will have to quickly draw a line to put up with him, then we will have to no longer deal with him after that point.

And unlike being able simply to break off contact with a toxic parent, we will be forced (short of impeachment over high crimes and misdemeanors) to put up with a POTUS. But he must be held accountable at every moment! With very little on which to compromise, he must be opposed.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LumenImagoDei

You know that is something I never understood, people in the US tend to follow their political affiliations by party, no candidates, is like a tradition, the political candidate for their party can be nothing but a piece of trash but people vote for it because is faith base like religion.

I vote for candidates, I have not political affiliations of any kind.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

That's the entire point of the two party system, to divide people into groups and subgroups and get them at each others throats. This election was particularly effective in their strategy. Both candidates were/are just pawns in an even bigger game that only a few know about and control. We fall for it every time.
edit on 11/16/2016 by LumenImagoDei because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

There was a time in America (before 20 years ago) when both parties were comprised of liberals, moderates, and conservatives. Sometimes Americans used to vote "straight ticket", sometimes they would "cross party lines" to vote. I grew up in a family that did that.

For 20 years now, our parties have devolved into factions, with increasing disagreements. America was founded on the idea that the parties would "compromise" to govern effectively. It is no longer possible to find much on which to compromise. It is no longer possible to find candidates on "the other side" to vote for. That is why it seems that Americans stick to their party to vote now.

Plus, IMO Americans are now so focused on personality of a candidate over the platform of their party.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I like it when people riot. Every time people riot CEOs raise wages.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join